Teradyne Reviews

Updated June 13, 2014
Updated June 13, 2014

3.4

Mark E. Jagiela

Pros
  • Good benefit package, Good people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• It is a good working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems static and non-diverse (rare to see minorities and females) (in 4 reviews)

• When I first started there, senior management was mostly engineers who rose through the ranks, now (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally positive. Co-workers were great, san one

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Teradyne as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot. Great educational experience.

Cons

Market flat, or very little margin. They are hiring a lot of contractors but not many direct hire. The life expectancy of a contractor there seems pretty limited. Little feedback from management to gauge work product.

st

Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

high end technology, founded by engineers but now run by bean counters. Most physical work is now contracted out, and the people that know how to do things are at retirement age.

Cons

no leadership from Sr management since founder Alex retired. Overloaded employees working with indifferent contractors. The only ones getting rich here is Sr management.

If consultants know more about your business than your employees, your company is nothing special

Worked there 18 years, not continous, last time they bought out my company so I was forced back.

Former Employee - Applications Engineer  in  North Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in North Reading, MA

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fairly flexible working environment. Lots of good people. Good health benefits.

Cons

There are a lot of managers that have no people skills. There are a lot of managers who have been in their jobs for many, many years, but they really aren't very good at what they do. Their tuition reimbursement is not competitive. A lot of people are stuck in their ways, doing things the same way they've always done them. They are not good at adjusting to the marketplace, I see big changes in the ATE environment coming, but management doesn't see that, in a few years, they'll be playing "catch up". Field applications has shrunk more than 50% over the past 15 years, management doesn't realize field applications used to help sell testers, they don't "get it". You cannot get promoted to a senior level position at Teradyne unless you are "in the club". When I first started there, senior management was mostly engineers who rose through the ranks, now senior management is all MBAs from Harvard and MIT. If you are an engineer with aspirations to get into senior management, DON'T work for Teradyne. Senior management, including the CEO, are always convinced they are the smartest people in the room, even among experienced, smart engineers. Senior management often makes stupid decisions because they think they are so smart, they don't try to get differing opinions from other people. The internal job listings are a joke, I applied for probably 10 jobs, every single one they already had someone in mind, they were just going through the motions posting the job to make it look like they were actually doing a candidate search.

Promote sharp people from within instead of hiring outside MBAs as managers. Allow customer support, (field applications, service, etc.) to be break even again instead of forcing them to return money to the division. Customer support sells testers! Look at the industry, get feedback from customers and try to anticipate where the industry will be in 10 years and start planning/changing NOW!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good company with decent opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Information Systems Architect  in  North Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Architect in North Reading, MA

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

company promotes from within and salary structure is competitive

Cons

typical hierarchical management structure, the test equipment business also can also have long periods of downturn.

instituting an ope door policy would be these guys

Good Place to work

I have been working at Teradyne

Pros

Good environment, good people, many learning opportunities

Cons

Long hours sometimes, but is probably more the industry than company

Great company

Current Employee - Material Planner  in  North Reading, MA
    Current Employee - Material Planner in North Reading, MA

I have been working at Teradyne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are smart and driven to do the right thing. The culture is focused on people and innovation.

Cons

The overall business is volatile. There are a lot of ups and downs, and they have trouble dealing with the swings. This leads to drastic hiring and potential layoffs on the downturns.

Management needs to adopt positive reinforcement for the key performers. Reward good talent and give them recognition.

Excellent company with growth opportunities

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  North Reading, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in North Reading, MA

I have been working at Teradyne full-time

Pros

There are many growth opportunities at Teradyne if you perform well. They like to hire from within. The company also sponsors and holds quite a few "team-building" type celebrations to help build morale.

Cons

There is still some old-school train of thought when it comes to flexible schedules, etc. Also, there is a small company feel in many parts of the company, in which a few people make most of the important decisions. If you get on the someone's bad list, you may not come off.

Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Teradyne as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people. Most of whom have been in this company for more than 5 years

Cons

Growth is not that fast in this company.

Great place to work fun but mgmt was a bit stiff

Former Employee - Product Support Engineer  in  Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working culture for me during period of 1997 -2002 was great
    First time in ATE field and had fun , traveled around usa and canada and asia
    If u are a charger no problem nice benefits profit sharing in that time was a gold mine people made money with it . It was joy to work there as co workers were great from shipping department to manufacture application design and field eng all over d world
    Loved d great cafeteria on site no need to go outside the place for food
    I can walk in d office of top boss of agoura plant and talk openly open door policy
    Culture was great,didn't mind d hectic delivery schedule kept you on your toes.great opportunity for further education like MBA from Peperdine

Cons

MIcro management in product support department at least by our manager Lee Blake who had napoleon syndrome
    Co worker quit and they gave his assignment on top of my job and at d end of year no recognition for doing two jobs and gave me 2% raise .
    Wanted to transfer to another group but hard to switch. When I was laid off the mgm would not allow me to say good buy to my coworkers around me just told me to leave.

Be a bit more flexible

poorly managed

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Teradyne full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Technology is exceptional. Good product mix. Outstanding field service support. Outstanding engineering.

Cons

Company processes designed for a company of 8000 people, but it has downsized to less than 3000. Has significant market share but really needs to continue to grow this market share to maintain company value. Applications support is mediocre and expensive via the GSO group.

Restructure GSO so that it's more tied in with the Sales process of selling systems.

Worked for Teradyne? Contribute to the Community!