Tennessee Department of Human Services

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gina Lodge

Long application process with a simple interview

Eligibility Counselor II (Former Employee)

Proshelping people in need
    flex-time
    37.5 hours a week
    great co-workers

Conschallenging clients
    caseload too large
    limited overtime to complete work
    the caseloads are better with the Medicaid being removed from this office

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to be reminded of the reason why they are there and that is to help people. The government requires too many reports to keep funding possible, so supervisors are caught up in the numbers game. There is a tendency for this office to be on stress overload most of the time.

It could always be worse and it will undoubtedly get there at least once.

Eligibilty Counselor I (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat benefits package and job security.

ConsCatty lifers who hate their jobs, hate the clients and will hate you too if you don't fall in with their line of thinking. Case managers are overloaded with cases and clients. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do your job properly, maintain the timeliness standards and see the clients required/scheduled. Davidson county workers are overworked and under appreciated. Management basically takes suggestions and throws them out the window.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement strategies from caseworks that would improve customer service. It is impossible to return the phone calls of clients when you are seeing 20 new people a day and doing case management from caseloads.

This social services job is not about helping people who need it - it's about customer service.

Eligibility Counselor II (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe people I work with are awesome and supportive and the only reason I look forward to going to work each day.

Great benefits!

ConsWork morale is terrible. Everyone is drowning in work and trying their best to get as much done as possible, and all we hear from management is everything we aren't doing.

Seasoned case workers are seeing 15-20 people a day in addition to all the other case management duties and reports that need to be done. The majority of clients seem to think their case workers have no other clients or work to be done and expect immediate action on anything that relates to their case. Much like retail, if they complain to higher ups, they get exactly what they want.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk a mile in your employees shoes- higher ups are very out of touch with how overwhelming the daily workloads are, and they just keep adding more things to the to do list.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Confused, but doggedly resolute management

Eligibilty Counselor II Appeals & Hearings (Former Employee) Nashville, IL

ProsBenefits, leave availability, good coworkers

ConsFire/transfer happy governor, it's a crapshoot whether your immediate supervisor will know much about their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementVet your supervisory teams better, they set the tone for everyone under them.

It's government work... you know? Kinda says it all...

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood benefits, holidays, flex time

ConsLower salaries, un-enthusiastic work environment, disorganized work environment, basic level of apathy

A constant struggle.

Eligibility Counselor II (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits package.
    Job Security if you do your job.
    Plenty of vacation days once you get years of experience.
    Knowing that you are helping those in need.

ConsLow pay (have not received a raise in 3 years and counting due to state budget issues). Advancement is limited if you don't live in Nashville, TN.
    Workload is not balanced amongst workers of county offices in Shelby County.
    Employee safety.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a raise. Balance work load better in shelby county. Hire better security. Employees should not have to worry about their work and their cars getting broken into while they work.

Worked for Tennessee Department of Human Services? Contribute to the Community!