Teradata

Teradata Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Teradata President and Chief Executive Officer Mike Koehler

Mike Koehler

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance, interesting projects depending on your position which can lead to expanding your skill set"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Wonderful corporate work environment"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "No career path, the inner circle of senior management always look after themselves"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Flat Hierarchy structure, not clear career path"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid Employment at a Leading Technology company

ProsI like working with products and not having to over-sell them. I have been offered positions at a higher salary to work for companies with inferior products... I couldn't do it. There is a huge benefit to knowing that you are selling the best solution.

ConsThis company seems to resist internal promotion. This demotivates people an either helps convince them to leave, or leaves them dissatisfied with their pay or opportunity for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your people. Do what it takes to keep the best talent.

Database Engineering

ProsGreat work environment
    Bright people
    Challenging projects

ConsInternal management views differ, need to work together more

Good place for flexible work schedule.

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsVery good place for working virtually or on a flexible work schedule. Great for engineers or sales and sales management professionals.

ConsIT for workers lag behind other companies. Not a leading edge for marketing but improving. Little recognition outside of the sales organization. Medical benefits are not the best. Very few women or minorities in top management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to recognize groups outside of sales more often. Make an effort to maintain goodwill with employees that are leaving the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Coworker great / Management still has lessons to be learned

Dayton, OH

ProsCo-workers are great and the only reason i stay as long as i did. Some of them are not fun due to being overworked and management dropping more on them.

ConsManagement thinks the own you. Teradata Dayton pay well below going rates and does not negotiate. Project timelines are a joke, with app owner the project manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking only today and plan for tomorrow. give lower managers some real power to do stuff.

Great Professional Services Experience

Professional Services Senior Consultant II (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWorking with top notch technology and coworkers. Much more age and gender diverse workforce than many tech companies.

ConsThe only downside is the amount of travel that goes with consulting, but this is part of the job description and not anything Teradata can do anything about. We have to go where the clients are.

Worked independlenty with self study from home when not traveling. Had very little contact with immediate manager.

ProsVery good technology and information provided to employees who want to learn and grow

ConsToo much isolation -- little group interaction -- probably depends on specific group you work in and manager. I felt I was inconveniencing manager when I would reach out to him. I do not think this is the way a Manager should make a subordinate feel.

This company is sooo old

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is very little in the pros, maybe that they don't charge us for parking.

ConsLiterally everyone you'll meet is 50s+, most have been there forever, and all are content to just do the bare minimum to scrape by. Very little innovation or thought leadership.

This dinosaur is heading for extinction

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsYears ago they used to make money

ConsAddicted to hardware, the majority of the revenue is from it after marking it 1000% and well just look at hardware companies these days.
    No room for upward mobility.
    Company is old and running out of ideas. Always reactive to keep their few big customers happy.
    Most the people are very very old and do just enough to get by day to day.
    Loosing huge ground to the competition.
    No actual cloud vision at all just smoke and mirrors.
    ITS organization is the oldest, most out of date I've ever seen. See all the other reviews on the IT group, they are dead on.
    R&D is slow, hugely overburdened with the mountains of ridiculous formal processes. I mean how many times do you need to write a formal design document for a feature that should take no more than 100 lines of code.
    Understaffed all the time.
    Never willing to hear new ideas, even the CTO level is closed to any new ideas or concepts. Do not see the competition or recognize the changing industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbandon ship...this is going the way of HP,Dell,and all the others.

Watch out it is not what it appears to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStarts out like the perfect job. Then reality shows up. Product is great and very focused on key objectives. Training is great and San Diego office is amazing.

ConsSales management is totally unaligned with new employees. Inner circle will not allow anyone else to join and fosters an environment that is totally hostile. The tenure employees forget what it is like not to know an answer. They have a totally crazy way they make you expense entertainment and typically don't pay much of your expenses one incurred for business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up

Ugh

PS Partner (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Prosif you like to coast...

Conspurely product focused, and doesn't really understand services

Worked for Teradata? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teradata reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teradata CEO Mike Koehler. All 285 reviews posted anonymously by Teradata employees.