Teq Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
1.6

Damian Scarfo

there's nothing left of this place

I worked at Teq full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are not many pros left working for Teq. They have completely changed who they once were after overpaid inexperienced management took over.

Cons

Limited company growth, management couldn't care less about your opinion, there's no established HR department, layoffs once every six months.

they wouldn't listen anyway so there isn't any advice to give.

Micromanaging, constant frustration, unrealistic expectations, financially floundering company.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Huntington Station, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Huntington Station, NY

I worked at Teq full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had great peers/co-workers.The building itself is very nice and the desk chairs are comfortable.

Cons

You will be told many things at your interview, but here is the truth. This review is not coming from a place of bitterness, just sadness that what could potentially be a great place to work has gone so so wrong.I left Teq voluntarily, to accept a dream job.

1. The main/only software Teq is trying to sell is a dog. It’s way too expensive for most schools to buy once, let alone on a subscription basis! And there are many many free work-arounds using other products/open source software that even a minimally tech savvy school can figure out. Despite this reality, you will be repeatedly berated for not selling enough of it. You may even be told to quote it for a customer by end of day, or else, and then in a few weeks be called on the carpet for inflating your pipeline.

2. You are absolutely, positively cold calling. But instead of calling a list of random ‘leads’ you are calling the same 250 or so schools in your territory. They have a set budget, a defined buying cycle, and only 1 decision maker, but you are still asked to call them repeatedly. This is annoying to them and pointless for you. This is what happens when a corporate sales guy is installed in the C-suite at an education based company.

Many times you will get a Principal or teacher on the phone, only to get an earful about the terrible customer service they had with their last order, or they will be complaining about an order they placed 6 or 8 or 10 months ago that is still not delivered or installed or complete. They are generally unwilling to pay for more goods/services when they haven't seen what they ordered and issued PO's for months ago.

3. The weekly activity metric that you have to meet to get a weekly payout will change on a regular basis, with no notice. It changed 4 or 5 times in the less than a year that I was there. And every time it changes it of course becomes harder to hit, therefore leading to lower payouts. This is because, despite it being shoved down your throat that activity leads to sales, in K-12 Sales this is not the case….so when they are paying you weekly bonus’ based on your activity but sales/pipeline is not increasing, they don’t want to pay you anymore!

3. The back office ops that are intended to support sales is a disaster.There is a constant rotation of responsibilities in the department that schedules installs so you never know from week to week who to go to for information on your projects. Those employees are trying their best but the magnitude of the changes is hard to keep up with. Along these lines, the internal support departments for employees such as an IT dept (both hardware and software, and phones) have been decimated by the mass exodus of employees leaving the company. I was there less than a year and more than half the employees left voluntarily. There are also constant supply/back order issues that affect sales. it's a 40 year old company that seems to have never gotten a handle on such basic business concepts as AR, Inventory and ordering.

4. Internal Communication is awful. There will be important changes to things like SKU’s or items being listed on contracts that will drift out to the sales department like gossip, not in any official announcement. When you do get emails from your manager they will instead include completely unprofessional words and phrases and direct/indirect threats to your employment.

5. Emphasis on all the wrong things...fancy marketing binders with product information but no price list. creating quotes is difficult and time consuming. Tons of upper management getting paid lots of money, but no money for a real CRM. How are you expected to deliver on your job requirements as a phone sales person with no CRM?

I wouldn't even know where to begin.

come here if desperate for a job

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Huntington Station, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Huntington Station, NY

I have been working at Teq full-time for more than a year

Pros

the people at your level who you will be working with

Cons

upper management will micro manage you to death with all sorts of dumb metrics and reports. High turnover, horrible culture of fear.

Voluntarily leave.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run as fast and as far as you can..Its a shame I have to give any stars at all..

