Tenet Healthcare

Updated August 2, 2014
2.7

Tenet Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Trevor Fetter
Trevor Fetter

Pros
  • My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013 (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers at the facility level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's all about money game for upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissapointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Learned alot about healthcare industrry.

Cons

Cutthroat company. Management talks a good game, gives you positive reviews, a raise, then 2 months later, your position is eliminated. Too many cuts in mid level people who actually do the work, then they add s Director or above that does very little other than place additional strain on the people left to work.

Get rid of higher level people who do nothing but occupy an office and a parking spot instead of the people who do the work.

Not a good one.

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Health benefits and free parking. There is a cafe on site, which you have pay for your meals but at discounted price. There is also an onsite gym you can join and pay for the membership with payroll deductions.

Cons

Many things, in my opinion. Pay rate, paid time off, processes, communications, employee morale just to name a few things.

Step it up a notch...please, for your employees. They help drive that bottom line and keep Tenet in the black instead of the red.

Learned a lot about the business of health care

Former Employee - Director  in  Palm Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Palm Springs, CA

I worked at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Tightly run, disciplined business practices

Cons

Very difficult to move around in the organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Innovative, forward thinking, challenging.

I worked at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Never learned so much in a company, you are a part of many different projects where your opinion and knowledge is respected.

Cons

Since the organization is private, they continually have lay-offs, due to restructuring and outsourcing to overseas. I was one of 200+ individuals who lost their jobs in 2011. The decisions were not based on how good of a job we were all doing, more so senority, which some may take comfort in, but when you're kiling yourself for the organization, you'd think there would be some loyalty in return.

American companies should employ people living in America...stop outsourcing...it's a bad reflection on the organizations loyalty to the country that is making them as successful as they are!

Internal Audit: "Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Senior Auditor  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

1) The Senior Leadership (Fetter, Porter) are brilliant professionals. They have done a very good job turning the company in the right direction over the recent years after a very difficult time for the company. They also are very inspiring leaders who address the entire company regularly.
    2) The IA department travels to all the hospitals. Some of those hospitals aren't in high crime areas.
    3) Outside of the IA department, there are some very intelligent, dedicated, and talented individuals who have been with the company for many years.
    4) Initial compensation is fair. Benefits are also good.

Cons

1) The size of the company can make bureaucracy a problem. Each region has a very tall reporting structure, so implementing solutions can be a challenge if there is even one mid-level director who opposes a directive set by senior management.
    2) Management in the IA department is at best, ineffective or aloof; at worst, toxic and spiteful.
    3) While the IA department does travel, the work in the field is extreme in terms of hours per day. Burnout is common and largely ignored as management typically only participates in one or two half-days of work at the hospitals, mostly intended to serve a "police" function.

The Company has made tremendous strides since the missteps in the early 2000's. There are a lot of good programs being implemented at the hospital level. However, the IA department, because of the issues listed above, tends to underachieve because so much energy is directed at office politics and infighting and away from professional growth and actual audit work.

Physician Practices

Current Employee - Manager  in  Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer a full benefits package - health, dental, vision, 401K. They don't expect any nights or weekend hours, overtime is limited.

Cons

Tenet knows how to run hospitals, but has been running the physician practices by trial and error. The success of the acquisition really comes down to the physicians and the manager since the corporate structure does not set up the practice for success.

Pick one initiative at a time. Focus on one or two areas of improvement and wait for things to improve before piling on more. It's a lot harder to do twenty things well versus two. Have consistent training so that the different offices still have some commonalities but understand that different speciality offices require different workflow.

Demanding, but believe that my hard work is making a difference

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Paid Time Off has never been an issue for me. I have 25 days a year and can generally use them when I want. In addition I get 11 or more paid holidays off and perhaps one of the best perks is that the corporate office is closed during the week between Christmas and New Year's. My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013.

Cons

I still have a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours and telecommuting. Sometimes it feels like I work in more of a matrix organizational structure, which means getting pulled in several competing directions. This provides exposure to different areas of the business (=PRO), but can mean that managing projects and expectations can be difficult (=CON). There also tends to be a lack of communication and positive feedback. This tends to mean that decisions by management and steering committees often do not happen or when they do, they tend to result in rework.

Make sure to clearly communicate goals and expectations. Provide positive feedback to inspire your employees. And lastly, retain talent by talking to them and learning about their strengths and what makes them passionate about what they do. It's amazing what listening and a little feedback can do to energize your staff.

Strong but static

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare for more than 8 years

Pros

Tenet is a capable organization with many strong individuals in key positions. Additionally, there is a high level of job stability available for those who are seeking lifetime or long term employment. Job roles are highly defined for those who seek a high level of structure in their job role.

Cons

Suffers from traditional large company issues. Multiple overlapping departments that work in silos with the this is someone else's job mentality.

Reorganize to align with operational requirements rather than functional needs to interject operational knowledge into process. Reduce resourcing redundancy and increase individual responsibility levels within the organization to promote ownership and improved results.

Satisfactory

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Nationwide locations. Various employment opportunities.

Cons

High turnover rate in senior management.

OK experience

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is not too bad

Cons

Work is repetitive and sometimes meaningless and impact-less, just to follow your boss's order. Systems need some upgrade. Office politics. Lack of training, some management views training as waste of productive hours.

Worked for Tenet Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!