Teradata

Teradata Reviews in Dayton, OH

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Teradata President and Chief Executive Officer Mike Koehler

Mike Koehler

Pros
  • The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance(in 30 reviews)

• Wonderful corporate work environment(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path, the inner circle of senior management always look after themselves(in 10 reviews)

• Flat Hierarchy structure, not clear career path(in 6 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Coworker great / Management still has lessons to be learned

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsCo-workers are great and the only reason i stay as long as i did. Some of them are not fun due to being overworked and management dropping more on them.

ConsManagement thinks the own you. Teradata Dayton pay well below going rates and does not negotiate. Project timelines are a joke, with app owner the project manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking only today and plan for tomorrow. give lower managers some real power to do stuff.

Great products and excellent co-workers

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsGreat coworkers and challenging work

ConsThere is no mobility for younger workers. The hours are terrible for those working in finance areas of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the younger associates a chance to move up in the organization. There is little to no mobility for folks in their 20s.

Bare minimum IT shop which the rest of the company detests.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Miamisburg, OH

Pros1) New employees bring new ideas and fresh perspectives to an outdated IT organization.
    2) If you want to "Coast" then Teradata is the place for you. All that is required is to sit in your cube and talk to no one.

ConsIT Corporate Cultures Cons:
    1) Not spending money is number one priority (Teradata earned $2.7 billion in 2013). Management will push back at all costs not to spend a single penny even if benefits outweigh costs 1000:1. Management only looks at the immediate upfront costs and doesn’t consider the long term. Teradata
    2) Number two priority is keeping the lights on. Don’t touch anything unless you have to even if there are constant problems. Have been told numerous times by management not to fix problems so users won’t start using the system more.
    3) Number three priority is meeting the Service Level Agreement (SLA). Primary goal is to click "Work Started" button in the Incident Management Application within 30 minutes. Actual problem resolution is irrelevant as long as the SLA is met.
    4) EXTREMELY low salaries compared to the local average. Management constantly complains there are not enough developers looking for jobs even though they are everywhere. Management’s style for hiring is posting a position on the corporate website and waiting forever.
    5) Communication within and between teams is almost no existent. Almost all management thinks they are God and communication to their peasants is unnecessary and a waste of time. This is extremely aggravating during non-communicated deployments and releases.
    6) Almost all of the management and senior level development positions are filled by people who worked for Teradata/NCR/Att for 30 years. These individuals are set in their ways and have completely adapted to the environment they grew up in. This creates an extreme resistance to change to an extremely outdated organization.
    7) Absolutely no training. No books, no classes, no documentation, knowledge sharing and transfer are considered overhead. Be ready to learn everything from scratch.
    8) Testing and Quality Assurance is nonexistent and considered overhead. Pre prod testing is generally done by developers and 1st and 2nd level managers (oh yes managers frequently contribute to code line). Development is often done in prod and causes constant problems which are ignored.
    9) Industry standards, fresh ideas, and critical thinking are strongly discouraged.
    10) Management doesn’t trust development team and development team doesn’t trust management.
    11) Developers carry pagers and are all levels of support. I, the developer, have had countless web conferences with end users telling them to "clear their browser cache".
    12) End users suffer while management and the business ignore major application problems and frequent user complaints.
    13) The only way to get a promotion is if someone else leaves and a higher paid position opens. This in itself is one of the reasons for the Extremely High Turnover within IT.
    14) People outside of the IT organization hate us. They see the inadequacies of our organization and are told it is a good thing, costs are low.
    15) Management will not buy tools necessary to complete job.
    16) Some teams have nothing to do. I literally watch people play solitaire and watch full length movies in the office. Others are completely slammed and cannot breathe. Management is incapable of recognizing and rectifying this.
    17) Applications have no road maps and IT as a whole has no long term plans. This leads to extreme inconsistency and far outdated technology and practices.
    18) By far the worst management trait is the constant lying. Employees are constantly lied to and management constantly tries to hide and lie about problems. Management is not transparent and is locked into the mid 70’s management style.
    19) Employees are told we are just lucky to have jobs and we should be extremely grateful.