Former Employee - One Who Got Away  in  Huntington Station, NY
    Former Employee - One Who Got Away in Huntington Station, NY

I worked at Teq full-time for less than a year

Pros

I no longer work there, thats the biggest pro of all. I left a solid place of employment for what I thought was a paradise when I got hired at Teq and then laid off a short while later. I was at Teq less than 2 months. Imagine having to post that on your resume and explain it to potential employers. They laid off a total of 20 people that day and the rest of the employees were treated to what was almost a circus like atmosphere, bringing multiple people into side offices at one time. I was told I was being let go along with 2 other people at the same time they were being let go. People on the work floor were looking around to see people who were being brought in offices and others cleaning out their desks, not knowing if they were getting called in next or not. Such is the level of respect they have for their employees. As far as I know there were additional lay offs and many other people left with other offers of employment at hand or nothing at all just to get away from this company. To my count, there have been no less then 50 - 75 people either quitting or having been let go of and that was just as of April this year.

Cons

Run as far and as fast as you can. Do not buy in to the hype they try to sell you of what a great company it is, how much money you can make, the great benefits you will get etc. The positive reviews (written by the upper management in a vain attempt to make people believe they are not the disfunctional organization they actually are) on here are comical, my personal favorite advice to management was "stay the course" as if an employee would actually write that. The only thing that one can say that is positive about Teq, is that they are positively on a downward spiral having a goal that seems to be a sure path to go out of business, They will positively not have any respect for you and will treat you like a used napkin, and be positive once they decided they dont need you any longer, be it 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years they will have not one issue with treating your termination with as little respect as they can muster up. Prior to my leaving the warehouse was put on lock down not once but twice. The reason being they couldnt manage to send out simple things such as cables and other assorted minor parts to complete customers orders. Employees were told it was to do a recount of what was in the warehouse. Nope they couldnt ship out the customers orders because they couldnt pay their vendors for these simple parts. As well, there is one review on here that talks about the installers who left Teq. The one thing the literary genius that penned that review failed to mention was that the Installers dont get paid if they dont work. So in essence they werent biting any hands that feed them because if they didnt work they didnt get fed. If you are working some where that you might not be happy at or feel you deserve to make more money, By pass Teq and just keep looking, you will be happier then if you accept a job there.

Why prolong the inevitable. Shut your doors. You are either firing or letting your talent walk out the front door at an alarming rate. Do you really think your customers are going to believe your solid and stick with you if they speak to Suzie this week, Jane next week because Suzie is no longer there, and Bill the week after that because Jane is no longer there???? What comes around goes around and if there is no one left to "manage" there will no longer be a need for management.

How many Managers do you need? I feel out numbered

Current Employee - N/A  in  Huntington Station, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in Huntington Station, NY

I have been working at Teq full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with TEQ for 3 years not and I am surprised I have lasted the chopping block. Nice building, cool employees, very very relaxed atmosphere. Not having a manager breathe down my throat even though there are too many of these titles. Cool products, fun people.. I am not going to lie her...... but I have been so overpaid for what I do, I can not complain. The hours are great, the pay is VERY good for this NON corporate structure, and I have no numbers to make..... Out of all these changes, I feel less and less pressure. What more can you ask for? The PD DEPT is probably the best that any company has ever put together. They are a smart, friendly, and helpful bunch of people.

Cons

Biggest CON? The best, smartest, and valuable employees were let go or quit. They laid off a Sales Engineer who was the smartest and dedicated employee I have worked with in years... A events coordinator who pushed out the TEQ name to thousands, a couple technical support reps who would work for hours and stay late because they loved with their job..... They also lost a few sales reps who not only help start this company, but pushed it where it is today. I really do not understand how the middle managers still have their jobs. WHAT DO THEY MANAGE?????? WASTED SPACE and material in the building..with too much potential at its finger tips.

ADVICE to Managers............. Can we have a holiday party this year.. Even if its some pizza in the break room?
    Senior Managers- why promote and give raises when you lay off others?
    Middle Managers- do something during your work day.....

Negative Work Environment Despite What You Will Be Told

I have been working at Teq full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bagel Friday, Crushed Ice, Good People To Work With (not for)

Cons

First of all, I know a lot of people think that others write reviews to "get back at" a company or colleague, or to try and sabotage others. Please know that while this may be the catalyst behind some reviews, the truth is that the majority of the Teq employees genuinely do not want to see another person get sold a bill of goods during their interviews with talks of making lots and lots of money, having an amazing support network and intense training. We do not want to see another person walk in bright eyed and bushy tailed, only to realize about 4 days in that they made a huge mistake. If you currently have work, do not quit your job. You will be severely disappointed, and beware of the many layoffs that have (and probably will again) occurred over the past 4 months.

