Tenet Healthcare

Updated January 29, 2015
2.6

Tenet Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Trevor Fetter
Trevor Fetter

Pros
  • My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013 (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers at the facility level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities (in 4 reviews)

• It's all about money game for upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Physician Practices

Current Employee - Manager in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer a full benefits package - health, dental, vision, 401K. They don't expect any nights or weekend hours, overtime is limited.

Cons

Tenet knows how to run hospitals, but has been running the physician practices by trial and error. The success of the acquisition really comes down to the physicians and the manager since the corporate structure does not set up the practice for success.

Pick one initiative at a time. Focus on one or two areas of improvement and wait for things to improve before piling on more. It's a lot harder to do twenty things well versus two. Have consistent training so that the different offices still have some commonalities but understand that different speciality offices require different workflow.

battlefield!

Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO
    Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a check and maybe a raise if they do not cheat you out of the annual raise, which they did twice to us.

Cons

Like working with terminal cancer!

Admin should Start addressing the working staff and not the management, to much fear in the corporate ladder they will tell you what you want to hear, all the while the working staff suffers. The worst place I have worked in 25 years and I was in the 90-91 desert storm war. “Quote” be lucky you have a job, beware of any company that has the balls to say this to a working employee.

Unreasonable expectation of profitability without adequate support.

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good initial salary. All the standard "baits" are in place. If you do not mind having to find a new job after the initial honeymoon period, bait and switch is over, you have arrived to the right place.

Cons

Not so great health plan, very low matching 401k. The pressure to be profitable as a provider starts ridiculously early, well before it is reasonable considering the support offered by them. Very poor managing and very poor market strategy.

Money is important, but quality personnel are golden. You need to be willing to invest in order to reap.

Demanding, but believe that my hard work is making a difference

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off has never been an issue for me. I have 25 days a year and can generally use them when I want. In addition I get 11 or more paid holidays off and perhaps one of the best perks is that the corporate office is closed during the week between Christmas and New Year's. My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013.

Cons

I still have a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours and telecommuting. Sometimes it feels like I work in more of a matrix organizational structure, which means getting pulled in several competing directions. This provides exposure to different areas of the business (=PRO), but can mean that managing projects and expectations can be difficult (=CON). There also tends to be a lack of communication and positive feedback. This tends to mean that decisions by management and steering committees often do not happen or when they do, they tend to result in rework.

Make sure to clearly communicate goals and expectations. Provide positive feedback to inspire your employees. And lastly, retain talent by talking to them and learning about their strengths and what makes them passionate about what they do. It's amazing what listening and a little feedback can do to energize your staff.

Strong but static

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tenet is a capable organization with many strong individuals in key positions. Additionally, there is a high level of job stability available for those who are seeking lifetime or long term employment. Job roles are highly defined for those who seek a high level of structure in their job role.

Cons

Suffers from traditional large company issues. Multiple overlapping departments that work in silos with the this is someone else's job mentality.

Reorganize to align with operational requirements rather than functional needs to interject operational knowledge into process. Reduce resourcing redundancy and increase individual responsibility levels within the organization to promote ownership and improved results.

Not the best, not the worst.

Current Employee - Revenue Cycle in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Revenue Cycle in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Name well known
    Many locations
    Decent Pay
    Financially secure

Cons

No diversity
    No room for advancement
    Benefits are sub par
    Bad leadership
    Little concern for employees

Hire and promote more people of color.

Good Company

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

Forward thinking, recognizes needed changes. Company that will likely be ahead of the curve in the new healthcare environment. Having worked at several other hospitals I will say that they generally have their approach dialed in compared to others.

Cons

I can't really think if too many. All hospitals struggle with typical slow moving bureaucracy and creating strong cultures, so I would say that is systemic in the industry.

Merger and Acquisition

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We were recently acquired and we are still trying to figure out what our place in the company will be. There have not been any major changes to date so I hope they are taking their time to analyze how the new facilities will be of value.

Cons

Feeling like we are not fully integrated into the company has been somewhat challenging. I look forward to being fully integrated with the legacy Tenet facilities.

Continue to keep open lines of communications. Benefits of healthcare companies should continuously improve. Leveraging the company's size to get the best value is very important.

Satisfactory

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Nationwide locations. Various employment opportunities.

Cons

High turnover rate in senior management.

OK experience

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is not too bad

Cons

Work is repetitive and sometimes meaningless and impact-less, just to follow your boss's order. Systems need some upgrade. Office politics. Lack of training, some management views training as waste of productive hours.