Tenet Healthcare

Updated December 4, 2014
2.8

Tenet Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Trevor Fetter
Trevor Fetter

Pros
  • My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013 (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers at the facility level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities (in 4 reviews)

• It's all about money game for upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not enough staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, MI

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

The people here are helpful & we all try to assist each other. The culture among employees is good.

Cons

There is not enough staff on the units. The administration howls loud & long about the fact that press-ganys are down. They ignore the obvious reason, not enough people! Just telling nurses & pcas to run faster won't work!

Try noticing the obvious! less staff equals longer response time to answer call lights! If the patients are not happy (they aren't, trust me!), they will go elsewhere

Small town big hell.

Former Employee - Surgery Hospital Aid in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Surgery Hospital Aid in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Tenet Healthcare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is really "nice" and helpful. Small group that enjoy each other's personal stories.

Cons

To survive everyone brown noses up to the charge nurse. If your values are greater than backstabbing and psychological intimidation than They will shun you from the group.

Passive aggressive intimidation to avoid employees will only work for so long. Hormonely imbalanced confrontations by those in charge is not leadership. Good Samaritan in West Palm Beach will continue to lose emplyees as well as doctors because their management is not leadership based. The operating room culture is nothing less than a Salem Witches trial.

"Flexing"

Current Employee - Radiology in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Radiology in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing good I have to say is that I enjoy helping people in need of a smile.

Cons

Where should I start? Poor working conditions do to a deteriorating facility that only gets band aids on a gaping wound. Department directors cutting employee hours do to "flexing" in order to get a bonus (we employees are not blind), when you "flex" employees, you compromise patient care (maybe that's why tenet shelled out close to 900 million dollars in 2013 to lawsuits). A CEO making over 23 million dollars in 2013, yet we can't hire the extra help we need. It's mind boggling that this company is still a float. But what do I know, I'm just the little worker ant making sure the "Queen" gets his/her bonus on the expense of my back. I'm trying my hardest to find another job and say I was able to jump ship before it sank.

All the schooling in the world will never teach you common sense.

battlefield!

Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO
    Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a check and maybe a raise if they do not cheat you out of the annual raise, which they did twice to us.

Cons

Like working with terminal cancer!

Admin should Start addressing the working staff and not the management, to much fear in the corporate ladder they will tell you what you want to hear, all the while the working staff suffers. The worst place I have worked in 25 years and I was in the 90-91 desert storm war. “Quote” be lucky you have a job, beware of any company that has the balls to say this to a working employee.

Unreasonable expectation of profitability without adequate support.

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good initial salary. All the standard "baits" are in place. If you do not mind having to find a new job after the initial honeymoon period, bait and switch is over, you have arrived to the right place.

Cons

Not so great health plan, very low matching 401k. The pressure to be profitable as a provider starts ridiculously early, well before it is reasonable considering the support offered by them. Very poor managing and very poor market strategy.

Money is important, but quality personnel are golden. You need to be willing to invest in order to reap.

They are a prime example of what is wrong with US healthcare

Current Employee - Contract Physician in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Contract Physician in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of except that the checks did not bounce.

Cons

Underhanded and no loyalty to physicians, other employees, or in the communities where their hospitals are located.

Do NOT care all about the atient, which is all that should matter in healthcare.

confess and repent- maybe more whistle blower lawsuits?

Horrible

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a place to work while I find something better.

Cons

Pay is dramatically lower that competitors. Benefits are horrible.

Get it together.

Bad company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High turnover means you can climb faster, but few last long.

Cons

Home office seems to think employees are expendable. This is a perfect a ample of how a nation wide system does understand regional dynamics.

Terrible benefits and pay comparative to competitors. The health reimbursement plan is expensive. There is a discount if you use a tenet employed physician, but there aren't any in our region. Genius! So we are paying more for less benefit. Another home office oversight.

No pension and a 1 percent 401k match. Thanks for the help. The two thee systems in our area offer higher pay, pensions and 5 percent 401k matches. Everyone at my facility is waiting to leave for another system.

Clueless Organization

Current Employee - R N in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - R N in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with on the floor are great.

Cons

Tenet is a clueless organization that puts profit above the welfare of their employees. Patient care is bad due to a lack of resources and facilities are old, run down, and unsafe. I would not recommend my family or friends get care at a tenet facility.

The wages are dramatically below the standard for our market. The benefits get substantially worse each year. They just eliminated the PPO plan, and no longer contribute to HSA's. It is hard to every feel secure at this company when the emphasis is never on employee satisfaction or retention.

It would fall on deaf ears.

Terrible Company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers at the facility level. A-Team seems to try their best despite a clueless home office. Front line staff is awesome.

Cons

While individual facilities are run by great people, the corporate entity is as bad as they come. They are completely out of touch and create an environment of fear to gain profitability. The corporate office puts shareholders ahead of all else. Anyone, in any position, could be fired in order to hit budget. Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities. I can't even begin to comprehend the reasoning behind some of their decisions. Either they encourage turnover to keep costs down, or are truly incompetent- either of which is unacceptable.

Benefits are beyond terrible. Wages are below market standards in every department. There is no loyalty towards employees from home office.

Tenet is a place to work, while you search for something better- Nothing more.

Individual management is doing a great job. Home office is hopeless. On an individual note, I do not normally advocate for unionization, but would fully encourage it at my facility. It is probably the only means for employees to give themselves a fair shake in our market.