Terex

Terex Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo

Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, supportive culture, full of career opportunities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible company & management

Receptionist (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsIt was a pay check, and I got more experience to put on the resume

ConsI was treated so awful, and I wasn’t the only one. About half of the company is temporary workers, who get promised things and then chopped at the last minute. I had to train my own replacement, no one wants to get to know anyone because the high turn-over, it is a competitive and unprofessional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are human, try treating them that way. Stop putting people on salaries and pushing them to work crazy long hours, stop hiring temps and not giving them benefits, and simply be nice. Say good morning every now and then. To the people at the top and in corporate land, I don’t know how you sleep at night. You people are so greedy and selfish.

Corporate politics at it's worst

Info Tech (Former Employee)

ProsBenifits were ok
    you can make good money if you lack any moral values

ConsPolitics are horrible, management will lie to your face, and the "ethics" reporting will get your position eliminated.

Unorganized with Company-wide Lack of Communication.

Finance/Accounting (Former Employee)

Pros- Compensation/salary was fair.
    - Benefits were decent.

Cons- No communication within and between departments and branches.
    - Lack of training and direction.
    - Reactive instead of being proactive.
    - Lots of "passing the buck" - no one would take responsibility and provide direction/assistance.
    - Long hours and stressful work environment.
    - Lots of internal company politics and finger pointing/gossip.
    - Managers who do not understand their subordinates job duties and don't seem to care.
    - Some activities border on the lines of being unethical/illegal.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove lines of communication and provide more training to new employees. Be more proactive rather than reactive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetence is the requisite for middle management.

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Rock Hill, SC

ProsProducts are great. Location is great. People on the assembly line are great. Most managers are great with the exception of a few. Engineers are easey to work with.

ConsPay stinks, most advanced positions pay entry level at best. Management has got to be the most incompetent group of folks in business. Managers who run multiple plants into the ground get promoted. Those who perform stay put those who don’t perform get promoted. Merit is simply just not recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry learning something and have some accomplishment before you take on a management role. They you would have something to work from. Also, promote from within and recognize those who do and those who waist air. Fire the ones who never produce especially managers. Dead weight pulls everyone down.

Terrorex

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig company with lots of cash. WIll not go out of business and can buy anyone they want. Some good products.

Conscomplete and utter lack of strategy. No benefits package for staff - how can a company this bignot have a pension scheme? Total lack of pay scales - lots of people will leave as soon as they find a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Terex wants to be "the best company in the business to work for" then stop paying lip service and do somethin about it. Lots of good people get poor pay, and lots of idiots get too much pay. Sort the balance!!

Equipment Mfg company focused on Financial games rather that making equipment.

ProsManagement team is open to new ideas that will contribute to bottom line. CEO likes to promote segment autonomy.

ConsAlways looking for a magic solution rather than investing the time to commit to a business strategy and philosophy that goes beyond deeper that "profits now!"

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the methodology employed by your AWP business segment. The pay-off comes from the method and AWP has been applying it for a long time to get where they are and are fully committed.

Aging workforce full of mindless followers of 'the Terex Way' lacking in vision and drive to take it to the next level.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Westport, CT

ProsConvenient, and secure work location with covered parking. In general, the people are nice and the benefits are very good.

ConsCompensation lags the market. The values defined in the Terex Way are followed almost religiously, in cult-like fashion, to the detriment of innovative thought. Not a technology company, Leadership has anointed a leader from finance who served under the new CFO as the new IT leader and CIO - the company is already well behind the times technologically and appointing someone lacking the insights needed to lead the company in this area is not going to advance the organization. Company filled with old, white men - there's limited diversity and women primarily work in an administrative capacity or within HR and the vast majority of employees are over 40. Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company. Have not been very successful in integrating acquisitions to create a unified company with a shared vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your house in order, decide where the company is going; let technology play a more vital role by bringing the company into the 21st century; diversify your workforce, find ways to attract and retain a younger, more vital workforce with fresh ideas. Try to be more than a finance/capital company. AND - Succession Planning, Succession Planning, Succession Planning!

Jul 24, 2014Admin

My name is Natasha Valani and I work in the Human Resources department at Terex Corporation. On behalf of Terex, I would like to apologize for your negative experience at our Westport facility. Your ... More

Ambitious, but rubbish.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsThe business team provide a great number of training programs to use and implement into day-to-day processes. These training programs result in a vast knowledge of lean culture and theory which is highly sought after by other employers.

ConsAs an engineer is little incentive to work harder and improve yourself other than self drive. Terex attempts to standardize everything, including engineering roles and salaries. This results in a group of people with varying educational backgrounds, various career goals, and various work loads all getting compensated the exact same amount which in turn leads to an extremely high turnover rate for the more ambitious and demanding positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people what they are worth.

Jul 24, 2014Admin

My name is Natasha Valani and I work in the Human Resources department at Terex Corporation. On behalf of Terex, I would like to apologize for your negative experience at our Redmond facility. Your ... More

I have made numerous recommendations for improvements however Management thrives on mediocrity!!!

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Moses Lake, WA

ProsFor the area the pay is more than competitive.

ConsThere is no work-life balance as we were hired to work 4-10's but almost always work 5-12's. Training opportunities are limited at our facilty and notices come out so there can not be maximum participation. Management does not listen and act on improvement ideas in a very timely manner. There seems to be a lack of trust between Team Members and management. Also, Terex has what is referred to as "Terex Values", however management specifically doesn't following someting them; they are merely to be used against Team Members.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild trusting relationships with Team Members and truly make an effort to do away with the blame game that happens between the 2 shifts.

Jul 24, 2014Admin

My name is Natasha Valani and I work in the Human Resources department at Terex Corporation. On behalf of Terex, I would like to apologize for your negative experience at our Moses Lake facility ... More

Avoid this Company!

ProsWhen I started HR was a strong at ensuring employee rights and proper work ethics. That ended.

ConsWhen I started a few years ago I had great hopes for a long career here. Now I see it is a dead end job. Any effort to automate processes comes with C-Level question of how many headcount can we reduce. Fear is common due to this attitude. Hearing that we need to document everything we do as a process so it can be outsourced is de-motivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the Terex values. Servant Leadership does work. Dictatorial leadership with no positive feedback does not work, as in telling your team "if you don't like it I can replace you in a week" is not a motivator.

Jul 23, 2014Admin

My name is Natasha Valani and I work in the Human Resources department at Terex Corporation. Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize that your experience with Terex Corporation has turned ... More

Worked for Terex? Contribute to the Community!