Terex

Updated November 14, 2014
3.6

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Work life balance 4/10's and everyone is pretty much held to that even salary (in 11 reviews)

• Company where you have an opportunity to make a difference (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Business is cyclical and can have extreme ups and downs (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good culture and great people to work with

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to work cross-functionally and work with some very talented people. There are a lot of people that have worked at Genie for a long time, and a lot of people that leave end up coming back. I think that is a testament to the company culture in Redmond.

Cons

The production teams drive very hard. Often times this creates a lot of turnover in assembly and support teams. Salaries are generally lower than other companies in the area.

Strive to improve morale and ultimately quality on the shop floor.

AWP Perspective

Current Employee - Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance 4/10's and everyone is pretty much held to that even salary. You work on occasion every other Friday. So you might work 45 hours on average a week.

Cons

Everyone works in silos, therefore a lot of working against each other.

Poor communication

A company which makes decisions on the production floor not on data but just what people think. Very reactive and not proactive.

We just had 500 people laid off in the AWP division and people are really concerned. There are major layoffs around every 5-8 years. Management says no more that they know of but they cannot tell everyone that there will be more to come, it would make an even more stressed out environment.

Dec 17, 2014Admin

Thank you for sharing your comments on the Terex Glassdoor page. Your opinion of Terex is important to us and we will share your comments with the Redmond, WA leadership team, so they can look into ... More

Many opportunities for growth and development, but bureaucracy and poor support will hold you back.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer I in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer I in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most co-workers are hard working and ready to help you solve issues. Great opportunity to gain experience in lean manufacturing. Benefits are very good, including 401k, stock options, profit sharing, two week personal time, and Passport discount card. The quality of training can vary greatly depending on what department you go into.

Cons

Management is knowledgeable, but disconnected from work force and unresponsive. Support structure is poor and bureaucracy can be a great hinderance. There is a revolving door of managers, so you will constantly be dealing with a new boss with different standards.

Someone needs to stick around long enough to understand their work force.

Oct 16, 2014Admin

Thank you for sharing your comments on the Terex Glassdoor page. We are glad to hear that you are pleased with the Terex benefits plan. Regarding our managers, we have recently rolled out a new ... More

Freedom to grow with a risk tolerant culture and admirable view toward work-life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overall positive company culture with driven employees but without the cut-throat atmosphere found in some business cultures. Top down strong attitude of ensuring positive work-life balance.

Cons

Very risk tolerant culture lends to many ready, shoot, aim scenarios. Must be comfortable with ambiguity and flexible with change.

Communicate the 3-5yr vision for the company & let directors/managers develop plans to support.

Another holding company to benefit shareholders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employment is reasonably stable, for permanent employees. They provide competitive health insurance benefits. Education benefits may be provided, but availability depends heavily on the personality of your manager.

Cons

Low pay for given job functions. Poor prospects for advancement. The company culture is promoted as outwardly positive, but is backwards and oppressive in practice. Although there is a performance bonus, it is so tiny as to be nearly pointless for non-managers.

Upper management prides itself on their corporate culture, but at the ground level ambition and innovation are consistently stamped out, and business decisions are made based on uninformed intuition and personality.

Ambitious, but rubbish.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time

Pros

The business team provide a great number of training programs to use and implement into day-to-day processes. These training programs result in a vast knowledge of lean culture and theory which is highly sought after by other employers.

Cons

As an engineer is little incentive to work harder and improve yourself other than self drive. Terex attempts to standardize everything, including engineering roles and salaries. This results in a group of people with varying educational backgrounds, various career goals, and various work loads all getting compensated the exact same amount which in turn leads to an extremely high turnover rate for the more ambitious and demanding positions.

Pay people what they are worth.

Jul 24, 2014Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your opinion of Terex is important to us and we will share your comments with our Redmond leadership team ... More

Fast paced

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging fast paced work enviorment.

Cons

Seasonal, But they keep the productive team members, They need to practice what they teach.

Start a program and see it through, To many things get started then forgot.

A dead end job

Former Employee - Administration in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Administration in Redmond, WA

I worked at Terex as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, decent pay.

Cons

It is evident that management is under a great deal of stress. They cascade their unrealistic expectations to their subordinates. Old school management style.

Learn from progressive E-Commerce companies

A Global Family

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Terex is a family oriented company that consistently strives for improvement in safety, quality and servant leadership. Our culture enables us as a company to provide our customers with high quality products around the world. I am proud to be part of the Terex team.

Cons

Need better choices of food in the cafeteria. Although there are healthy choices for breakfast and lunch, we should look to phase out the foods high in salt and fat.

Thorough communication is a necessity in creating a culture in which all team members operate by the same standards.

Easy going environment.

Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, people are friendly

Cons

Political, slow, not challenging, no good development program