Teradata

Updated December 11, 2014
3.5

Teradata President and Chief Executive Officer Mike Koehler
Mike Koehler

Pros
  • The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Wonderful corporate work environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path, the inner circle of senior management always look after themselves (in 10 reviews)

• Limited growth opportunities in the core data base area (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Managing Partner

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for with ample opportunities for growth. I've had a number of opportunities to move around to various positions and grow my skills set. The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance.

Cons

The health insurance isn't all that great, but I've had worse.

Good products, good culture, a few irritating things.

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with, interesting projects. Good products and surprisingly little politics. A lot of possibilities to develop within your role. If you require additional training which is key to your position, it will be provided. Good work/life balance, meaning you work much when there is a need, but there are also quieter times.

Cons

This company lacks critical view of itself. There is very little chance for internal promotion. Even if you succeed, salary increases are small and require a lot of fighting for. A lot of people are dissatisfied with their pay. Sometimes it is hard to find somebody who will take a decision and take responsibility for it. In some of the offices it shows that quality office space is not the priority.

Take the decisions, take the responsibility, do not hesitate that much.

Relaxed environment, awesome people!

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is great. I've never worked with so many great people. It can get hectic from time to time, but I enjoy the challenge.

Cons

I think the biggest con for Teradata is the lack of training. Which in the end can adversely effect upward job movement.

Provide more robust training and job specific guidance. Offer more learning opportunities!

Who ever is in charge of this asylum needs to reevaluate their priorities .....

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Telecommute to work; some employees are really nice & honest; opportunity to meet new people (via phone, but rarely in person) who are based around the world.

Cons

Supervisor and management training and support of the working stiff at this joint is seriously lacking; pay reviews are fraught with nepotism, dishonest evaluations, manipulation of performance stats. Oh, and did I mention the good old fashion back stabbing tendencies of some seriously disgruntled folks there? The company has a true mix of really old farts and a recent slew of green college grad types so the halls are filled with lots of wide-eyed, confused, newbies; (makes for an interesting mix of gas & testosterone); and a palpable apathy among the mid-lifers who have committed several years to this joint. For those unlucky enough to carry a pager, good luck. The duty can be quite stressful (both in hours on-call, duration of calls, and frequency). Each product area has an associated GSO/ GSC/ Engineering gp. where I've learned, politics trumps sound business practice. There is limited, to no, team building. However, if you know someone who can leverage both your job offer, salary, and perks ..... go for it.

Figure out how to address the issues that exist in the trenches. This is where the future of the company's growth and potential resides.

I didn't have the most exciting experience

I worked at Teradata

Pros

Working from home was good

Cons

There were many cliques that created barriers

Address the cliques issues

Poor middle management with outdated technology... No future

Former Employee - Professional Services Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Brand Recognition with some big clients but new client base is limiting.
    Pay and benefits decent depending on group and who is your "daddy"

Cons

Can't compete with newer technologies
    Poor acquisitions and little insight in future technologies by decision makers
    Good ol' boys clubs
    Limited growth opportunities
    Facing current challenges and don't think they will make it though

Look to emerging technologies that will disrupt you in the next few years and look to incorporate or bring some of those technologies in-house.

Good Experience

I have been working at Teradata full-time

Pros

Work Life balance and time flexibility

Cons

Less opportunities to play different roles

Bureaucratic!

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Teradata as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work as a consultant and am shielded from a lot of the day-to-day bureaucratic nightmares that go on. I also have a lot of a autonomy and am not micro-managed, but that may be more a matter of the style of the person I report to than the company culture itself.

Cons

I've never known another company to have as many meetings and to have as little work come from these meetings! It's ridiculous and really inefficient. There is also an enormous about of paperwork and forms for every little thing--once again, not at all efficient.

As a consultant, i work with a small group of people regularly and then the larger employee base occasionally. I'm dumbfounded by the number of people who are quite incompetent in their jobs--just can't seem to do basic things or communicate effectively. It also seems very unbalanced--some people work their tales off and others seems to barely put in 40 hours.

Org seems top-heavy--too many in mgmt, and the "worker bees" are largely not qualified.

good technology

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good technology and learning experience, work-life balance, some training opportunities

Cons

less promotion from internal, some ppl who stayed long time may leave

Good place for flexible work schedule.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good place for working virtually or on a flexible work schedule. Great for engineers or sales and sales management professionals.

Cons

IT for workers lag behind other companies. Not a leading edge for marketing but improving. Little recognition outside of the sales organization. Medical benefits are not the best. Very few women or minorities in top management.

Try to recognize groups outside of sales more often. Make an effort to maintain goodwill with employees that are leaving the company.