Teradyne Reviews

92 reviews filtered by

1. Great place to work fun but mgmt was a bit stiff

Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Teradyne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working culture for me during period of 1997 -2002 was great
    First time in ATE field and had fun , traveled around usa and canada and asia
    If u are a charger no problem nice benefits profit sharing in that time was a gold mine people made money with it . It was joy to work there as co workers were great from shipping department to manufacture application design and field eng all over d world
    Loved d great cafeteria on site no need to go outside the place for food
    I can walk in d office of top boss of agoura plant and talk openly open door policy
    Culture was great,didn't mind d hectic delivery schedule kept you on your toes.great opportunity for further education like MBA from Peperdine

Cons

MIcro management in product support department at least by our manager Lee Blake who had napoleon syndrome
    Co worker quit and they gave his assignment on top of my job and at d end of year no recognition for doing two jobs and gave me 2% raise .
    Wanted to transfer to another group but hard to switch. When I was laid off the mgm would not allow me to say good buy to my coworkers around me just told me to leave.

Be a bit more flexible

poorly managed

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Teradyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Technology is exceptional. Good product mix. Outstanding field service support. Outstanding engineering.

Cons

Company processes designed for a company of 8000 people, but it has downsized to less than 3000. Has significant market share but really needs to continue to grow this market share to maintain company value. Applications support is mediocre and expensive via the GSO group.

Restructure GSO so that it's more tied in with the Sales process of selling systems.

3. Great day to day, poor growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in North Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in North Reading, MA

I worked at Teradyne full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very friendly coworkers and approachable immediate managers. Managers are understanding of real world situations. MSDN subscriptions for engineers.

Great place for someone that just needs a stable job. Most employees have been their for a long time or their whole career. Very easy to be good at your job.

Despite the negatives below its a lot of fun to work there. You sacrifice technical growth for a great work environment. You will overall enjoy working here.

Cons

Decade behind current software practices at best, never knew how to write good software at worst. Better like Waterfall.

Every single con that exists with Waterfall exists here.

Compensates for its bad software practices by throwing more and more employees at the problem and consistently missing deadlines. Also leans heavily on outsourced lost cost labor that ultimately ends up costing the American engineers more time than it saves.

Political climate within management is that Agile is the devil and would lead to catastrophic results. Management has a serious misunderstanding of what Agile is.

Anytime the process fails they add additional process.

Employees are very knowledgeable but generally only about Teradyne related software.

Despite having access to MSDN except tech stack to be 3-5 years out of date for new projects. Worse for existing project.

Continuous integration doesn't exist.

Engineers don't eat their own dog food, separate QA department that is isolated from the engineers building the project.

No pair programming.

Source control is a mess.

For anyone with exceptional talent this company is at best a stepping stone. Do not stick around long. Only a handful of 3+ year seniority employees pursue software as a passion.

Work environment will not keep your skills current. It is common to see senior engineer (10+ years of experience) that can barely do .NET at a mid tier developer level despite the company being a fully Windows shop. If you are great at software this place will hold you back or develop bad habits.

Compensation is mediocre to below average. Besides a few critical engineers management has no interest retaining talent.

You desperately need to adopt agile and create an environment where employees are constantly expanding their skillsets.

Good colleagues, mean management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Teradyne full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with. Very flexible environment. Very low stress

Cons

Sunset industry with lots of consolidation/ merging happened during the last several years, There were used be 7 public companies, now only 3 companies. many managers who have been in test equipment business over 20 years have nowhere to go, but to kiss his boss to hang in there

treat your supervises better although they are stuck in this industry

Good vibes for a moderately sized company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Teradyne as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers treat you like family.

Cons

Upper management seems static and non-diverse (rare to see minorities and females). No upward mobility for newcomers. The silicon testing industry is very cyclical - companies win and lose big time.

Open up to diversity to encourage growth within the ranks.

7. great place to work

I worked at Teradyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

employee input encouraged to improve quality and market share

Cons

founder died, current management has very different ideals

8. Management

Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I worked at Teradyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to see the world. Fun competent coworkers in engineering.

Cons

The company relocated our family and another family at the same time. Within two weeks of closing on our new house, the coworker was laid off. The manager apparently received a raise because when he came out for a Christmas party he was laughing and joking while the rest of us sat straight-faced. There was extensive travel, and disturbing lack of appreciation for $/hr logistics, and family obligations. A "glitch" in expense report compensation to the tune of 3 trips to Asia was the last straw. Expect to travel. Expect to have a stay at home wife with $0.00 income.

Hire less pompous non-technical managers.

9. Fun technology to work on.

I have been working at Teradyne

Pros

Career advancement is a plus.

Cons

Pressure of schedules and time to market.

Pay More

10. Friendly people but excessive hours expected with poor recognition

Former Employee - Inventory in North Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Inventory in North Reading, MA

I worked at Teradyne full-time

Pros

Friendly people, relaxed dress code Like the emphasis on values

Cons

Mediocre raises. 12 hour workdays expected with no recognition. Work/life balance is not possible. Not much room for advancement. Quick to criticize instead of recognize dedication and hard work. Operations group is fast paced as inventory is a hot area but company should make a point to recognize employee sacrifices and show appreciation.

11. Good company, great colleagues

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in North Reading, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in North Reading, MA

I have been working at Teradyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

different test divisions, great colleagues

Cons

average pay, limited upward mobility

Teradyne Photos