Tendril Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.5
Adrian Tuck

Great culture, transparent upper management, and fantastic work / life balance.

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, all very nice people (no big egos), transparent upper management (weekly all hands meetings), and an amazing culture that really embraces work / life balance. I'd also mention that hard work is recognized.

Cons

After thinking about his and walking away from the computer, I still can't think of single, mentionable "con" associated with Tendril.

Advice to Management

Continue to take the companies culture seriously and be approachable to all employees.

2. Tendril has a lot going for it and would also benefit from some more creative thinking

I have been working at Tendril full-time

Pros

Really great people and culture with a couple of exceptions. Company is growing quickly and shows strong potential. C level management is quite strong, proactive and looking to hire and retain great people. Good benefits and PTO. People work well together and are a lot of fun.

Cons

While the culture and people are great for the most part, mid-level management is a bit shaky and not adept at clearing the hurdles required for successful execution. Mid-level management tends to short-term thinking at the expense of mid and longer term success - with that thinking quality is spotty. Work hours can be long and often include weekends to meet short term deadlines that are often arbitrary. Blame for failure tends to be directed at individual contributors without recognition of systemic issues that impede execution. Salaries are low compared with other comparable local employers.

Advice to Management

Tendril could be a great place to work if systemic execution issues were proactively tackled. A positive approach to removing impediments that affect successful execution would go along way toward improving the workplace. Fail fast -- a creative approach to problem solving would be more helpful than sticking to policies that historically produce poor results.

It's all about the people and the mission

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at Tendril since 2008 and while the ride has been bumpy at times (as you would expect at a startup), I have really enjoyed the work and the folks that make up the company. Our leadership has been willing to make some hard decisions when needed and coupled with the talent they have brought on board, have positioned us for a lot of success. I think one measure of how much I love it here is that I have been commuting 43 miles each way for 7 years and have never been tempted to look for something closer to home! (I am enjoying the new Denver office, but still try to make it up to Boulder once a week.)

Cons

Many of our customers are large utilities. While they do a good job of pushing us to be our best, they are not always the fastest movers when it comes to awarding contracts. This can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Consider carefully before pushing a team to achieve stretch goals. Sometimes, moving too fast can result in moving backward. I understand we're in a dynamic business environment, but worry that we leave impediments in our path that will trip us up in the future.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - UI Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Tendril full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company leadership / management, great company culture, cutting edge technologies, very intelligent / passionate / cool / sociable co-workers, great work / life balance, unlimited PTO, excellent pay and benefits, free food / beer / booze, ping pong, located on the bike path and a new office in Denver - which is awesome!

Cons

Their office is located right on the Boulder Creek Bike Path, so, biking / running / walking and saying / getting healthy is in your future... Is that a 'con'? Hmm...

Advice to Management

I respect and enjoy the transparency and availability of all of the staff. I enjoy the flexibility to work from home, Boulder or Denver.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture! Refocused company that has learned from past experiance to grow at a smart rate. Very Knowleadgable engineers that are supported by a management team that empowers everyone to make an real impact to the organization.

Cons

Fast pace can be overwhelming if you are not used to it.

Advice to Management

Continue to set the bar high for new employees cultural fit and techincal prowess as well as keep the management structure flat.

Best place I've worked during my professional career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional growth Great management team Fun work environment Engaging products Smart, friendly and considerate coworkers

Cons

Growing company which lends to: less structure job security fewer resources

Advice to Management

Continuing doing what your doing

Excellent place to work; People are amazing

I have been working at Tendril full-time

Pros

-Culture -People are fun and nice to work with; everyone is always willing to help each other out; everyone also has a great time doing things together outside of work (parties, office happy hours, softball, etc) -Lots of opportunity to do new things and/or get involved in company initiatives -Company is still small enough making it easy to find answers to things -Management takes a lot of time to keep employees plugged in on things like how the company is doing, company news, retreats for employees to work together to help shape the company -The benefits are amazing; some of the best benefits I've ever had from a company; makes me feel valued; all my friends are jealous when they hear of our benefits -Lots of in-office free food; just another example of caring management and culture; people feel taken care of, valued, and feels good to work for this company

Cons

-Lots of change happening right now, i.e. many new hires, changes in what we offer and branding changes; nervous that so much change within a short period of time may jeopardize the great culture that we have now

Advice to Management

If possible, slow down the new hire process to ensure we get the right people in the door. Hiring too aggressively has the potential to backfire on a company.

best place I ever worked

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let's put it this way, I commute 30 miles each way from Denver for Tendril. I feel lucky to be part of a group of talented and driven people. I've learned so much in my role and it's nice to have managers who see your strengths and find ways for you to shine in those areas. The culture is great, and everyone likes to laugh. The exec team is invested in you and Tendril does really feel like a family, which is important to me. And the perks are amazing.

Cons

The commute, but I knew that going in. Can be a bit noisy sometimes, but the energy in the office is great overall.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communication, we appreciate knowing what's going on. Keep rewarding hard workers.

Not just lip service

I have been working at Tendril full-time

Pros

You always hear people talking up a companies culture, but often times the environment doesn't meet your expectations after interviewing. This is hands-down the best culture I've ever been a part of. From the CEO's weekly update, the open floor plan, and the team first mentality - you really are part of a large family at Tendril. The company does the right thing and is highly ethical. There is also a level of trust that you have at the company that any professional would love. The company expects you to work hard, but there is also a ton of flexibility - including unlimited vacation time. Of course, if you abuse this and don't do what's expected of you this won't apply to you. But for professionals, it's perfect. The compensation is competitive and the health insurance can't be beat.

Cons

It's a fast-paced environment and requires the ability to shift quickly. I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing, but the its not for everyone. The open floor plan took some time to get use to, but now the collaboration and team work that comes out of it is a pro. The con would be at times it can get rather loud.

Advice to Management

Keep culture, keeping customers happy, and 'doing the right thing' front and center. What's been built here at Tendril is quite unusual, and the last thing that needs to happen is to have management back off on these important things that make this company different. Keep aspiring to be the 'Best Company anyone has ever worked for.'

Challenging and meaningful work at a startup that got it's groove back

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Tendril full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technology stack is shiny and interesting (finagle, docker, micro-service architectures, big data), the problems are rewarding (behavioral energy conservation, moving the needle on a greener world), and the culture is fun and inclusive. There is a real team-oriented feel among engineering here. We have the same ups and downs as any other organization, and there are the same kinds of technology warts you'll see in any company's stack, but those always feel secondary to actually solving the problem, meeting our commitments, and moving the ball forward. There's also a lot of trust in engineering, and the leads and the VP are great at asking the hard questions but not being prescriptive about solutions. The culture is also great. We all work in an open office so communication is easy, but there are quiet spaces available to go heads down if you need to. There is a weekly catered all-hands where account managers, sales, marketing, engineering and the executives all provide status to the company, good or bad, so that everyone's aware of what's going on. That has been very refreshing. There's also a fair amount of ping-pong tournaments, potlucks, retreats and outside events both Tendril and employee-organized to balance things out. Tendril 2.0 (as we call it now) really feels like a completely different company, and a pretty great place to work.

Cons

In engineering, it can be a little rough at times. The timelines are tight, the problems hard, and we do have some legacy technologies that feel like they work against you at times. The hours can be a little long near the edge of a deadline, and the "work hard / play hard" see-saw can feel a little lopsided.

Advice to Management

Keep things open -- that is super valuable to us.

RSS Feed </> Embed