Tenet Healthcare

Updated January 27, 2015
2.6

Tenet Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Trevor Fetter
Trevor Fetter

Pros
  • My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013 (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers at the facility level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities (in 4 reviews)

• It's all about money game for upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong but static

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tenet is a capable organization with many strong individuals in key positions. Additionally, there is a high level of job stability available for those who are seeking lifetime or long term employment. Job roles are highly defined for those who seek a high level of structure in their job role.

Cons

Suffers from traditional large company issues. Multiple overlapping departments that work in silos with the this is someone else's job mentality.

Reorganize to align with operational requirements rather than functional needs to interject operational knowledge into process. Reduce resourcing redundancy and increase individual responsibility levels within the organization to promote ownership and improved results.

Demanding, but believe that my hard work is making a difference

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off has never been an issue for me. I have 25 days a year and can generally use them when I want. In addition I get 11 or more paid holidays off and perhaps one of the best perks is that the corporate office is closed during the week between Christmas and New Year's. My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013.

Cons

I still have a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours and telecommuting. Sometimes it feels like I work in more of a matrix organizational structure, which means getting pulled in several competing directions. This provides exposure to different areas of the business (=PRO), but can mean that managing projects and expectations can be difficult (=CON). There also tends to be a lack of communication and positive feedback. This tends to mean that decisions by management and steering committees often do not happen or when they do, they tend to result in rework.

Make sure to clearly communicate goals and expectations. Provide positive feedback to inspire your employees. And lastly, retain talent by talking to them and learning about their strengths and what makes them passionate about what they do. It's amazing what listening and a little feedback can do to energize your staff.

battlefield!

Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO
    Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a check and maybe a raise if they do not cheat you out of the annual raise, which they did twice to us.

Cons

Like working with terminal cancer!

Admin should Start addressing the working staff and not the management, to much fear in the corporate ladder they will tell you what you want to hear, all the while the working staff suffers. The worst place I have worked in 25 years and I was in the 90-91 desert storm war. “Quote” be lucky you have a job, beware of any company that has the balls to say this to a working employee.

Good Company

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

Forward thinking, recognizes needed changes. Company that will likely be ahead of the curve in the new healthcare environment. Having worked at several other hospitals I will say that they generally have their approach dialed in compared to others.

Cons

I can't really think if too many. All hospitals struggle with typical slow moving bureaucracy and creating strong cultures, so I would say that is systemic in the industry.

Not the best, not the worst.

Current Employee - Revenue Cycle in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Revenue Cycle in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Name well known
    Many locations
    Decent Pay
    Financially secure

Cons

No diversity
    No room for advancement
    Benefits are sub par
    Bad leadership
    Little concern for employees

Hire and promote more people of color.

Merger and Acquisition

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We were recently acquired and we are still trying to figure out what our place in the company will be. There have not been any major changes to date so I hope they are taking their time to analyze how the new facilities will be of value.

Cons

Feeling like we are not fully integrated into the company has been somewhat challenging. I look forward to being fully integrated with the legacy Tenet facilities.

Continue to keep open lines of communications. Benefits of healthcare companies should continuously improve. Leveraging the company's size to get the best value is very important.

Satisfactory

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Nationwide locations. Various employment opportunities.

Cons

High turnover rate in senior management.

OK experience

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is not too bad

Cons

Work is repetitive and sometimes meaningless and impact-less, just to follow your boss's order. Systems need some upgrade. Office politics. Lack of training, some management views training as waste of productive hours.

Opportunity to grow if willing to obtain more education and show incentive to learn.

Current Employee - Supervisor in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Administration listens to employees working in the trenches. Plenty of room to grow professionally if one makes the effort. Immediate management has good relationship with all supervisors and listens when one has concerns then takes action.

Cons

Corporate does not seem to provide helpful advice to make our hospital more efficient. Communication amongst all departments is lacking. The computer systems is NOT user or patient friendly. It is hard to do one's job with such a terrible system.

Something has to be done about the computer system. It is not efficient for documenting patient information. The company should have researched the company more thoroughly. Unless the computer system improves or is changed, I do not see communication or efficiency getting better.

Alright

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

It was a paycheck and the hours were consistent. 8am-4:30pm

Cons

Unknown future, no one wants to share responsibilities perhaps in fear of being laid-off. You're not paid for holidays unless you're management.

Tell employees what is happening around the hospital instead of letting it spread by "rumors" (always true)