Tenet Healthcare Reviews

130 reviews filtered by
2.7
Tenet Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Trevor Fetter
Trevor Fetter

Pros
  • My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013 (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers at the facility level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities (in 4 reviews)

• It's all about money game for upper management (in 4 reviews)

1. Dysfunctional and disrespectful

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous time off policy. Bonuses and some raises exceptionally good this year. Good strategies for growth and financial health of the company. Free parking for employees in the main office downtown Dallas (but the garage is across the street and seems scary at night). Some departments have good leaders who respect employees and the skills they bring to the job. They treat people properly and reward them well.

Cons

Dysfunctional. Leaders are out of touch with employees in many departments. Leaders in some key departments disrespect others and don't have a concept of anyone else having previous assignments, needing to have some work-life balance. There is no solid culture at the main office in Dallas. It's all about work, and usually last-minute fake emergencies because the leaders don't plan ahead and they don't care about what employees might already have on their to-do lists. HR is a train wreck. The leaders in that organization have no idea about a real strategy (having just a few priorities and carrying them out the right way). They have a superior attitude based on nothing substantive. The HR department thinks it owns culture, but if that is true they're doing a terrible job. There is little pride among a majority of employees. There are multiple programs to reward and train current and future senior leaders but nothing that reaches down into middle management or newer employees. It is all about recognition and rewards for primarily the most senior people or favored people. It's disgusting and disheartening that Tenet only cares about a minority of employees and does nothing to support other employees who have the same potential to succeed and grow as others who are favored. Benefits are very much behind the times. Weak 401k plan. Bad and expensive health insurance - kinda funny given that Tenet is in the healthcare business. No health club onsite. Again -- insane, given that Tenet is in healthcare. No real diversity programs. They talk about having them but they should learn from the organizations that have real diversity programs. The CEOs from the hospitals and some other leaders had a meeting recently at a major, very nice resort. It was supposed to be a networking and learning event for them. I cannot imagine how much was spent on a lavish event like that, while some other employees are working their tails off. Couldn't that event be held at a less expensive location, and with less frills? Do you know how that really looks when seen from the eyes of your employees?

Advice to Management

Start planning ahead. It is not okay to do things at the last minute and expect employees to drip all plans to carry out your whims. It is not okay to say that is just how things are at Tenet and then dump on other employees. Other companies get it right, so why can't you? Be willing to admit you have a lot of work to do, and you are not that great. Be willing to support a real positive culture. Don't talk about something with pride when you don't really have it. I beg our CEO and his leadership to completely reorganize HR and get some people in there from companies that know what a great HR organization can be like. That group needs a major overhaul, and it needs it now.

2. Staff registered nurse

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Bartlett, TN
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Bartlett, TN

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff are wonderful to work with! From housekeeping to RN, they are the glue. The location is desirable and the parking is free.

Cons

The management lacks continuity. Policies and procedures are a "cut and paste" from another facility; administration falsely reports infection rates to be zero, and doesn't seem to care about patients, only the share holder's bottom line. RNs typically have 7-8 high acuity patients and the charge nurse always has an assignment that is just as heavy - so they can't help their fellow nurses out.

Advice to Management

Patient care is supposed to be what we are about. Cutting corners to save a few pennies, staffing units unsafely, and ignoring staff concerns will eventually lead to more sentinel events than have already happened.

3. hospital

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

work hours, small campus, easy to navigate.

Cons

company's cultures promotes bad behavior.

Dissapointed

I worked at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Not much, maybe some few nice staff remained to work on some units.

Cons

Where to begin? Poor administration that didn't care much about the staff, making money was their first priority, no transperency regarding important changes, no employee support, minimal education for staff. Horrible culture in some units. Stressful environment to work with some staff members.

Advice to Management

Working in healthcare is about compassion, caring, leadership, having the capacity to listen, to want to learn and improuve. If you don't have these qualities maybe it's not the right job for you.

This company has no true understanding of healthcare. They only understand profit.

Former Employee - Physician in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Physician in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. They are a large company

Cons

Poor pay, overworking is expected. Then they fire you after 4 years

Advice to Management

Listen to the doctors and the community, not your profit shareholders

Disappointing

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits offered were pretty good, they had resources, they just weren't cumbersome to navigate through. The physicians were very nice and the HR department was helpful and great at offering guidance.

