Ten Thousand Villages

Updated July 26, 2014
Updated July 26, 2014

3.9

Pamela A. Raffensberger

Supportive work environment, respected by management

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

The paid staff at my store location have a collaborative dynamic with mutual respect and a clearly defined division of labor. The volunteer staff are appreciated as integral to our sales success. Our store company culture reflects the corporate level and producer level culture. Our interactions with the home office are positive, and we feel supported from the local, regional, and national level. I have autonomy in the creative aspects of my position, teamwork in the broader tasks, and have never felt micro-managed at any level.

Cons

No health insurance as a full-time employee in my location.
    Brick and mortar stores are facing an uphill battle due to the push to drive online sales.

The store experience should never have been sacrificed to the gods of ECommerce, and the current attempt to attract new customers to brick and mortars should have been the original strategy, rather than the current attempt to fix the created problem.

Great company to work for

Pros

company has a great mission to help people all over the world, got to work with a variety of products and do various tasks

Cons

compensation isn't the greatest if you work in the warehouse

Great organization to volunteer with

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Nashville, TN

Pros

Intelligent, dedicated volunteer pool. Beautiful merchandise. Safe, convenient location.

Cons

Sometimes can be a bit quiet when traffic is slow

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent mission driven company to work for

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Ten Thousand Villages is an amazing company to work for. Its mission to provide vital income to artisans in developing countries is its driving force, and is shared through a network of stores across the US. As a store employee, I was invested in through leadership training, travel experience, and opportunities for growth. The working environment is excellent--filled with very positive "do-good" people, from the staff to the board members, volunteers and customers.

Cons

Many stores operate on a break-even budget, which puts pressure on the bottom line and tight limitations on the pay/benefits structure.

Expect your job to be a labor of love. You may not be paid a lot, but the mission, people and handicrafts will inspire you every day!

great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

This is a company that truly lives it's mission. The company is truly dedicated to improving the lives of the disadvantaged artisans that create their product. I always felt my opinion was valued at Ten Thousand Villages and appreciated being on a first name basis with everyone from the CEO on down.

Cons

Ten Thousand Villages is a growing company, trying to find a way to be a successful alternate trade organization on a large scale. The process at times has been a painful growth!

Resist the urge to become to rigid and bound by rules. The true strength of the organization can be found in its diversity.

Great morals!...little support

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

This company has a great mission to provide people from developing countries with a sustainable income. They are a non-profit and I truly believe in what they are doing and how they are helping people. Those who want to support fair trade are repeat customers.

Cons

This is essentially a gift shop. They want sales high... but even with repeat customers its difficult for them to find anything they "need" and a large amount of items do not appeal to the general population. The bulk of the responsibility for driving traffic into the stores is placed on the individual stores. You are expected to constantly promote the business in all situations and reach out to the community in which the store is placed. This would be fine if the budget allowed for more than just minimal staff which is why they stress the need for volunteers.

Advertise BUT get input from each store as to the correct market to hit. Also and VERY important if you want to act like a true corporate retailer then you need to adjust the type of merchandise being shipped to the various regions of the country. What sells in Virginia might not work in the west or northeast.

Absolutely loved working there, did not like how I left.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Wonderful morals
    Great merchandise
    Overall warm and welcoming environment

Cons

The challenges only came when a new manager was hired. I was a seasonal worker and when I returned from school, found that she removed me from the payroll without notice. Every employee that I had worked with is no longer there (even those who were employed since the store's opening in 2008) due to poor relations with this new manager. Apparently she wrongfully accused one of theft (later finding the misplaced items and neglecting to apologize for the misunderstanding) and another of plotting against her (really?). Of course, these were isolated incidents and in no way, shape, or form reflect the morals of the larger corporation. I truly miss working there and I just wish things would have been handled differently.

Thoughtful Organization

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

the training and leadership from the national office provided at the local level is really helpful

Cons

long retail hours, not much room to earn more

cramping local stores' ability to compete with the national website's sales is demoralizing

Up followed by down

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The clientele is actually pretty nice. Not a bunch of teenagers or overly rich white women being too demanding.

Cons

Let's not fool ourselves, it's still retail and it's still a business that has to find a bottom line.

You can not start off employees at a high level any to strip it away months after hiring. It's bittersweet and feels like getting hit by a bus.

My Experience

Pros

Wonder atmosphere, very casual and friendly in the beginning.

Cons

Too Casual, too biased with groups of older employees who have history, no open to innovation to improve work, people are held to individual standards which makes it feel unfair.
    Some departments conducts themselves to general employees and harass them even bullying. Pay freeze, financial issues, doesn't make you feel secure. The demographic are older employees, or employees who has children grown or in college, it doesn't cater very well to those who are young to middle ages and has a household of 12 and under children.

The new flex time, if kept I understand it is fair to be across the board, but its not working out for a lot. It should be an individual basis.

Worked for Ten Thousand Villages? Contribute to the Community!