Teradyne

Teradyne Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Teradyne President, CEO, and Director Michael A. Bradley

Michael A. Bradley

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedule; Generous vacation time; Education benefits are great; The culture is great, encourages openness"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Relaxed environment, friendly people"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management seems static and non-diverse (rare to see minorities and females)"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Despite this strategy, company stock price is 10% of what it was at its all time high"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Place to work

I have been working at Teradyne

ProsGood environment, good people, many learning opportunities

ConsLong hours sometimes, but is probably more the industry than company

good company with decent opportunity for growth

Information Systems Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 5 years

Proscompany promotes from within and salary structure is competitive

Constypical hierarchical management structure, the test equipment business also can also have long periods of downturn.

Advice to Senior Managementinstituting an ope door policy would be these guys

Great company

Material Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Teradyne full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are smart and driven to do the right thing. The culture is focused on people and innovation.

ConsThe overall business is volatile. There are a lot of ups and downs, and they have trouble dealing with the swings. This leads to drastic hiring and potential layoffs on the downturns.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to adopt positive reinforcement for the key performers. Reward good talent and give them recognition.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company with growth opportunities

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
North Reading, MA

I have been working at Teradyne full-time

ProsThere are many growth opportunities at Teradyne if you perform well. They like to hire from within. The company also sponsors and holds quite a few "team-building" type celebrations to help build morale.

ConsThere is still some old-school train of thought when it comes to flexible schedules, etc. Also, there is a small company feel in many parts of the company, in which a few people make most of the important decisions. If you get on the someone's bad list, you may not come off.

Software Engineering Intern

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Teradyne as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly people. Most of whom have been in this company for more than 5 years

ConsGrowth is not that fast in this company.

Great place to work fun but mgmt was a bit stiff

Product Support Engineer (Former Employee)
Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking culture for me during period of 1997 -2002 was great
First time in ATE field and had fun , traveled around usa and canada and asia
If u are a charger no problem nice benefits profit sharing in that time was a gold mine people made money with it . It was joy to work there as co workers were great from shipping department to manufacture application design and field eng all over d world
Loved d great cafeteria on site no need to go outside the place for food
I can walk in d office of top boss of agoura plant and talk openly open door policy
Culture was great,didn't mind d hectic delivery schedule kept you on your toes.great opportunity for further education like MBA from Peperdine

ConsMIcro management in product support department at least by our manager Lee Blake who had napoleon syndrome
Co worker quit and they gave his assignment on top of my job and at d end of year no recognition for doing two jobs and gave me 2% raise .
Wanted to transfer to another group but hard to switch. When I was laid off the mgm would not allow me to say good buy to my coworkers around me just told me to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a bit more flexible

poorly managed

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTechnology is exceptional. Good product mix. Outstanding field service support. Outstanding engineering.

ConsCompany processes designed for a company of 8000 people, but it has downsized to less than 3000. Has significant market share but really needs to continue to grow this market share to maintain company value. Applications support is mediocre and expensive via the GSO group.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure GSO so that it's more tied in with the Sales process of selling systems.

Great day to day, poor growth opportunities.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
North Reading, MA

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than a year

ProsVery friendly coworkers and approachable immediate managers. Managers are understanding of real world situations. MSDN subscriptions for engineers.

Great place for someone that just needs a stable job. Most employees have been their for a long time or their whole career. Very easy to be good at your job.

Despite the negatives below its a lot of fun to work there. You sacrifice technical growth for a great work environment. You will overall enjoy working here.

ConsDecade behind current software practices at best, never knew how to write good software at worst. Better like Waterfall.

Every single con that exists with Waterfall exists here.

Compensates for its bad software practices by throwing more and more employees at the problem and consistently missing deadlines. Also leans heavily on outsourced lost cost labor that ultimately ends up costing the American engineers more time than it saves.

Political climate within management is that Agile is the devil and would lead to catastrophic results. Management has a serious misunderstanding of what Agile is.

Anytime the process fails they add additional process.

Employees are very knowledgeable but generally only about Teradyne related software.

Despite having access to MSDN except tech stack to be 3-5 years out of date for new projects. Worse for existing project.

Continuous integration doesn't exist.

Engineers don't eat their own dog food, separate QA department that is isolated from the engineers building the project.

No pair programming.

Source control is a mess.

For anyone with exceptional talent this company is at best a stepping stone. Do not stick around long. Only a handful of 3+ year seniority employees pursue software as a passion.

Work environment will not keep your skills current. It is common to see senior engineer (10+ years of experience) that can barely do .NET at a mid tier developer level despite the company being a fully Windows shop. If you are great at software this place will hold you back or develop bad habits.

Compensation is mediocre to below average. Besides a few critical engineers management has no interest retaining talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou desperately need to adopt agile and create an environment where employees are constantly expanding their skillsets.

Good colleagues, mean management

San Jose, CA

I have been working at Teradyne full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of great people to work with. Very flexible environment. Very low stress

ConsSunset industry with lots of consolidation/ merging happened during the last several years, There were used be 7 public companies, now only 3 companies. many managers who have been in test equipment business over 20 years have nowhere to go, but to kiss his boss to hang in there

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your supervises better although they are stuck in this industry

great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 10 years

Prosemployee input encouraged to improve quality and market share

Consfounder died, current management has very different ideals

Worked for Teradyne? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teradyne reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teradyne CEO Michael A. Bradley. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Teradyne employees.