Cons

No transparency, no training, structure. For such a large company I'm surprised at the lack of Leadership and direction. They do the complete opposite of setting you up for success. This was one of the worst places I have ever worked at in the past 25 years.clear set of expectations

Advice to Management

Offer a training program, set clear and realistic expectations and operate with integrity.

Cannot Wait to Leave

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the corporate headquarters, the office closes for a week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. It's like an extra week of vacation. We get holidays like MLK Jr Day and Presidents Day, something that other companies don't offer. Company is growing and had a very good 2014. Free parking (but it is not close).

Cons

Ironically, the health insurance is the worst I've ever had. The 401K is behind the times with a poor match compared to other major companies. Even though we have free parking it is in a scary garage that is not all that close. It is a scary walk at night. They won't let anyone park in our actual building except the leaders who are vice presidents and above. Bland and tired offices with the worst cubicles. No one has any privacy. You can't make a phone call or have a conversation without everyone getting into your business. The office in downtown Dallas is making things worse with an expansion that the management lies about and says will be great. No. We will have flat desks. Nothing else. No place to store anything. It is a pathetic and employees are mad about what is coming. The CEO makes over $20 million a year but he won't pay for offices or even better cubicles. He is not in tune with employees. Human resources doesn't care about employees either. HR people think they are operating modern programs but they are not. There is no culture - but they keep telling themselves there is. The way things work there is always at the last minute. The people in charge do not try to change things for the better but instead they say the crazy last minute demands are just the way things are at Tenet and to get used to it. In my department there is no balance. You are expected to read your emails 24-7, and to work late without notice at any time, at the last minute. The dress code at Tenet is so behind the times. They say it's business casual but it's really not. Most people feel like they need to dress up. Friday is casual day, but even then you cannot wear tennis shoes to work. What year is this? 1958?

Advice to Management

Stop behaving as if you are elite and better than your employees. Start behaving like people who run a modern company. Right now you behave like a petty, bickering family-run business. Make our benefits competitive. Fix the weak health insurance. Do something about the bad office environment. Conduct real performance reviews, not the fake ones you do now, where you just give money to your favorites.

9. What's patient care? Where's the $$

Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Modesto, CA

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits thanks to Seiu healthcare union, excellent doctors, nurses and allied staff.

Cons

Management is greedy, slave drivers who bully employees and track there every move. This billion dollar company cares more about making that almighty dollar than treating patients

Advice to Management

Find some rope and a tree..

Not recommended

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

They pay well.
    standard 2 weeks PTO and nine company holidays.
    I don't have much else

Cons

I feel like everyone on my floor only shows up for the paycheck. That's no judgement, I just need a purpose beyond $ to get up in the AM. We never talk about patients or the impact what we do has on them.

The place is so big and so many people are confused it takes months to learn where to go for anything. Half the company support is outsourced to Dell and no one ever seems to know who does what. I sit by 20 people and maybe 2 are actual Tenet employees. The rest are contractors from various companies. It makes the culture bland, $ centered and depressing. No one has any fun at work because everyone works as if a 2 minutes break will get them fired.

They pay well...because their health insurance is expensive. I've never worked for a healthcare company with worse insurance. Feeling like I can't protect my loved ones is a cause of great stress.

They don't offer tuition reimbursement which makes me feel like they aren't interested in employee personal growth, but that could be me.

401K match is 50% up to first 6% but it requires that you be with the company 1000 hours before you qualify.. Basically if you get hired at the wrong time it might be two years before you're eligible for a match.

Advice to Management

Work harder to develop a patient centered culture

Too much stress

Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Hard to find, hopefully things will change before Tenet sells our facility.

Cons

Not enough employees to get the work done. High employee turnover due to stress. No training for new employees. Being threatened to be fired if you cannot collect money.
    Employees need to be included in the Review and Revamp. of processes that do not work.

Dead end job, no room for advancement..

Advice to Management

Stop looking at employees as dollar bills. Stop firing long time employee's who have experience, and hiring those with no experience within the healthcare field..
      Come and work in the department's to see what it is like. Do on site reviews on the Directors to see how they are treating employees.
    Employees should be able to rate management to improve relationships.