Teradata

Updated December 11, 2014
3.5

Teradata President and Chief Executive Officer Mike Koehler
Mike Koehler

Pros
  • The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Wonderful corporate work environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path, the inner circle of senior management always look after themselves (in 10 reviews)

• Limited growth opportunities in the core data base area (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company culture, seasoned management, loyal customers and place to grow & round out your skils ..

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A company that truly recognizes A+ players. Great way to find mentors and grow. The biggest plus is the Fortune customers are loyal to Teradata for their support/services and in general the utility of the product. That's the environment that's generally hard to get with other competitors. The leadership strives hard to keep up with the change in the market place as they still a bit old school in thinking (Can't blame the company - it's been around for so many years and also successful - why do you need to change ?)

Cons

Teradata has trouble keeping top performers who generally move to startups because they get bored because of limited engagement with employees. On the positive side, it can also empower the top performers because there is a lot of space to grow as company does not discourage creativiity ! The top minds who are willing to stay back can have a great time at work even though the pay many not be super competitive compared to other companies in this space.

Having worked as a contractor at Teradata in Rancho Bernardo, CA. I can say it is a great place with great people.

Former Employee - Workstation Support in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Former Employee - Workstation Support in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I worked at Teradata as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Teradata has a very unique training style. It can be a bit confusing until you understand how they role. The people are nice and they seem more like a family than co-workers. It has a very laid back atmosphere yet can be very busy. Nobody appears stressed out or in a hurry.

Cons

Back to the "unique" training style, I can see how it could work. However, if your sent to do a job and have wrenches thrown in, it can mess you up. You have to at least know to look out for them (in my humble opinion at least).

You have a great team that really cares about their work. This is unusual for the typical enterprise employee. Keep up the good work ...and maybe reconsider training techniques a little.

Looking for yes-men and prize micromanagement

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Teradata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees (non-management) are fun, engaging, hard working, and very dedicated to their task list.
    The company has a nice break room.

Cons

They do not provide adequate work stations and expect you to bring your own gear if you want to do your job well.
    The management team prizes micromanagement and requires their involvement for trivial decisions, such as when to use an if statement vs a switch statement.
    The management team is looking for yes-men to not question anything.

Don't be tolerant to micromanagement and do not look for yes-men.

not a good company for visa holders and engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I never had a problem with Work and life Balance, No one is looking over your shoulder everyday.
    People are nice.
    Relaxed Environment.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive at all, SE gets 80-85K in SD. Very little bonus/raise for last two years (last year was about 1k ). Company is not meeting its expectations for last two years.

Need better annual pay raise. Flat hierarchy and very little chance for internal promotion. A lot of people are dissatisfied with their pay and trying to make switch.

People who works on visa's like H1B , They have to be in office from 9-5, They cannot work from home( if you want to work from home then you have to ask for it to the upper management with an explanation why you need it. This is sometimes good that you don't bring work to home. However I know some people who comes to office 2-3 days per week and the rest they work from home.)
    Policies for visa holder and locals is very different and that is not fair.
    No vacation adjustments at all ( You can go and visit family in different country maximum 2 weeks thats all and all your vacations are gone. (You cant even save these vacation because there is a max limit 10 vacations and 3 floating vacations).
    Learning curve is minimum 1 year. Every new hire struggles to make thing work for few months.
    No team building sessions. Seems like everyone is working separately.

Very stable company, but difficult to realize your income potential. Limited opportunities for professional growth.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly, team oriented culture - you feel as though you are part of a big family. Many long-time employees. High quality products and services and best reference customers in the business. Excellent reference on your resume.

Cons

Sales roles: consider carefully the industry you have as your territory. Not all vertical markets have the same propensity to buy Teradata products and services, so you won't make as much money and realize annual merit increases consistently as those with accounts that are data rich and data driven.

Up to date on Modern Technologies

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great open team of people to work with. People are open to all ideas and not afraid to try things out.

Cons

Office is a bit gloomy.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work/family balance. Nice employees and management in MOST departments within organization.

Cons

Need better annaual pay raises

Management sucks.

I worked at Teradata

Pros

Training was offered
    Monthly Bonus
    Virtual Office
    Travel Expenses paid
    Good Technology

Cons

It's all about claques
    Sales people over-promise
    Managers are vindictive
    Managers don't support their subordinates
    Managers will railroad you at the first opportunity

Leave for the good of the company

Sales People Should Stay Away

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Work/Life Balance - Every sales rep. works from home and creates their own schedule
    -Benefits - Wonderful benefits, 15% discount on TD Stock, and AMEX Expense Card
    -Management MEANS well, even if they are clueless
    -Teradata is still one of the best Data Warehousing companies out there

Cons

This will be the most complicated and tedious sale you will ever do throughout your whole sales career. It takes at least a year to really wrap your head around all of Teradata's suite of products. By the time you learn what the company's vision is, they already have a 'new vision'. It takes at least 30-50 meetings with an account to even consider closing a deal. Internal red tape will hold your deal up for months, and you'll be wondering why you're doing all this work for a couple grand in commission.

This isn't really a true 'hunter' role.. you're given 1 or 2 accounts and you're STUCK with them. In a lot of cases, these accounts are heavy into Oracle or IBM so it's nearly impossible to penetrate. But let's say you do penetrate (come on sales people should be optimistic).. the compensation isn't all too hot. I won't get into numbers here, but if you're closing $2-3MM/yr, I'd expect to be making 30-40% more than I do with Teradata.

Marketing is nonexistent. They expect each Sales Rep to send out invites to EVERY event to EVERY contact of their MANUALLY. Yep, you heard me right. Even 100 person start-ups have CRM systems capable of handling this. Oh yeah and CRM? We don't really use one. That's right.. a company that says you should 'consolidate all your data in one place and be data-driven' actually is quite the opposite. The internal Teradata Employee portal is horrendous.. it's the most complicated internal system I've ever used. I've been working with it for a year and I still only understand about 30% of it. Oh yeah - no support for Linkedin Premium which is a huge red flag - being that every serious sales org should be supporting their sales execs this way.

But look.. what this really comes down to is time and money. I've already told you the compensation isn't too good for how much TIME you'll spend on these accounts. What's most bothersome is this TIME isn't spent most with the prospects or clients.. It's spent with your SUPERIORS going over account reviews, quarterly reviews, which usually is a GIANT waste of time in the first place. How on earth am I supposed to put together an account plan or proposal if I haven't even met with a prospect to establish what their pain points are? These are the things you'll spend HOURS a day doing at Teradata, as opposed to coming up with creative ways to get in touch with your prospects and ask them good questions to find out what their pain actually is.

-Get a CRM
    -Get a Marketing Department that supports the CRM (Marketo, duh)
    -Sales Mgmt - spend more time on strategies to penetrate accounts as opposed to what we want to propose to the accounts before we even meet them!
    -Mgmt - Offer a consistent vision. Talk to 10 different people at Teradata and they'll all have a different vision of what Teradata is.
    -Compensate sales people better
    -Stop wasting precious time.. I can't stress this enough. There were countless times when I was sitting in a meeting or on a 4 hour long call thinking to myself 'how much money is being wasted on this meeting, lunch, call, etc.. when it's obvious non of your sales execs are listening'?
    -Keep up the acquisitions of new players to the market. It shows that Teradata is committed to their sales people. But let's put these acquisitions into action ASAP.

Loyal to Employees

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The flexibility within this company is great, the growth is good to a certain point depending on your role. The growth of the company has been stellar since the split of NCR.

Cons

The health insurance is terrible.