Tennessee Department of Health

Tennessee Department of Health Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. John Dreyzehner

Great place to work if you enjoy public service. Terrible place to work if you're ambitious and strive for efficiency.

Regulatory Board Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGeat benefits and paid time off. Also after 3 yrs of employment you get $100 per yr of service.

ConsLittle room for advancement because vacancies are few and far inbetween. People generally stay in positions and/or offer 20+ years of service, making it difficult to achieve advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop turning a blind eye to the dead weight and stop dumping work on those who actually work and do a great job. Improvement with communication is also necessary to address all the problems that exist.

Come on in, just don't expect to go anywhere!

Auditor III (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Tennessee Department of Health

ProsThe best reasons to work for the state are: Security, Benefits, Time off. However, your pay will always be less than you could be making and it can be frustrating waiting on people to die/retire before you can be promoted. However, this is the perfect job for someone out of college and looking to get some experience. If your plan is to work 30 years and retire, this is also a good position, but you better be frugal with your money! You will never have a huge house and a boat....but, you will always have a job. I suppose in this day and age, that is saying quite a bit!

ConsPay is about 15-20% less than it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management has largely no significant role. I believe they should strive more to engage in some of the actual work being done. However, I must say that my Director and Commissioner are both very impressive people and I have enjoyed working for both of them.

The most backstabbing and backbitting place.

Interpreter (Former Employee)

I worked at Tennessee Department of Health

ProsThe patients who are in need and are grateful for the services they receive

ConsIncompetent management on a local level. Promotions given by regional directior based on frieinds and family. Huge number of discrepencies of job qualifications. Minority race not being served in Cumberland County

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone from state level should look into all the irregularities taking places in Middle TN

Worked for Tennessee Department of Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tennessee Department of Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tennessee Department of Health CEO Dr. John Dreyzehner. All reviews posted anonymously by Tennessee Department of Health employees.