Tennova Healthcare

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

No home life balance

ProsGreat pay, great benefits, flexible schedule

Consovertime, not really any team work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe courteous when employees want days off

Nursing

RN, Staff Nurse (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsOnly thing good was 7pm and that place was in my mirror.

ConsHorrible work place environment. Unsafe staffing

Advice to Senior ManagementClose

RN

RN (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsYou can watch boomsday from the old baptist hospital parking lot. The view is really quit good.

ConsFrequently lie to employees and patients. They took away earned vacation time with no notice and did not allow us to acrue our PTO because they were broke...despite rising stock prices and banner earnings. They listen to lawyers not doctors and nurses on ALL patient care issues. If you actually care about the patients that you take care of dont work for Tennova. Upper and middle management turn over so fast that there is no point in learning a name. We started referring to our operations manager as "New Cindy" after the OM that got fired when tennova took over. We had a new OM every 3 months there after.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more about what is best for patients and stop constantly obsessing over getting sued. Patients are much less likely to sue someone they like.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to work

Transporter (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsProfessional atmosphere & growth from within

ConsLow starting wages and low increments of raises ie. 15¢ at a a time

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid drama between coworkers

too many patients... too little help... less than adequate supplies

RN, Staff Nurse, Med-surg/Oncology (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsNice facility with adequate parking. Good benefits. If you want extra hours they always need you.

ConsCommon not to have a CNA on your floor and you're still assigned to care for up to 9 patients by yourself, disregarding acuity, begging other nurses on the floor to help you though they have groups like this themselves. Common for a CNA to have 30 patients all by herself. Not enough time to take a lunch or breaks if you want to get your job done and go home at a reasonable time. Little regard for holding isolation rooms after discharge to ensure adequate decontamination and housekeeping is told to hurry up with cleaning rooms which results in patient complaints about areas that have been missed. Common to get 2 or 3 admits from ER and PACU all arriving to your team at the same time. As soon as you discharge 1 they are replaced as quickly as ER can send them to you so there's no time for you to catch up on paperwork. Management hires people they know personally and scape-goating is common if you're not part of the right crowd or you make any fuss over the schedule. You will not get your requested schedule even if you've worked for them for 25 years. You'll be scheduled the hours the floor needs you regardless of seniority. Supplies are few such as washcloths and pillows, not to mention SCD and IV pumps and isolation kits for the outsides of the doors. Cafeteria is closed for 12 hours and floors are not stocked with food enough to take care of patients during those 12 hours so management has to make time to run to the cafeteria to make turkey sandwiches. If you are injured good luck being accommodated for because they don't have admit nurses or other ancillary jobs a person like this can do on the floors. If you're not fully capable of doing exactly what you did before you were injured you'll most likely have to take a leave of absence. 1 or 2 security guards at night and on weekends for the entire facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to seniority of staff when scheduling and respect the needs of your employees and middle management regarding staffing, scheduling requests, and special needs. Show that you value your employees by taking into account patient acuity in staffing and assigning patients. Supply us with the things we need to take care of patients the way they should be taken care of. Your nursing staff and CNA's did not become such without a deep seated desire to care for patients and their families. It's not all about the money. You're loosing employees and getting a bad wrap from patients in the community.

not good either as a patient or an employee

Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

Prosgood benefits, including sick pay and vacation.

Consprofit driven, that is understandable but quality care cannot be sacrificed for the almighty dollar.

Advice to Senior Managementlook at the employees that patients like, that is the real story, not necessarily what the manager says.

Worked for Tennova Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!