Teradata

Teradata Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Teradata President and Chief Executive Officer Mike Koehler

Mike Koehler

Pros
  • The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Wonderful corporate work environment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path, the inner circle of senior management always look after themselves (in 10 reviews)

• Flat Hierarchy structure, not clear career path (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Stable Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe management w/in my group was very good. Teradata brand name and heritage. Jobs allow for a good degree of independence with plenty of resources. If you don't have necessary resources Teradata will get them for you..

ConsHigher echelon management no longer has the Teradata entrepreneur spirit it used to. Not as in touch with the competition and futures as they should be. To much time spent on training. Courses need to be combined / condensed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new new talent from new sources like the Apache / Hadoop and analytics world. A little tighter coupling with forward thinking academia and industry iconoclasts would be a plus.

Awesome software company to work for!

Sales (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat training and a nice group of people to work with. Company has the best work life balance that I have come across and if you get in consider yourself lucky.

ConsWhen I actually think about it, to me their wasn't any cons per say. The group I worked with was pretty awesome and supporting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and everything will continue to be good

Amazingly stable high-tech company. Nice place to work, overall.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe company is the most stable I've worked for, with few layoffs. Prior to this job, the longest I was employed at a high tech software company was 3 years, and at that I was considered an "old timer". There are employees at Teradata who have been there for 10, 15, 20 years and more. The people are generally nice and top-notch in their fields. The working conditions are acceptable - all cubes, but high-walled cubes so there is a feeling of privacy. New El Segundo facility is just our company, industrial chic, repurposed light-manufacturing warehouse that used to be a Northrup place. Nice perk is that in the build-out of the new place, they added a very nice exercise room/gym, with decent weight and cardio machines, locker rooms and showers, and it's free to the employees to use any time. It's a relatively old company, so the fact that they can continue to compete in today's market with newer technologies (and adopt and adapt them) speaks well for the company and personnel.

ConsDepending on the department, management can be either cool or Dilbert PHBs. Promotions are not frequent, and raises are small. Their bonus plan is okay and some compensation for the generally low-end salary raises, but it's not horrible, and your compensation is always more than just your salary. Holidays are about average - a few standard, and earned floating holidays, along with vacation days that increase with your time at the company. Some departments are cool about working from home, others forbid it, which is ridiculous, because many of your team members are offshore in India or China, and you're emailing and online meeting them anyway, which you could do from anywhere. It's just a toss of the dice as to what your department allows. Every quarter the company seems mostly sales-driven, and most of the investment seems to go to the sales end of things, but development is still interesting and exciting and gets done. Some (very few) of the upper-middle management terrorize their reports, and the badness flows downhill throughout their branches of the organization. People have left because of it. Good people who don't stand for insecure, defensive, no-talent middle managers dictating for their own egos, rather than the benefit of the company, demoralizing their entire branches.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking from home, at least occasionally, shouldn't be prohibited or discouraged. That reeks of insecure, defensive management. Realize that some of you rupper middle managers are snakes practically socioopaths to their reports and makes for some very unhappy departments. It's hard to identify and clean out those people, because everyone under them is afraid to speak. Good management identifies these problem managers and roots them out. They may whip their reports to produce, but it makes for some pretty low moral in certain branches of the corporate hierarchy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good products, good culture, a few irritating things.

ProsLots of great people to work with, interesting projects. Good products and surprisingly little politics. A lot of possibilities to develop within your role. If you require additional training which is key to your position, it will be provided. Good work/life balance, meaning you work much when there is a need, but there are also quieter times.

ConsThis company lacks critical view of itself. There is very little chance for internal promotion. Even if you succeed, salary increases are small and require a lot of fighting for. A lot of people are dissatisfied with their pay. Sometimes it is hard to find somebody who will take a decision and take responsibility for it. In some of the offices it shows that quality office space is not the priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the decisions, take the responsibility, do not hesitate that much.

Managing Partner

ProsExcellent company to work for with ample opportunities for growth. I've had a number of opportunities to move around to various positions and grow my skills set. The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance.

ConsThe health insurance isn't all that great, but I've had worse.

Relaxed environment, awesome people!

ProsThe environment is great. I've never worked with so many great people. It can get hectic from time to time, but I enjoy the challenge.

ConsI think the biggest con for Teradata is the lack of training. Which in the end can adversely effect upward job movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more robust training and job specific guidance. Offer more learning opportunities!

Good Experience

ProsWork Life balance and time flexibility

ConsLess opportunities to play different roles

Poor middle management with outdated technology... No future

Professional Services Senior Consultant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsBrand Recognition with some big clients but new client base is limiting.
    Pay and benefits decent depending on group and who is your "daddy"

ConsCan't compete with newer technologies
    Poor acquisitions and little insight in future technologies by decision makers
    Good ol' boys clubs
    Limited growth opportunities
    Facing current challenges and don't think they will make it though

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to emerging technologies that will disrupt you in the next few years and look to incorporate or bring some of those technologies in-house.

good technology

Prosgood technology and learning experience, work-life balance, some training opportunities

Consless promotion from internal, some ppl who stayed long time may leave

Bureaucratic!

Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsI work as a consultant and am shielded from a lot of the day-to-day bureaucratic nightmares that go on. I also have a lot of a autonomy and am not micro-managed, but that may be more a matter of the style of the person I report to than the company culture itself.

ConsI've never known another company to have as many meetings and to have as little work come from these meetings! It's ridiculous and really inefficient. There is also an enormous about of paperwork and forms for every little thing--once again, not at all efficient.

As a consultant, i work with a small group of people regularly and then the larger employee base occasionally. I'm dumbfounded by the number of people who are quite incompetent in their jobs--just can't seem to do basic things or communicate effectively. It also seems very unbalanced--some people work their tales off and others seems to barely put in 40 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrg seems top-heavy--too many in mgmt, and the "worker bees" are largely not qualified.

Worked for Teradata? Contribute to the Community!