Tennant
www.tennantco.com Minneapolis, MN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Tennant Reviews

Updated Mar 23, 2014
Tennant – Golden Valley – “Lobby”

Tennant President, CEO, and Director Chris Killingstad

Chris Killingstad

Marketing

I worked at Tennant

ProsVery good about being environmentally responsible. The people I directly work with were very laid back and hard working.

ConsTo much upper management and not enough production workers

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that understand the things they are managing.

Lots of variety and interesting work

I worked at Tennant full-time

ProsGood co-workers
Lots of learning opportunities
Interesting and challenging work is available

ConsTough to make a difference
Mediocre performance is status quo, those who are high performers aren't often recognized other than to get more work

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your middle managers. Some are excellent, some are not.

Engineer

I have been working at Tennant full-time

ProsThe people that I work with are great. We have a real camaraderie with in the group, and many lasting friendships have developed.

ConsAlthough coworkers are great we have a "fellow prisoner" mentality. We go along with what the guards / warden tell us, whether it makes sense or not.

Extremely poor communication by CS Sr Mgmt.- lead by fear and power by not sharing any communication details.

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Tennant full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor a call center- no night or weekends- initial training by training depart is good and prepares you to start your job. Training also provides a nice mentoring program.

ConsCustomer Service Sr Mgmt. is out of touch with daily operations. Zero professional development or ongoing coaching. Call reviews focus only on phone stats, but guidance to improve numbers is not provided. Departmental recognition programs were stopped. Favoritism is a problem and SR managers don't set a professional standard. Most CSRs feel very unsure of their position and are trying to post for jobs outside of the dept. CS Sr. Mgmt. response to this is look how many people we feed into the organization. A lot of talent of reps is not valued or utilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate communicate communicate- why is everything so private- aren't we a team. Conduct 360 reviews of mgmt. that are truly anonymous. Bring back peer recognition program - provide ongoing training- the training team is great but their hands are tied. Help us meet our goals- not just tear us down for reaching goals we don't understand due to lack of open communication. Sr level CS mgmt. needs to take an active role in communicating and rolling out obtainable programs and providing ongoing communication.

Great work & life balance culture.

I have been working at Tennant full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery innovative company. Good buisness models for new product introduction. Open to investments in improvments and CI efforts. Good track record for work & life balance.

ConsVery strong systems in some areas & very week in others. Oppurtunites to grow and expand exist but there are no formal career path systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep global systems simple and robust at a high level of functionality. It is OK that each site is not 100% aligned. Decentralized floor practices can be effective.

Service Rep

Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tennant full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay, Freedom in work environment. Intresting product

ConsManagement does not understand customers. Company is all about it profits and not customers. Starting to see more micro management to push higher profitability. Customers are catching on to there profit tactics. Somewhat concerned about my future. Need more positive change for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeel like there is no opportunity with in the organization. They tend to hire from the outside and do not promote within. Promotions are not always a good thing here. One foot out the door mentallity.

Sr. Marketing Manager

I worked at Tennant

ProsThe people, focus and drive.

ConsAs with all companies, the politics. Also, limited room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to your own for growth opportunities and help them achieve their goals. This will provide you more satisfied employees that will be around for the long term.

A company with a great number of experienced tenured employees...stable but a bit stagnant as a result.

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee)
Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Tennant full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly and family-like work environment with a wealth of company history and knowledge shared by employees.

ConsAdvancement opportunities are limited and systems functionality, support and usage is piece-mealed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone..

Proud to work for this great company

I worked at Tennant full-time

ProsKnowledgeable staff and friendly people

ConsSAP is not user friendly

Best Company to work for

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tennant full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople stay because people are treated correctly. This is the best company to work for and it has been recognized as one of the top 100 companies to work for. Excellent company.

ConsMany jobs require you to live in Minneapolis, and the company needs to endorse people working from remote locatings using technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating people right that is why people stay

Worked for Tennant? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tennant reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tennant CEO Chris Killingstad. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Tennant employees.