Terex

Updated September 12, 2014
3.7

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, supportive culture, full of career opportunities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great working experience. Tons of opportunity to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company perks, learning development programs, knowledgable managers, team members

Cons

Company needs a better stream line communication in process. Too many people doing the same job - tend to overlap quite a bit.

Focus more on your team members from the bottom up, not the other way around.

Average Experience so far

I have been working at Terex

Pros

Pay and benefits are the reason to work here. The work is generally simple and not challenging, but at this time in my life i'm not looking for challenging work. Iw ant good pay and benefits and time with my family. Terex is a good place to work if that's what's important to you. here is room for Growth too, if you work hard and are interested in that kind of thing.

Cons

See above. There isn't a challenge in the work that I do, which can sometimes cause me to be a little disengaged. Also, this is one of the smaller companies in this industry, and it's not always great to be the underdog.

Try to find more ways to compete with the big boys out there. It will make for a stronger future.

Career Growth is Bleak to Non-existent

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Until a year ago Is was thrilled about working at Terex. I put in 50 hours a week and was happy to do it. Senior leadership is good in setting the direction for the business.

Cons

Direct Management threatens, blames you for things he did, never praises, takes personal credit for work you did. Treats team members in the region where management is much better than other region team members. Business support structures below Senior Management are never recognized unless they are in manufacturing. Morale is at an all time low.

Train new management to act in Terex way, and act as they would have liked to be managed.

Terex Response

Sep 12, 2014Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We know that our team members are our most valuable assets; without them Terex would not be successful ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee powered company with no support for managers

I worked at Terex

Pros

Great pay - could just show up and do average and be extraordinary

Cons

If you did too much you were frowned on

By giving so much power to your workforce when they aren't even unionized you actually make it harder for your management team to do their positions

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Intern  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A very rewarding expereience. Learned a lot about the company and best business practices. Work and projects are relevant to the team's current objectives, never feel as if I am doing "busy-work." Supervisors and management act as supportive mentors and are always there when help is needed. You get to work with an array of team members, not only in Westport but from around the world. From an intern's prosepective, this is an excellent company to get started at.

Cons

Projects can have little to no direction. This can take a while to get used to at first, but it is the most effective way to become a better thinker and team member.

Have more learning and training sessions for the intern group. Possibly one large project that requires input from each intern, due at the end of the internship. Place interns close to their direct supervisors.

Best Place to Work Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My job at Terex is truly the best job I've ever had. My manager is very supportive, encouraging, and inspiring and a great role model. My fellow team members enjoy working together and helping each other to successfully achieve our team's goals and objectives. I also have the opportunity to work with team members in other departments at my location as well as globally, which has increased my knowledge of the company as a whole. While a formal flex-time policy has not yet been established, I am fortunate to have a manager who understands the importance of work-life balance and a work environment that enables me to meet my family's needs. The opportunities for career growth and personal development at Terex are remarkable and I look forward to being a part of this company for a long, long time to come.

Cons

The economy has certainly taken its toll in the industry in recent years and Terex has not been immune to the changes and challenges. However, I feel that Senior Management has a good grasp of what it takes to turn these challenges into opportunities and is doing its best to find ways to improve the bottom line while maintaining a good, safe working environment for its employees.

Keep up the good work. I like the fact that Senior Management at Terex listens to their team members and is honestly interested in what they think and do. Every two years, the company conducts a Team Member Survey and makes a point of responding to employees' comments and suggestions. They also are working hard to create and maintain a diverse workforce and strive to be respectful of cultural and gender differences. This not only makes employees feel valued, it makes good business sense since happy team members work together better and are more productive. Good progress has been made, but more can be done in this area, particularly within upper management, by increasing the mentoring and career growth opportunities for women and non-majority team members.

Terex Response

Aug 12, 2014Admin

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive impact on your work experience. We value your opinion and are committed to team member ... More

Good place to work,pay is fine,

Current Employee - Lean Workshop Leader  in  Baraga, MI
    Current Employee - Lean Workshop Leader in Baraga, MI

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learning environment, great culture, safety is very important, people are listened too

Cons

The plant shut down, huge corporation answers to shareholders, local management was fantastic,

Should have left the plant that set the standard for lean alone

Loved Working for Terex

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager  in  Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Westport, CT

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Legal Department
    Good people
    A good corporate environment

Cons

I wished I was not laid off at all during the great recession. I miss being there.

Production Supervisor

Current Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Moses Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Moses Lake, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady job, stable company, good culture.

Cons

Hard to move up past Supervisor point

Went pretty quickly but has leveled off

Good culture and great people to work with

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to work cross-functionally and work with some very talented people. There are a lot of people that have worked at Genie for a long time, and a lot of people that leave end up coming back. I think that is a testament to the company culture in Redmond.

Cons

The production teams drive very hard. Often times this creates a lot of turnover in assembly and support teams. Salaries are generally lower than other companies in the area.

Strive to improve morale and ultimately quality on the shop floor.

Worked for Terex? Contribute to the Community!