Teradata Reviews

379 reviews filtered by

1. Great Solution - Not a great company for sales people

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Home Office. Work life balance is good. Great solution. Strong technical people.

Cons

Not a great comp plan. LONG LONG LONG sales cycle.Not enough technical support for the sales role. All resources spread too thin.

Advice to Management

Pay your reps more.

Amazingly stable high-tech company. Nice place to work, overall.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is the most stable I've worked for, with few layoffs. Prior to this job, the longest I was employed at a high tech software company was 3 years, and at that I was considered an "old timer". There are employees at Teradata who have been there for 10, 15, 20 years and more. The people are generally nice and top-notch in their fields. The working conditions are acceptable - all cubes, but high-walled cubes so there is a feeling of privacy. New El Segundo facility is just our company, industrial chic, repurposed light-manufacturing warehouse that used to be a Northrup place. Nice perk is that in the build-out of the new place, they added a very nice exercise room/gym, with decent weight and cardio machines, locker rooms and showers, and it's free to the employees to use any time. It's a relatively old company, so the fact that they can continue to compete in today's market with newer technologies (and adopt and adapt them) speaks well for the company and personnel.

Cons

Depending on the department, management can be either cool or Dilbert PHBs. Promotions are not frequent, and raises are small. Their bonus plan is okay and some compensation for the generally low-end salary raises, but it's not horrible, and your compensation is always more than just your salary. Holidays are about average - a few standard, and earned floating holidays, along with vacation days that increase with your time at the company. Some departments are cool about working from home, others forbid it, which is ridiculous, because many of your team members are offshore in India or China, and you're emailing and online meeting them anyway, which you could do from anywhere. It's just a toss of the dice as to what your department allows. Every quarter the company seems mostly sales-driven, and most of the investment seems to go to the sales end of things, but development is still interesting and exciting and gets done. Some (very few) of the upper-middle management terrorize their reports, and the badness flows downhill throughout their branches of the organization. People have left because of it. Good people who don't stand for insecure, defensive, no-talent middle managers dictating for their own egos, rather than the benefit of the company, demoralizing their entire branches.

Advice to Management

Working from home, at least occasionally, shouldn't be prohibited or discouraged. That reeks of insecure, defensive management. Realize that some of you rupper middle managers are snakes practically socioopaths to their reports and makes for some very unhappy departments. It's hard to identify and clean out those people, because everyone under them is afraid to speak. Good management identifies these problem managers and roots them out. They may whip their reports to produce, but it makes for some pretty low moral in certain branches of the corporate hierarchy.

Stable Company

I worked at Teradata (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management w/in my group was very good. Teradata brand name and heritage. Jobs allow for a good degree of independence with plenty of resources. If you don't have necessary resources Teradata will get them for you..

Cons

Higher echelon management no longer has the Teradata entrepreneur spirit it used to. Not as in touch with the competition and futures as they should be. To much time spent on training. Courses need to be combined / condensed.

Advice to Management

Get some new new talent from new sources like the Apache / Hadoop and analytics world. A little tighter coupling with forward thinking academia and industry iconoclasts would be a plus.

5. Awesome software company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training and a nice group of people to work with. Company has the best work life balance that I have come across and if you get in consider yourself lucky.

Cons

When I actually think about it, to me their wasn't any cons per say. The group I worked with was pretty awesome and supporting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and everything will continue to be good

6. Good products, good culture, a few irritating things.

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with, interesting projects. Good products and surprisingly little politics. A lot of possibilities to develop within your role. If you require additional training which is key to your position, it will be provided. Good work/life balance, meaning you work much when there is a need, but there are also quieter times.

Cons

This company lacks critical view of itself. There is very little chance for internal promotion. Even if you succeed, salary increases are small and require a lot of fighting for. A lot of people are dissatisfied with their pay. Sometimes it is hard to find somebody who will take a decision and take responsibility for it. In some of the offices it shows that quality office space is not the priority.

Advice to Management

Take the decisions, take the responsibility, do not hesitate that much.

7. Relaxed environment, awesome people!

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment is great. I've never worked with so many great people. It can get hectic from time to time, but I enjoy the challenge.

Cons

I think the biggest con for Teradata is the lack of training. Which in the end can adversely effect upward job movement.

Advice to Management

Provide more robust training and job specific guidance. Offer more learning opportunities!

8. Managing Partner

I have been working at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for with ample opportunities for growth. I've had a number of opportunities to move around to various positions and grow my skills set. The people are extremely nice and I've not had any issues with work-life balance.

Cons

The health insurance isn't all that great, but I've had worse.

Poor middle management with outdated technology... No future

Former Employee - Professional Services Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Brand Recognition with some big clients but new client base is limiting.
    Pay and benefits decent depending on group and who is your "daddy"

Cons

Can't compete with newer technologies
    Poor acquisitions and little insight in future technologies by decision makers
    Good ol' boys clubs
    Limited growth opportunities
    Facing current challenges and don't think they will make it though

Advice to Management

Look to emerging technologies that will disrupt you in the next few years and look to incorporate or bring some of those technologies in-house.

Who ever is in charge of this asylum needs to reevaluate their priorities .....

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teradata full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Telecommute to work; some employees are really nice & honest; opportunity to meet new people (via phone, but rarely in person) who are based around the world.

Cons

Supervisor and management training and support of the working stiff at this joint is seriously lacking; pay reviews are fraught with nepotism, dishonest evaluations, manipulation of performance stats. Oh, and did I mention the good old fashion back stabbing tendencies of some seriously disgruntled folks there? The company has a true mix of really old farts and a recent slew of green college grad types so the halls are filled with lots of wide-eyed, confused, newbies; (makes for an interesting mix of gas & testosterone); and a palpable apathy among the mid-lifers who have committed several years to this joint. For those unlucky enough to carry a pager, good luck. The duty can be quite stressful (both in hours on-call, duration of calls, and frequency). Each product area has an associated GSO/ GSC/ Engineering gp. where I've learned, politics trumps sound business practice. There is limited, to no, team building. However, if you know someone who can leverage both your job offer, salary, and perks ..... go for it.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to address the issues that exist in the trenches. This is where the future of the company's growth and potential resides.

Good Experience

I have been working at Teradata full-time

Pros

Work Life balance and time flexibility

Cons

Less opportunities to play different roles