Tenable Network Security

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Ron Gula

Great Perks, Senior Management is Good, and a Great Work Life Balance

Columbia, MD

ProsThe compensation and benefits are higher than the average for my postion. The enviornment is also very laid back. Basically as long as you get your work done in a timely and professional manner, then you are good to go.

ConsI really haven't noticed any so far. I have read the other reviews and personally, in my department I have not had any of the management issues that are outlined.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing.

Great security company, to many internal communication issues

ProsFlexible work environment - lots of tele work
    company perks - sponsored movie nights, picnics, amusement parks etc
    employee event bonding events
    can move career from one department to another

ConsCommunication issues across the company. Seems like two separate companies internally - Nessus vs Enterprise products
    Development, QA, Engineering and Sales are never in sync
    Too many changes in product direction and not enough communication from upper management to sales

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation that meets market values
    Don't rely on self reviews on a yearly basis and no feedback from management
    Communication of company direction and products to sales and engineering more frequently

Great company to work for.

Techie (Current Employee)
    Remote, OR

ProsQuite frankly, the best feature is the ability to work with very intelligent people without having to go into an office. The phrase "time is money" is wrong - Time is much more valuable than money.

ConsMoney is a little tighter than with some corps...however, as a shareholder, that might actually be a pro. With rapid growth, it is sometimes hard to know who you should be contacting in corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs companies grow, so too does the bureaucratic overhead. This can stifle creativity. Perhaps this is inevitable as a company grows?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent chance to make security tools better and have fun doing it

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsTelework options are handled well. Flexibility and teamwork, great support from internal IT. Culture of doing things right and making processes better. Management will change your work if you're no longer challenged by it, just ask.

ConsStandard telework risks. Don't be a stranger to your teammates, keep motivated.

Great work environment

ProsProductive environment
    Flexibility
    Company passion and enthusiasm

ConsNone that I have noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being enthusiastic and show your passion to the employees - it rubs off!

Great technology and people.

Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsTenable is small, privately owned and very fast-moving. Their technology is great and they have some absolutely awesome people on their team, including the founders.

ConsTenable has some odd culture issues. For instance, if you leave, nobody there is allowed to recommend you or discuss you, on pain of termination. Second, don't even try to move to another department in the company. They also consider this a firing offense.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the above and ask yourself if ANY OTHER COMPANY (that anyone would want to work at) operates this way. The answer is no. Other than that, fabulous company and I love the products.

Unethical

ProsIt is a job if you are desperate!

ConsSales mid management unethical. Takes credit for your ideas. Will stab you in your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing games!

Awesome place to work. Company is growing super fast. Great industry to be in.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsSurrounded by industry leaders who are actively involved in your everyday work life.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Very rewarding place to work if you're a self starter

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsVery hands off management, freedom to innovate, large role in decision making, ability to work remote, great vision from management

ConsLittle feedback from the field, working with sub-par employees,

Advice to Senior ManagementLay out more concrete positions, so employees have something to work towards in advancing their career

A good company for long-term growth

Columbia, MD

ProsTenable has been an excellent company to work for with a friendly environment for a company that's growing very quickly. They have a market-leading product and a decent training program. I have never been denied new opportunities with Tenable and have found that they tend to reward hard work and innovation without rewarding incompetence. Tenable has been very open to sharing their profits with employees, which has encouraged loyalty.

ConsCommunication from the C-levels is great, but between departments can be lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management and skilled employees should be encouraged to make more weighty decisions, even if they make mistakes occasionally.

Worked for Tenable Network Security? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tenable Network Security reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tenable Network Security CEO Ron Gula. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Tenable Network Security employees.