Tenet Healthcare

Updated August 2, 2014
2.7

Tenet Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Trevor Fetter
Trevor Fetter

Pros
  • My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013 (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers at the facility level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's all about money game for upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

Learned a lot of valuable business skills as a clinician great benefits good work life balance supportive team environment

Cons

Tough healthcare economy , for profit runs tight ompared to not for profit big corporation momentum is slow

nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

tenet has some good benefits

Cons

Hard to get thingsdone timely

well compensated, worked for good people

Former Employee - Director  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

People make the experience and I happened to work for two really great men at Tenet. There was a recognition of a need for family life balance and compensation was very high.

Cons

Not everyone in the organization has the same level of integrity that my bosses did.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Atmosphere and growth have been noticed and appreciated.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rockwall, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockwall, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Support from sr. mgmt. staff has been helpful and challenging at the same time. I appreciate all their efforts.
    Great team players from the ground up.

Cons

Unknown future if we are in the process of changing owners, with possible changes there will be probable cut backs. Staff always keep this thought in the back of their minds especially with the change in economy and the way medicine is practiced.

Understanding expectations

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Personal and professional growth benefits.

Cons

Salaried employee working long hours to get the job done.

Better understanding of employee job requirements.

Okay for some employees --- too much cost cutting

Current Employee - IT Management  in  South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - IT Management in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

On a personal note it gave me opportunities
    Learned how to function with extremely limited financial resources
    Learned to create a team spirit with employees that were asked to cut their hours at least once a year
    Leanred how to deal with change on a daily and hourly basis

Cons

Lack of financial resources.
    Management from early 2000's mis managed compancy
    Cutting corners in healthcare delivery and investment in employees
    Hire better quality C suite individuals
    Very frugal when it came to employee satisfaction
    Allowances are made for top management to reward their "pet" employees

Invest in healthcare and most of all invest in your employees
    Invest in the facilities ---- do not wait until something is broken before you replace it
    Your people are your best resources ---- do not just talk about it---- invest in your people by offering training and appropriate compensation in realtionship to the market where they reside

Tenet

Current Employee - Billing Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Billing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

One of the best benefits of working for Tenet is getting your hospital charges waived. This can save you a lot of money and this work for everybody that has your benefits (spouse, dependents).

Cons

Tenet is always changing. People are always moving around. Some positions can't hold people longer than a few months. There are a lot of people that have gotten too comfortable and don't care about their work. They play the politics and sit in their fat cat jobs. Communication is always slow at Tenet and with the way the company changes constantly, it's no wonder that the stock is low.

Senior Management needs to trim the fat and then stop reorganizing every 6-12 months.

Physician Practices

Current Employee - Manager  in  Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer a full benefits package - health, dental, vision, 401K. They don't expect any nights or weekend hours, overtime is limited.

Cons

Tenet knows how to run hospitals, but has been running the physician practices by trial and error. The success of the acquisition really comes down to the physicians and the manager since the corporate structure does not set up the practice for success.

Pick one initiative at a time. Focus on one or two areas of improvement and wait for things to improve before piling on more. It's a lot harder to do twenty things well versus two. Have consistent training so that the different offices still have some commonalities but understand that different speciality offices require different workflow.

Demanding, but believe that my hard work is making a difference

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Paid Time Off has never been an issue for me. I have 25 days a year and can generally use them when I want. In addition I get 11 or more paid holidays off and perhaps one of the best perks is that the corporate office is closed during the week between Christmas and New Year's. My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013.

Cons

I still have a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours and telecommuting. Sometimes it feels like I work in more of a matrix organizational structure, which means getting pulled in several competing directions. This provides exposure to different areas of the business (=PRO), but can mean that managing projects and expectations can be difficult (=CON). There also tends to be a lack of communication and positive feedback. This tends to mean that decisions by management and steering committees often do not happen or when they do, they tend to result in rework.

Make sure to clearly communicate goals and expectations. Provide positive feedback to inspire your employees. And lastly, retain talent by talking to them and learning about their strengths and what makes them passionate about what they do. It's amazing what listening and a little feedback can do to energize your staff.

Strong but static

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare for more than 8 years

Pros

Tenet is a capable organization with many strong individuals in key positions. Additionally, there is a high level of job stability available for those who are seeking lifetime or long term employment. Job roles are highly defined for those who seek a high level of structure in their job role.

Cons

Suffers from traditional large company issues. Multiple overlapping departments that work in silos with the this is someone else's job mentality.

Reorganize to align with operational requirements rather than functional needs to interject operational knowledge into process. Reduce resourcing redundancy and increase individual responsibility levels within the organization to promote ownership and improved results.

Worked for Tenet Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!