Terex

Updated October 13, 2014
3.8

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to make your mark and be involved (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

great people to work with

Former Employee - Returns Clerk in Southaven, MS
    Former Employee - Returns Clerk in Southaven, MS

I worked at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great location great pay and nice people

Cons

none have no problem with company

management was great at this company

Great working experience. Tons of opportunity to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company perks, learning development programs, knowledgable managers, team members

Cons

Company needs a better stream line communication in process. Too many people doing the same job - tend to overlap quite a bit.

Focus more on your team members from the bottom up, not the other way around.

Good place to work,pay is fine,

Current Employee - Lean Workshop Leader in Baraga, MI
    Current Employee - Lean Workshop Leader in Baraga, MI

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learning environment, great culture, safety is very important, people are listened too

Cons

The plant shut down, huge corporation answers to shareholders, local management was fantastic,

Should have left the plant that set the standard for lean alone

Best Place to Work Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My job at Terex is truly the best job I've ever had. My manager is very supportive, encouraging, and inspiring and a great role model. My fellow team members enjoy working together and helping each other to successfully achieve our team's goals and objectives. I also have the opportunity to work with team members in other departments at my location as well as globally, which has increased my knowledge of the company as a whole. While a formal flex-time policy has not yet been established, I am fortunate to have a manager who understands the importance of work-life balance and a work environment that enables me to meet my family's needs. The opportunities for career growth and personal development at Terex are remarkable and I look forward to being a part of this company for a long, long time to come.

Cons

The economy has certainly taken its toll in the industry in recent years and Terex has not been immune to the changes and challenges. However, I feel that Senior Management has a good grasp of what it takes to turn these challenges into opportunities and is doing its best to find ways to improve the bottom line while maintaining a good, safe working environment for its employees.

Keep up the good work. I like the fact that Senior Management at Terex listens to their team members and is honestly interested in what they think and do. Every two years, the company conducts a Team Member Survey and makes a point of responding to employees' comments and suggestions. They also are working hard to create and maintain a diverse workforce and strive to be respectful of cultural and gender differences. This not only makes employees feel valued, it makes good business sense since happy team members work together better and are more productive. Good progress has been made, but more can be done in this area, particularly within upper management, by increasing the mentoring and career growth opportunities for women and non-majority team members.

Aug 12, 2014Admin

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive impact on your work experience. We value your opinion and are committed to team member ... More

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Intern in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A very rewarding expereience. Learned a lot about the company and best business practices. Work and projects are relevant to the team's current objectives, never feel as if I am doing "busy-work." Supervisors and management act as supportive mentors and are always there when help is needed. You get to work with an array of team members, not only in Westport but from around the world. From an intern's prosepective, this is an excellent company to get started at.

Cons

Projects can have little to no direction. This can take a while to get used to at first, but it is the most effective way to become a better thinker and team member.

Have more learning and training sessions for the intern group. Possibly one large project that requires input from each intern, due at the end of the internship. Place interns close to their direct supervisors.

Loved Working for Terex

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Westport, CT

I worked at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Legal Department
    Good people
    A good corporate environment

Cons

I wished I was not laid off at all during the great recession. I miss being there.

Excellent Opportunities to Learn and Grow

Current Employee - Materials Manager
    Current Employee - Materials Manager

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Terex provides excellent opportunities for people willing to apply themselves and grow their skills. Training is provided by qualified instructors at other Terex plants or in professional/trade school settings in which they cover your tuition for applicable classes. Also have excellent benefits.

Cons

Some branches are affected by the ups and downs of the economy and legislative processes. They acquire many businesses and sometimes sell them, meaning your owner/employer could radically change. Some branches are very political in terms of which people can advance, creating a 'watch your back' type of environment.

Please be more transparent when dealing with switching employee jobs, especially the justifactions for making those changes. Cross-training is an important foundation for the success of Terex, but when not used properly creates an air of favoritism and spite than ruins an otherwise excellent working environment.

Terex is a fantastic place to grow a career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Terex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In first place, THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH!! * Many opportunities for growth *Great benefits *Good pay *Flexible hours *Tuition reimbursement *401K match @100% *Affordable health insurance *Healthy ways activities *Continous training

Cons

Some people don't realize how lucky they are to be working for this company.

Keep doing a great job! I love the messages and communications on the intranet. I am Terex!

Jul 23, 2014Admin

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive impact on your work experience. We value your opinion and the diversity inherent in people’s ... More

Great company.

I have been working at Terex

Pros

Great global opportunities, strong company culture, solid values.

Cons

Business is cyclical and can have extreme ups and downs.

Excellent, rewarding experience.

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership, good values, and overall pleasant working culture. Compensation is fair, and job satisfaction is very high in my experience. Overall I would certainly recommend.

Cons

Some detractors, with negative personalities reducing overall morale. Could improve on "One Terex" culture, which isn't always evident. There's certainly potential for more team building activities to be made available across the entire business.

Jul 23, 2014Admin

My name is Natasha Valani and I work in the Human Resources department at Terex Corporation. First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive ... More