If you are coming from an industry other than K-12, then you need to understand the sales cycle in schools and districts. They are long ones. You are dealing with government funding, not a random person's deep pocket. The products that Teq sells are ones that everyone wants- seeing the value in the technology and professional development is not a hard sale. It's finding the money. Schools and districts do not have money. When they do, it can be tied up in different funding categories, not to mention the mandates of what can and cannot be purchased based on the government. No matter how hard you try to sell or how much a school wants what you have, they cannot go around these government protocols.

It is essential that anyone in a management role at a K-12 company realize these confines of the K-12 industry, and that they take this into very serious consideration when asking sales employees to make weekly, monthly and quarterly commits. The amount of factors that are outside of sales control is astronomical. Teq has a new-ish CSO who does not understand these confines, nor does he have any interest in doing so. Somehow he thinks that money can be found in the desks of students after school, or in the pockets of teachers. Management absolutely refuses to accept any of this, which makes for frustration and the feeling of insanity on the part of anyone involved in the sales department. It's a case of the Emperor's New Clothes, the Blind leading the Visually Impaired. the Deaf leading the Hearing Impaired, etc... on a daily basis within the company. Add on the fact that your goals/commits will change on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis due to the realization of senior management that the tactics they are looking to employ fail astronomically time and time again, and you've got yourself into quite a bad situation. There is no way that you as an employee can work and get things done when those in charge do not understand what they are doing, and refuse to take any type of constructive criticism, feedback or employee concern into consideration. You will receive contradictory information from the CSO (now President), SVP, CEO, and Director of Inside Sales. They will take it a step further and contradict themselves day after day, week after week, month after month.

This is a very sad place to work. You will make friends who will leave soon after realizing that what they were promised was a complete and total lie. You will make friends who will be let go after anywhere from 10 years to 3 weeks. And you will not be able to hit your numbers. Period. You will be required to attend at minimum 2 meetings a day, on up to 5. These meetings are for Senior Management to try and figure out how sales can squeeze any money that a school may have left, out of the already dried grapes that are school budgets. Misogyny runs rampant: there are no women in senior management, and they do not want to hear from women in the first place.

One last thing: the CSO (now president) will let you know time after time, day after day that you are disposable. Your job will be threatened everyday. We're all adults and we all know that in life, everyone is essentially replaceable, however as a "motivator," this first becomes a fear tactic, then turns into just an annoyance. Those who need to rule with fear are never really good rulers to begin with.

Wow. I don't even know where to start. It's not like any of these reviews ring any kind of truth to you. I think a good starting place would be with some humility. Accept that you do not know everything. Accept that you have made some astronomical mistakes over the last 10 months or so with the CSO. Take some ownership on your part for failures. It makes no sense that 30 dedicated, hardworking sales employees who are in the field and on the phones with actual clients would know next to nothing in comparison to you. Try listening for a while instead of doing the talking.

DISAPPOINTMENT

I worked at Teq full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice building
    MADE ALOT OF GOOD FRIENDS

Cons

Could never get answers needed to do job from upper management. The question would just go in circles from manager to manager and never get answer needed. No one would ever want to make a decision because they would then be responsible for making it.A

iT IS A SHAME HOW MANY EXCELLENT EMPLOYEES HAVE LEFT TEQ DUE TO LACK OF RESPECT. i HAVE WAS DEDICATED TO TEQ GIVING THEM MY HONESTY AND HARD WORK WHICH I FEEL THEY DID NOT APPRECIATE OR SHOW ME ANY RESPECT.

