Tennessee Department of Children's Services

CEO

In this business...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Tennessee Department of Children's Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Flexibility. Working With Clients.

Cons

Lack of Professionalism. Lack of Respect For Employees.

Advice to Management

The job in itself isn't hard. I have worked in several offices throughout Tennessee and I will say they are all different. What I have found out from experience is if you don't "fit in" you'll "stick out" and you can definitely expect unnecessary drama to occur. If you have a problem with anyone in the office, I suggest you take it to HR otherwise nothing will be held in confidence. There will always be a high turnover rate because they don't value their employees. The company is good... the people in authority (management) not so much.

2. Perform investigations to bring to notice any incidence of child abuse and take relevant legal actions.

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Children's Services

Pros

•Investigate the episode thoroughly to find the reasons and steps that lead to child abuse. •Communicate with children and identify physical, mental and emotional requirements.

Cons

The Department of Children's Services is understaffed and has a high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Upper management are disconnected with staff and any ideas or concerns from staff members are disregarded.

3. Unrealistic case loads and expectations.

Former Employee - Child Protective Services Case Manager II

I worked at Tennessee Department of Children's Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the children and families. Good Bond with co-workers. This may vary depending on which county you're in. Good pay with overtime and mileage.

Cons

Long and unpredictable work hours. Unrealistic case loads and expectations. If they are not met there is little consideration to the barriers in your way that prevented you from accomplishing your goals. Favrortism and Cliques in upper management. Poor training before quickly being thrown into a full case load if you're new to case management.

5. Dont Do It

Current Employee - Child Protective Services Case Manager II in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Child Protective Services Case Manager II in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Children's Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being involved in the families lives that are serviced with DCS.

Cons

compensation low for the amount of workload that is carried, policies and procedures are are horrible and staff members are treated bad.

6. FOSTER CARE CASE MANAGER - LOVE THE KIDS, TOXIC MANAGEMENT IS ABUSIVE

Former Employee - Social Services Case Manager in Clinton, TN
    Former Employee - Social Services Case Manager in Clinton, TN

I worked at Tennessee Department of Children's Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the children and families is rewarding and a valuable lesson in life that I will never forget. The training is excellent; enjoyed working with the courts and attorneys.

Cons

The management in the East Region; the workers in the field get no support and are needlessly put in dangerous situations.

Advice to Management

Please help the EAST TN REGIONAL STAFF develop a better environment for the people who are out in the field providing the services. If everyone shared the work load more evenly, the BRIAN A goals would have been met a long time ago.

7. Very over loaded on case loads

Current Employee - Child Protective Services Case Manager II in Ashland City, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Children's Services

Pros

You have the opportunity to help families in need.

Cons

You can not complete the work as efficient as you would want, with the amount of work required

8. TN DCS Employment could be much worse

Current Employee - Child Protective Services Case Manager II in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Child Protective Services Case Manager II in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Children's Services

Pros

The benefits to working for Children's Services is that it's a challenging work environment that will prepare you for social work in about any area you want to go into. If you can survive the DCS you can do about anything. TN has taken a lot of stride to improve the department in the last several years, and as far as states to work for, I must say it's not bad compared to a lot of horror stories I hear from other states. I also work for a very good region in our state which makes a big difference, there a lot of people who work for the Southwest Region that truly have the best interest of our clients at heart, but it doesn't make up for the rest of it.

Cons

Stressful, no consistency, it's constantly changing for no reason, strides they take to supposedly make things better seem to make things worse most of the time. Lots of paper pushing that takes up valuable time to serve the clients to the best of your ability.

Advice to Management

Look at your workers......if we're supposed to respect our clients and empower them you should start with us so you serve as an example of what that looks like. Most of the time there is little consideration taken about our home lives and what we need to be successful.

9. Take the job; Stay 2 years and then leave

Current Employee - Attorney IV
    Current Employee - Attorney IV

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Children's Services

Pros

The benefits you get from the state are great for a new attorney right out of law school. You CLEs get paid; your $500 professional tax gets paid; YOU DON'T HAVE TO BILL. You get large amounts of court room experience b/c unlike other state attorneys, DCS attorneys must go into judicial courts. This gives you a leg up on other state attorneys. Also once you get in the door with the state you can transfer to one of the many other state agencies. You also get to have an inside view of how the agency works so when you leave and you want to oppose the agency you will know their weakest points and will have an edge. Plus most state attorneys don't like to litigate so they will settle and you will get great outcomes for your clients.

Cons

Your are poorly paid for your work!!! The State is NOT competative with the private sector! There is no room for promotion and there is a lot favortism that occurs in upper management. Although you will get to bank lots of comp hours you are too busy to ever take the time so a lot of good that does for you. The State is very political and this usually takes place in the court room. As a state attorney you just don't have as much pull as the parent's attorney who walk into the court room that day and appears before the Judge as to which that attorney gave much money to said Judge's re-election campaign!!!! Guess who will win that hearing? Guess who probably had talked to the Judge prior to coming to court!? The politics playing out in the Juvenile courts is very dis-heartening for an attorney dedicated to helping children b/c you get told "just be quiet - that is the way it is, we have to keep the judge happy!" think is - you can't say much b/c all of the court hearings are confidential and you can't just go to the news about what is going on.

Advice to Management

Recognize those who do the work and promote them; stop promoting your favorites. Truly recognize the attorneys down in the trenches on in all offices. Not just the favorites. They are the ones doing the grunt work; whild SR management sets in an office all day taking 1.5 hour lunches and looking at the internet. Help out! Go out in the field and try a case every once in while. See what it is like in the courts where the judge screams at those attorneys and places children's lives at risk of harm just b/c they are minorities, etc.

Mismanaged, huge lack of accountability for mistakes, unrealistic workload, poor pay w/ no regard for your own family"

Former Employee - Child Protective Services Case Manager II

Pros

helping children in the community

Cons

Work with the worst adults in society to help abused/neglected children.. all while neglecting your own family.

Advice to Management

Stop feeling like employees who get involved and team with others to solve problems rub you the wrong way or step on your toes. Accept the help for the good of the family involved and stop being so territorial about who does what.. all while telling workers they are expected to "team" and be helpful to one another. And on the flip side, start holding workers who do a poor job, make repeat mistakes, falsify documentation, etc... ACCOUNTABLE for their actions.

11. Rewarding but bureaucratic and political

I worked at Tennessee Department of Children's Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven. Helps kids in need

Cons

Political. Autocratic commissioner. Fires on a whim.

RSS Feed </> Embed