Teradata

Updated January 25, 2015
3.5

Teradata President and Chief Executive Officer Mike Koehler
Mike Koehler

Pros
  • The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Wonderful corporate work environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path, the inner circle of senior management always look after themselves (in 10 reviews)

• Limited growth opportunities in the core data base area (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

good technology

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good technology and learning experience, work-life balance, some training opportunities

Cons

less promotion from internal, some ppl who stayed long time may leave

Good place for flexible work schedule.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good place for working virtually or on a flexible work schedule. Great for engineers or sales and sales management professionals.

Cons

IT for workers lag behind other companies. Not a leading edge for marketing but improving. Little recognition outside of the sales organization. Medical benefits are not the best. Very few women or minorities in top management.

Try to recognize groups outside of sales more often. Make an effort to maintain goodwill with employees that are leaving the company.

Solid Employment at a Leading Technology company

I have been working at Teradata full-time

Pros

I like working with products and not having to over-sell them. I have been offered positions at a higher salary to work for companies with inferior products... I couldn't do it. There is a huge benefit to knowing that you are selling the best solution.

Cons

This company seems to resist internal promotion. This demotivates people an either helps convince them to leave, or leaves them dissatisfied with their pay or opportunity for growth.

Grow your people. Do what it takes to keep the best talent.

Database Engineering

I worked at Teradata

Pros

Great work environment
    Bright people
    Challenging projects

Cons

Internal management views differ, need to work together more

Coworker great / Management still has lessons to be learned

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and the only reason i stay as long as i did. Some of them are not fun due to being overworked and management dropping more on them.

Cons

Management thinks the own you. Teradata Dayton pay well below going rates and does not negotiate. Project timelines are a joke, with app owner the project manager.

Stop thinking only today and plan for tomorrow. give lower managers some real power to do stuff.

Worked independlenty with self study from home when not traveling. Had very little contact with immediate manager.

I have been working at Teradata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good technology and information provided to employees who want to learn and grow

Cons

Too much isolation -- little group interaction -- probably depends on specific group you work in and manager. I felt I was inconveniencing manager when I would reach out to him. I do not think this is the way a Manager should make a subordinate feel.

Great Professional Services Experience

Current Employee - Professional Services Senior Consultant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Services Senior Consultant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with top notch technology and coworkers. Much more age and gender diverse workforce than many tech companies.

Cons

The only downside is the amount of travel that goes with consulting, but this is part of the job description and not anything Teradata can do anything about. We have to go where the clients are.

Software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good product. Flex hour. Good for older employees. But recently have seen 2 early retirement push to get rid of old employees.

Cons

For the software engineering division, Teradata Labs, management thinks very lowly of you if you are not on the top 10 percent of people they have to keep. Their mind is stuck in the last century. Does not reward people for creativity, but very quick at punishing if you commit slightest mistakes. Pay is 20-30% below industry. Merit increase is 1.5% a year.

Wake up and see how Silicone Valley treats tech people.

Freedom to be as creative as you are capable

Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay...bonus and other benefits...leading edge company on the forefront of BIG data and analytics. great opportunities for advancement. They also are very understanding and supportive of a great balance between work and life and do realize you have a family.

Cons

As with any large organization, politics, unfortunately, play a part in the company culture. For example, spinning off as our own corporate entity from NCR gave us an opportunity to fix some of the previous culture's broken processes. Instead of fixing them, we took them lock, stock, and barrel and will "fix them later". That's just a silly management decision and, of course, they still have not been fixed, three years later.

LISTEN to your people. You tout them as experts, but don't listen when they suggest opportunities for organizational improvements

This dinosaur is heading for extinction

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Years ago they used to make money

Cons

Addicted to hardware, the majority of the revenue is from it after marking it 1000% and well just look at hardware companies these days.
    No room for upward mobility.
    Company is old and running out of ideas. Always reactive to keep their few big customers happy.
    Most the people are very very old and do just enough to get by day to day.
    Loosing huge ground to the competition.
    No actual cloud vision at all just smoke and mirrors.
    ITS organization is the oldest, most out of date I've ever seen. See all the other reviews on the IT group, they are dead on.
    R&D is slow, hugely overburdened with the mountains of ridiculous formal processes. I mean how many times do you need to write a formal design document for a feature that should take no more than 100 lines of code.
    Understaffed all the time.
    Never willing to hear new ideas, even the CTO level is closed to any new ideas or concepts. Do not see the competition or recognize the changing industry.

Abandon ship...this is going the way of HP,Dell,and all the others.