Tenneco

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tenneco Chairman & CEO Gregg Sherrill

Gregg Sherrill

Strange culture in the past few years.

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tenneco full-time

ProsFlexible hours, decent pay, generally nice people.

ConsBoring work, an overall approach of doing the least possible amount of work for the client. Political, opportunities for advancement are limited.

Breakdown of Company Core Values at Facility Level

Technician (Current Employee)
Milan, OH

I have been working at Tenneco full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTenneco has a good benefit package, including vacation time and sends a good message on a corporate level with a focus of the company's core values.

ConsOn a facility level, there is a leadership breakdown when it comes to the company's core values. There is a leadership attitude which creates a "wall" between employees and leadership fails to recognize themselves as the reason for low morale. The IDP and Performance Appraisal system does not drive advancement as it is suggested it does. On a facility level, the "Good 'Ole Boys Club" drives advancement and puts the wrong personalities in leadership role.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget to listen to the voice of all employees at all levels to prevent the low morale currently being seen at the Milan Engineering facility. A third party survey is suggested. No one will be honest in an all employee meeting when there is a culture of retaliation leadership and lack of integrity.

A great place to start a career.

I have been working at Tenneco full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest compensation in the automotive aftermarket.

ConsManagement is mostly reactive rather than proactive

Advice to Senior ManagementAnticipate change and listen to the streets, not just The Street

over worked

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Hartwell, GA

I worked at Tenneco full-time for more than a year

Prosthe hours are there, the people are nice. the work is not that hard. Really can not be fired if you show up and don't say anything.

Cons12 hour shifts, 7 days a week. There is no control over quality. All standards set by management are toss aside to make production quotas.

Advice to Senior Managementno control

on a downward spiral

Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Tenneco full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUsed to have good benefits and pay but years of no raises and benefit cost increase and cuts have killed that i guess if you want to live at work thats a plus

Consnow have more people in offices than on the floor safety first as long as its free and convieniant too many people creating problems to justify their jobs zero accountability beyond floor level low pay by industry standard {they only compare themselves to other ten plants NOT the area industry} no raise in 6 years ins has gone up 3 times no support from management if you aren't in an office you are a scape goat

Advice to Senior Managementnone t/a elkhart has evolved into a direct suckup line all the way to the ceo

I worked there for 18.25 years in Seward NE. I had a great time but a lot of stress.

Machine Setup/Operator (Former Employee)
Seward, NE

I worked at Tenneco full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat opportunities to learn and work in different departments. Fast paced environment so you don't get bored. Good support and training from Line Coordinators and Team Leaders. Great pay and benefits package.

Cons10 hour days constantly, 12 hour days often and 8 or 10 hour days on Saturdays and sundays ( no family life ) A lot of stress to make shipping requirements. HR inconsistent with making and enforcing company policies. Direct family and community members are treated differently than individuals who are not part of the community or not a part of a family group who has years of service with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone the same regardless of how they became employed. Enforce your policies equally for all employees and don't single out individuals for different treatments of discipline. Say What You Mean And Mean What You Say. Get more involved with the individual employee, listen to their concerns or questions and make them feel like they are a actual part of the company instead of just some number. Be open and honest with everyone equally at all times not just when it suits some purpose.

Operates like most large American automotive companies.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Monroe, MI

I worked at Tenneco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey are a stable company that has a global presence.

ConsMost locations are not close to metro areas where people live resulting in most employees having a long commute. Limited abilities to rise within the ranks of the company (opportunities exist they are just a bit too far and few between and are often filled with people outside of the company). Just like in most large companies it is difficulty to get process improvements supported/implemented and adaptability/innovation is stifled as a result. Current employee compensation has not kept pace with the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a real emphasis on process improvement, innovation, and performance recognition. Too much time is spent fighting fires and not enough defining and resolving the causes.

Happy I made a bundle when the stock went up.

Senior Buyer (Former Employee)
Monroe, MI

I worked at Tenneco full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLearned a lot. Took on a lot of responsibility. First 2 years were fun. Worked with a lot of very talented people-on all levels, in all areas. Got a better job as a result.

ConsNext 3 years were a nightmare. Everyone wanted to be a buyer, engineers, the plants, the salespeople. Vendor payments were delayed to help cash-flow, a practice that has been stopped. They break contracts. Pay was bad, as were the benefits. Plants routinely ran short on inventory and blamed vendor. Managers had no experience managing in most areas. Women were especially treated poorly-no matter their title. To many 'Indians' with little to-no authority, 'Chiefs' didn't like to get hands dirty, and wanted to protect their job. Very political environment. Senior Executive quoted prior to a meeting, "Check your ethics at the door", and another classic, "Sometimes you have to take the low road' In some areas morale was great, in others well pretty bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider training managers. Let some of the old chiefs retire. Promote from within. Executives should go undercover within the company-in any area to see how the work really gets done and dirty some people operate. Treat the women as your would your wife or daughter treated at a job.

This job will bore you to death, very monotonous work. Hard manual labor daily. Very strict routine to follow daily.

Marshall, MI

I have been working at Tenneco full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent Pay. 11/hour starting out with staffing company. 12.65 after 3 months.

Set hours.

Job security is good. Not much else.

ConsVery boring, monotonous work. Do the same thing over and over and over all day.

Can be hard manual labor for those not used to that.

Management is runs around like chickens with their head cut off. More concerned about sucking up to the manager above them than doing a good job.

You are just a cog in the machine.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the points system for sick days. It makes you seem like you don't value your employees as human beings. I realize your excuse is "this is how the industry does it". How many great companies do things because that is how the industry does it?

Abusive towards employees.

Hartwell, GA

I have been working at Tenneco full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay and easy to get overtime.

ConsRidiculous hours and unsafe work conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your subordinates with more respect and listen to their concerns.

Worked for Tenneco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tenneco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tenneco CEO Gregg Sherrill. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Tenneco employees.