Tenet Healthcare Reviews

It's a job!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

its come a LONG time way since I started working here many years ago but has a ways to go still. Recently we were fortunate enough to finally have a very decent amount of funding for our hospital to updat so many pieces of antiquated equipment and monitoring systems in almost every department. So very necessary in light of the many changes in healthcare today.

Cons

Compensation is low for this area. Huge deal made about discussing salary with anyone else (dismissable offense) not really sure that's legal! Under new leadership very recently, hoping this will somehow change attitudes. Hospital really doesn't follow its own rules, (Policy and procedures) except when the JCAHO inspections come up then everyone tries to remember the correct rules not the ones that were being followed since last inspection.

If you leave employment with Tenet Health work somewhere else for a bit and then negotiate your return you could end up making more than your manager! If you stay employed with Tenet for a long time your increases are smaller than cost of living rise. New graduates can come in at barely just lower than you are paid having been there for a decade or longer. Really can't understand why management can't see this. What is the incentive to really want to work to your best capacity?
    Leadership? It's just not there. People get promoted, not because they deserve it but because they have been there the next longest and therefore get it. They are not trained for the respective managerial, lead nurse, head tech job but have to figure it out. Many don't stay long. What's the point?

2. Tenet is a nice company to work for but some employees and management are lazy.

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Tenet has some nice benefits package.

Cons

They give a difficult time for taking time off work. And some of the policy is ridiculous. They expect you to be "100% perfect.

Director

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some wonderful, talented and very hard-working colleagues. In addition, salaries at Tenet tend to be very competitive for both the market, industry and skill level. They do reward their employees financially - and for that I am grateful. I also believe that, overall, from a financial standpoint, Tenet is a very well-run company. I also believe that Trevor Fetter, the CEO, is incredibly smart and is probably one of the most skilled CEOs I've ever seen. That deserves to be said.

Cons

Many departments at headquarters (which Tenet calls "the Home Office") are poorly managed. Leaders can be incredibly difficult to work with, changing their minds at whim and expecting you to work sometimes ridiculous hours (and often do the job of more then one person - literally!). There's no such thing as work-life balance for many leaders at Tenet. Instead, they refer to "work-life integration." Finally, at headquarters, every single employee is forced to work in a cubicle - including the CEO. It's horrific. There is absolutely ZERO privacy, and it's often so loud it's virtually impossible to get any serious or significant work done. It's ridiculous - and every single employee that you talk to at headquarters HATES it. In this aspect, the working conditions are a TOTAL JOKE.

Disappointing

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits offered were pretty good, they had resources, they just weren't cumbersome to navigate through. The physicians were very nice and the HR department was helpful and great at offering guidance.

Cons

No transparency, no training, structure. For such a large company I'm surprised at the lack of Leadership and direction. They do the complete opposite of setting you up for success. This was one of the worst places I have ever worked at in the past 25 years.clear set of expectations

Offer a training program, set clear and realistic expectations and operate with integrity.

6. Love the people I work around.

Current Employee - Medical Secretary in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Medical Secretary in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The location is great, my unit has flexible hours and scheduling. many people have gone on to higher positions within the company. They help contribute to tuition costs.

Cons

Management is always fixing things late: parking, equipment, and staffing. Administration would rather redecorate for a quick sale then to put in any better raises.

Have some type of humbleness and humility.

7. My experience has overall been positive, I've learned a lot and worked hard.

Current Employee - Meeting Planner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Meeting Planner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

I have learned a ton from my industry, have great mentors to learn from, and they care about your overall career path and learning as much as you can. Great pay.

Cons

Little to no work-life balance, long hours, everyone is so busy that sometimes there is no one to turn to for help, very stressful environment.

Make more time to give employees a break and make work fun and not just always go, go, go. Staff certain departments with more employees - you have the money!

8. Experience

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

Lots of talented associates, though turnover was high and a lot of good people were leaving...

Cons

Negative work environment; poor employee morale... Culture of organization emphasized financials over all else.

Over emphasis on nepotism and hiring friends...

Cannot Wait to Leave

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In the corporate headquarters, the office closes for a week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. It's like an extra week of vacation. We get holidays like MLK Jr Day and Presidents Day, something that other companies don't offer. Company is growing and had a very good 2014. Free parking (but it is not close).

Cons

Ironically, the health insurance is the worst I've ever had. The 401K is behind the times with a poor match compared to other major companies. Even though we have free parking it is in a scary garage that is not all that close. It is a scary walk at night. They won't let anyone park in our actual building except the leaders who are vice presidents and above. Bland and tired offices with the worst cubicles. No one has any privacy. You can't make a phone call or have a conversation without everyone getting into your business. The office in downtown Dallas is making things worse with an expansion that the management lies about and says will be great. No. We will have flat desks. Nothing else. No place to store anything. It is a pathetic and employees are mad about what is coming. The CEO makes over $20 million a year but he won't pay for offices or even better cubicles. He is not in tune with employees. Human resources doesn't care about employees either. HR people think they are operating modern programs but they are not. There is no culture - but they keep telling themselves there is. The way things work there is always at the last minute. The people in charge do not try to change things for the better but instead they say the crazy last minute demands are just the way things are at Tenet and to get used to it. In my department there is no balance. You are expected to read your emails 24-7, and to work late without notice at any time, at the last minute. The dress code at Tenet is so behind the times. They say it's business casual but it's really not. Most people feel like they need to dress up. Friday is casual day, but even then you cannot wear tennis shoes to work. What year is this? 1958?

Stop behaving as if you are elite and better than your employees. Start behaving like people who run a modern company. Right now you behave like a petty, bickering family-run business. Make our benefits competitive. Fix the weak health insurance. Do something about the bad office environment. Conduct real performance reviews, not the fake ones you do now, where you just give money to your favorites.

10. What's patient care? Where's the $$

Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Modesto, CA

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits thanks to Seiu healthcare union, excellent doctors, nurses and allied staff.

Cons

Management is greedy, slave drivers who bully employees and track there every move. This billion dollar company cares more about making that almighty dollar than treating patients

Find some rope and a tree..

Not recommended

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

They pay well.
    standard 2 weeks PTO and nine company holidays.
    I don't have much else

Cons

I feel like everyone on my floor only shows up for the paycheck. That's no judgement, I just need a purpose beyond $ to get up in the AM. We never talk about patients or the impact what we do has on them.

The place is so big and so many people are confused it takes months to learn where to go for anything. Half the company support is outsourced to Dell and no one ever seems to know who does what. I sit by 20 people and maybe 2 are actual Tenet employees. The rest are contractors from various companies. It makes the culture bland, $ centered and depressing. No one has any fun at work because everyone works as if a 2 minutes break will get them fired.

They pay well...because their health insurance is expensive. I've never worked for a healthcare company with worse insurance. Feeling like I can't protect my loved ones is a cause of great stress.

They don't offer tuition reimbursement which makes me feel like they aren't interested in employee personal growth, but that could be me.

401K match is 50% up to first 6% but it requires that you be with the company 1000 hours before you qualify.. Basically if you get hired at the wrong time it might be two years before you're eligible for a match.

Work harder to develop a patient centered culture