Terex

Updated August 8, 2014

3.7

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, supportive culture, full of career opportunities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work,pay is fine,

Current Employee - Lean Workshop Leader  in  Baraga, MI
    Current Employee - Lean Workshop Leader in Baraga, MI

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learning environment, great culture, safety is very important, people are listened too

Cons

The plant shut down, huge corporation answers to shareholders, local management was fantastic,

Should have left the plant that set the standard for lean alone

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Intern  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A very rewarding expereience. Learned a lot about the company and best business practices. Work and projects are relevant to the team's current objectives, never feel as if I am doing "busy-work." Supervisors and management act as supportive mentors and are always there when help is needed. You get to work with an array of team members, not only in Westport but from around the world. From an intern's prosepective, this is an excellent company to get started at.

Cons

Projects can have little to no direction. This can take a while to get used to at first, but it is the most effective way to become a better thinker and team member.

Have more learning and training sessions for the intern group. Possibly one large project that requires input from each intern, due at the end of the internship. Place interns close to their direct supervisors.

Best Place to Work Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My job at Terex is truly the best job I've ever had. My manager is very supportive, encouraging, and inspiring and a great role model. My fellow team members enjoy working together and helping each other to successfully achieve our team's goals and objectives. I also have the opportunity to work with team members in other departments at my location as well as globally, which has increased my knowledge of the company as a whole. While a formal flex-time policy has not yet been established, I am fortunate to have a manager who understands the importance of work-life balance and a work environment that enables me to meet my family's needs. The opportunities for career growth and personal development at Terex are remarkable and I look forward to being a part of this company for a long, long time to come.

Cons

The economy has certainly taken its toll in the industry in recent years and Terex has not been immune to the changes and challenges. However, I feel that Senior Management has a good grasp of what it takes to turn these challenges into opportunities and is doing its best to find ways to improve the bottom line while maintaining a good, safe working environment for its employees.

Keep up the good work. I like the fact that Senior Management at Terex listens to their team members and is honestly interested in what they think and do. Every two years, the company conducts a Team Member Survey and makes a point of responding to employees' comments and suggestions. They also are working hard to create and maintain a diverse workforce and strive to be respectful of cultural and gender differences. This not only makes employees feel valued, it makes good business sense since happy team members work together better and are more productive. Good progress has been made, but more can be done in this area, particularly within upper management, by increasing the mentoring and career growth opportunities for women and non-majority team members.

Terex Response

Aug 12, 2014Admin

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive impact on your work experience. We value your opinion and are committed to team member ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved Working for Terex

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager  in  Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Westport, CT

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Legal Department
    Good people
    A good corporate environment

Cons

I wished I was not laid off at all during the great recession. I miss being there.

Production Supervisor

Current Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Moses Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Moses Lake, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady job, stable company, good culture.

Cons

Hard to move up past Supervisor point

Went pretty quickly but has leveled off

Good culture and great people to work with

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to work cross-functionally and work with some very talented people. There are a lot of people that have worked at Genie for a long time, and a lot of people that leave end up coming back. I think that is a testament to the company culture in Redmond.

Cons

The production teams drive very hard. Often times this creates a lot of turnover in assembly and support teams. Salaries are generally lower than other companies in the area.

Strive to improve morale and ultimately quality on the shop floor.

A Great Company Looking Inward

I have been working at Terex

Pros

There are a lot of chances in Terex to communicate with upper management, and they are very obliging. Everyone is very friendly, and the environment is both lively and professional, with encouragement to live healthily. The company has grown a great deal, and now there is a lot of opportunity for focusing internally to build efficiencies. Ethics are highly valued at Terex, and a major part of discussion.

Cons

There are some inefficiencies in the workplace with delegating tasks across the workforce.

Perhaps to create a forum to share work overload, and to encourage people whose efforts are freed up to assist.

Freedom to grow with a risk tolerant culture and admirable view toward work-life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Overall positive company culture with driven employees but without the cut-throat atmosphere found in some business cultures. Top down strong attitude of ensuring positive work-life balance.

Cons

Very risk tolerant culture lends to many ready, shoot, aim scenarios. Must be comfortable with ambiguity and flexible with change.

Communicate the 3-5yr vision for the company & let directors/managers develop plans to support.

Excellent Opportunities to Learn and Grow

Current Employee - Materials Manager
    Current Employee - Materials Manager

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Terex provides excellent opportunities for people willing to apply themselves and grow their skills. Training is provided by qualified instructors at other Terex plants or in professional/trade school settings in which they cover your tuition for applicable classes. Also have excellent benefits.

Cons

Some branches are affected by the ups and downs of the economy and legislative processes. They acquire many businesses and sometimes sell them, meaning your owner/employer could radically change. Some branches are very political in terms of which people can advance, creating a 'watch your back' type of environment.

Please be more transparent when dealing with switching employee jobs, especially the justifactions for making those changes. Cross-training is an important foundation for the success of Terex, but when not used properly creates an air of favoritism and spite than ruins an otherwise excellent working environment.

Great place to work

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The things that make it worth working there are the following,very competitive wages and benefits.Co workers are always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

I think there are more pros than cons to this company,but for cons I would say sometimes people more deserving of a promotion dont get it when some that dont work as hard do.

Open your eyes a bit,your on the right path.

Worked for Terex? Contribute to the Community!