Tenet Healthcare

Not enough staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, MI

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

The people here are helpful & we all try to assist each other. The culture among employees is good.

Cons

There is not enough staff on the units. The administration howls loud & long about the fact that press-ganys are down. They ignore the obvious reason, not enough people! Just telling nurses & pcas to run faster won't work!

Try noticing the obvious! less staff equals longer response time to answer call lights! If the patients are not happy (they aren't, trust me!), they will go elsewhere

"Flexing"

Current Employee - Radiology in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Radiology in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing good I have to say is that I enjoy helping people in need of a smile.

Cons

Where should I start? Poor working conditions do to a deteriorating facility that only gets band aids on a gaping wound. Department directors cutting employee hours do to "flexing" in order to get a bonus (we employees are not blind), when you "flex" employees, you compromise patient care (maybe that's why tenet shelled out close to 900 million dollars in 2013 to lawsuits). A CEO making over 23 million dollars in 2013, yet we can't hire the extra help we need. It's mind boggling that this company is still a float. But what do I know, I'm just the little worker ant making sure the "Queen" gets his/her bonus on the expense of my back. I'm trying my hardest to find another job and say I was able to jump ship before it sank.

All the schooling in the world will never teach you common sense.

Small town big hell.

Former Employee - Surgery Hospital Aid in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Surgery Hospital Aid in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Tenet Healthcare part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really "nice" and helpful. Small group that enjoy each other's personal stories.

Cons

To survive everyone brown noses up to the charge nurse. If your values are greater than backstabbing and psychological intimidation than They will shun you from the group.

Passive aggressive intimidation to avoid employees will only work for so long. Hormonely imbalanced confrontations by those in charge is not leadership. Good Samaritan in West Palm Beach will continue to lose emplyees as well as doctors because their management is not leadership based. The operating room culture is nothing less than a Salem Witches trial.

Great employer

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Boss was felxable with my schedual

Cons

Tenet has had trouble in the past financialy, but seems to have made a turn around and has been doing well ever since. Be prepared to flex staff a lot, but this is true of most places, when things are slow they send you home. This can be hard especialy if it happens a lot.

dissapointing

Current Employee - CT Technologist in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - CT Technologist in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

nice area to live but very expensive and the wages dont live up to it. close to a lot of cool stuff and very nice weather

Cons

understaffed over worked and under paid

Physician Practices

Current Employee - Manager in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer a full benefits package - health, dental, vision, 401K. They don't expect any nights or weekend hours, overtime is limited.

Cons

Tenet knows how to run hospitals, but has been running the physician practices by trial and error. The success of the acquisition really comes down to the physicians and the manager since the corporate structure does not set up the practice for success.

Pick one initiative at a time. Focus on one or two areas of improvement and wait for things to improve before piling on more. It's a lot harder to do twenty things well versus two. Have consistent training so that the different offices still have some commonalities but understand that different speciality offices require different workflow.

Strong but static

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tenet is a capable organization with many strong individuals in key positions. Additionally, there is a high level of job stability available for those who are seeking lifetime or long term employment. Job roles are highly defined for those who seek a high level of structure in their job role.

Cons

Suffers from traditional large company issues. Multiple overlapping departments that work in silos with the this is someone else's job mentality.

Reorganize to align with operational requirements rather than functional needs to interject operational knowledge into process. Reduce resourcing redundancy and increase individual responsibility levels within the organization to promote ownership and improved results.

Demanding, but believe that my hard work is making a difference

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off has never been an issue for me. I have 25 days a year and can generally use them when I want. In addition I get 11 or more paid holidays off and perhaps one of the best perks is that the corporate office is closed during the week between Christmas and New Year's. My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013.

Cons

I still have a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours and telecommuting. Sometimes it feels like I work in more of a matrix organizational structure, which means getting pulled in several competing directions. This provides exposure to different areas of the business (=PRO), but can mean that managing projects and expectations can be difficult (=CON). There also tends to be a lack of communication and positive feedback. This tends to mean that decisions by management and steering committees often do not happen or when they do, they tend to result in rework.

Make sure to clearly communicate goals and expectations. Provide positive feedback to inspire your employees. And lastly, retain talent by talking to them and learning about their strengths and what makes them passionate about what they do. It's amazing what listening and a little feedback can do to energize your staff.

Good Company

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

Forward thinking, recognizes needed changes. Company that will likely be ahead of the curve in the new healthcare environment. Having worked at several other hospitals I will say that they generally have their approach dialed in compared to others.

Cons

I can't really think if too many. All hospitals struggle with typical slow moving bureaucracy and creating strong cultures, so I would say that is systemic in the industry.

battlefield!

Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO
    Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a check and maybe a raise if they do not cheat you out of the annual raise, which they did twice to us.

Cons

Like working with terminal cancer!

Admin should Start addressing the working staff and not the management, to much fear in the corporate ladder they will tell you what you want to hear, all the while the working staff suffers. The worst place I have worked in 25 years and I was in the 90-91 desert storm war. “Quote” be lucky you have a job, beware of any company that has the balls to say this to a working employee.