Technical Cons:
    1) Security is nonexistent. LAN credentials are sent in plain text (unencrypted) everywhere. Key individuals have access to all employee passwords. CUSTOMER credentials to CUSTOMER systems (IP addresses and credentials) are sent in plain text (unencrypted). Did I mention Teradata customers are “40% of the top ten global commercial and savings banks [2007]”. Security team has no power and does not ensure polices are enforced. Management sees no problems with this especially if you are behind the puny firewall. Teradata has 10,000+ employees which is very scary.
    2) IT outages are frequent, long, and completely avoidable. This is true for all aspects of IT (Network, Data Storage Solutions, Servers, Application, and Databases etc). I have been at Teradata for 3 years and have lived through at least 2 instances where the entire data center unexpectedly crashed or went offline for hours.
    3) Disaster Recovery is always a second thought and most applications have no or very little “actual” DR capability.
    4) Critical applications frequently share same servers with other critical and non-critical applications even though Teradata has a poor VM environment. This creates constant confusion and unexpected application side effects.
    5) Almost all applications home grown applications in IT have the early 2000’s look and feel.
    6) New technology is strongly discouraged. New technology is categorized as anything developed in the last 10 years.
    7) You will not stay up to date with industry trends and you technical skills will diminish over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the employees in IT and hear what they have to say. Many of them truly wish to make a difference and want to produce excellent tools for the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience as a Consultant

Senior PS Consultant (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsBest experience with the largest companies

ConsDifficult to move around within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on larger consulting opportunities, very hardware only focus

The Worst IT Experience Available (Software Developer - Miamisburg, OH)

Software Developer (Current Employee) Miamisburg, OH

Pros- Almost all jobs have been moved from India back to the US

Cons- No training process
    - No quality assurance
    - No testing process
    - No long term plans, goals, or vision
    - Learning about new technologies is discouraged
    - Use of new technologies is strictly forbidden
    - Very high turnover -- talented workers leave very quickly
    - Below average pay and benefits. Cost of living raises only.
    - You cannot get a promotion unless a higher position is publicly listed
    - You must apply for higher positions the same way as people outside the company
    - You must supply your own keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.
    - "Cube Farm" office building
    - Developers are also the front line for user support, and carry pager 24/7
    - Projects are approved based on lowest initial cost with no consideration given to long-term costs
    - Managers and directors regularly contribute to the code base, make deployments, run schema changes, etc.
    - Development is done directly on production environments
    - Resources are shared between teams. Communication between teams is forbidden.
    - Communication between team members must be kept to a minimum
    - Customer data, including IP addresses and passwords for their production systems, is not secure and is not treated with respect
    - Customer contracts are not accessible to IT so that we can claim "plausible deniability"
    - Networking bandwidth, disk storage, laptop capabilities, etc. are extremely limited
    - No recognition for work well done
    - "Cowboy Coding" mentality prevails, no plans or processes are ever provided
    - Management is not aware of industry trends or standard practices
    - Constantly use the wrong tool for the job. Consistently re-invent the wheel.
    - Management does not see any of the above as problems, but even if they did, they would be powerless to change the situation

Advice to Senior ManagementThe entire IT department in Miamisburg needs to be replaced, along with their corresponding business stakeholders and managers across the globe. If our customers knew how their data was being treated, they wouldn't be our customers for very long.

OK

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Miamisburg, OH

Pros- Really great people
    - Very layback environment with the dress code and working hours, though that depends on who is your boss

Cons- A lot of 8 to 5 people. Most people just do enough, but it's mainly becuase that's what feels like management wants
    - Peter Principle allover
    - Salaries
    - Politics

Great diverse learning experience opportunities due to so much stuff that just doesn't work right

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsGreat learning experience. Teradata brought many jobs back to the US that were outsourced to India.

ConsLots of integration problems between internal systems, so lots of headaches. IT management has little clue, leadership, or control over what is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter the split-off from NCR, Teradata has the old mindset of a large company stuck in their ways, but often to without the resources and budget to effectively execute as such. Many employees are a single expert on an application or subject matter, so there is little "fault tolerance" or continuity when employees leave. "Get with the times!!!"

Solid company...opportunity for those in the right place at the right time

Teradata Applications Consultant (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsAlways enough work to keep the consultants staffed. The benefits are basic, nothing to get excited about. The one standout is the floating holidays...I like this option where I get to choose when to take 6 holidays in addition to the 6 major holidays we already get.

ConsOpportunity to advance comes in spurts...if you miss an opportunity, you may not get another one.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep driving sales...I enjoy bonuses

Outstanding Technology and growth

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsExcellent products. Deep commitment to education and ongoing education before product release. Strong engineering. Strategic investing new products - Aprimo and Aster.

ConsInvesting in marketing and understanding key market segments. Commit to key market segments with financing, headcount and calcuated risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake addtional calucated risks in new competitive growth areas

Overworked and Underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

Prosgrowing company
    bonuses
    great opportunitiy for the right person.
    Many departments offer great place to work

Conssalary below industry standards
    overworked and under paid
    lack of training with unreasonable expectations
    entrenched in NCR mentality and not always foreard thinking
    right hand does not always know what the left hand is doing

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO should be more involved regarding the workings of Headquarters and be more visible
    HDQ needs new C-level management, antiquated thinking and not family oriented

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Teradata? Contribute to the Community!