Here is my honest review for Teq

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, NY

I worked at Teq full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful building, great technology, Free bagels every Friday, great co-workers. and comfy chairs at each desk

Cons

Teq is currently either struggling due to the saturated market of smart boards or their new implemented strategies are just too new for this organization (My opinion). Yes, this company isn't what it used to be, There has been 3 massive lay offs over the past year and has developed an overwhelming amount of disgruntled employees. However, A company cannot just change directions and make adjustments overnight with out making drastic changes. Do I believe this company is going to be productive and successful over the next few years? Too soon to say..

With that being said, I want to address a lot of this negative and positive reviews. 98% of the negative reviews are written by employees whom were either laid off or quit. Blackhawk group LLC. is a prime example of a disgruntled former employee. This person was a former mediocre installer who from the very beginning had it out for Teq, His constant goal was to find another reason to start a lawsuit against Teq so he can swindle more money from a company that was taking very well care of him. He refused work, made excuses, and lied about working conditions just to benefit himself and his lawsuit. He took all his money made from Teq and started this very small inexperienced mediocre company called Blackhawk group LLC. Stay away from this company, They are a bunch of hacks who steal and bite the hand that feeds them. They are 100% operated by employees whom were let go way before any lay offs took place. Blackhawk group has no core structure, and is way more unstable than Teq. They lack experience and professionalism and spend way too much time and effort trying to bring down Teq.

Now, for the positive reviews on here. Yes, most of the reviews on here are written by management or internal employees. I believe it is hot and cold to whether the truth is being told or just a good sales pitch to show the public Teq isn't really a horrible place to work. Not every job is for everyone. Its simple, if you can hack it then it was the right decision. This company is full of a lot of "Titles" so use caution, Chiefs, Directors, Managers, Supervisors, Foremen, Leads, and Vice Presidents of something. Its apparently very important to have a strong title in Teq but if you ask me they all do the same thing. Not all management in this company is terrible, I have developed a lot of great relationships with current and former employees including some managers. I will take more of the positive with me going forward then I do hanging on the negative.

I am a former employee, I like to believe I had a positive attitude while working for Teq, I really enjoyed working here always did what was asked of me and even tried to go above and beyond. I have had my fair share confrontation within the company and I do believe things could have been handled better. I do not blame anyone personally for any decision made. I read some reviews on this site and agree with some and disagree with some. Be honest with your employees, the moral is at an all time low, When the going gets tough, the tough gets going. You have lost a lot of talented hard working people and Teq isn't the fun, enjoyable place it used to be. As an employee ( such as yourself regardless your title) Nobody wants to hear their job is at risk or if they don't meet expectations they will face repercussion. Every day is a learning process, even for employees with the longevity. Get control of your organization again and re gain the trust of your employees.

Just OK

Current Employee - Service  in  Huntington Station, NY
    Current Employee - Service in Huntington Station, NY

I have been working at Teq full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers, out early, and the customers are in Education. A non corporate feeling especially when talking with the customer.

Cons

Upper Managers have no clue what they are doing, middle managers are managers that were hired within, and really do not work much other then playing on youtube. Co-workers are leaving for better jobs, products are 3rd party products, so profit is down, and the Atmosphere of the entire organization is on a slump. I have yet to make eye contact with the upper managers who sit 15 feet away. No company direction, profits are below what they should be, and rumor of new lay offs.

This is Advice for the owner. Are you going to let the Upper Managers destroy the company? Are you going to watch your unhappy family get laid off or leave? Or are you going to sell the company when profits get better?

This place has broken my spirit and my belief in education

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Huntington, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Teq full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Once it was the staff all the way. Now the pros are limited to Saturday and Sunday only. Bagel Fridays are nice, but they only buy a few bagels

Cons

Management has no idea to manage - just fired 24 people - Including the one who wrote their false reviews for them. Kind of Ironic don't you think?

DO not match 401 K plan and so I don't know who thinks they do - Used to offer profit sharing, but reneged that right away.

All I know is they have made me want to leave the field of education entirely.

Ironic also that they fired 24 workers and yet WE STILL have a - President, CEO, CFO, CTO, COO CLO, - How top heavy does a company have to be before it closes shop - I give it till JULY!

None - it is too late

Worked for Teq? Contribute to the Community!