Terex

Terex Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo

Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, supportive culture, full of career opportunities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good culture and great people to work with

Mechanical Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities to work cross-functionally and work with some very talented people. There are a lot of people that have worked at Genie for a long time, and a lot of people that leave end up coming back. I think that is a testament to the company culture in Redmond.

ConsThe production teams drive very hard. Often times this creates a lot of turnover in assembly and support teams. Salaries are generally lower than other companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to improve morale and ultimately quality on the shop floor.

Freedom to grow with a risk tolerant culture and admirable view toward work-life balance.

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsOverall positive company culture with driven employees but without the cut-throat atmosphere found in some business cultures. Top down strong attitude of ensuring positive work-life balance.

ConsVery risk tolerant culture lends to many ready, shoot, aim scenarios. Must be comfortable with ambiguity and flexible with change.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the 3-5yr vision for the company & let directors/managers develop plans to support.

Equipment Mfg company focused on Financial games rather that making equipment.

ProsManagement team is open to new ideas that will contribute to bottom line. CEO likes to promote segment autonomy.

ConsAlways looking for a magic solution rather than investing the time to commit to a business strategy and philosophy that goes beyond deeper that "profits now!"

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the methodology employed by your AWP business segment. The pay-off comes from the method and AWP has been applying it for a long time to get where they are and are fully committed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Another holding company to benefit shareholders

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsEmployment is reasonably stable, for permanent employees. They provide competitive health insurance benefits. Education benefits may be provided, but availability depends heavily on the personality of your manager.

ConsLow pay for given job functions. Poor prospects for advancement. The company culture is promoted as outwardly positive, but is backwards and oppressive in practice. Although there is a performance bonus, it is so tiny as to be nearly pointless for non-managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management prides itself on their corporate culture, but at the ground level ambition and innovation are consistently stamped out, and business decisions are made based on uninformed intuition and personality.

Excellent Opportunities to Learn and Grow

Materials Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTerex provides excellent opportunities for people willing to apply themselves and grow their skills. Training is provided by qualified instructors at other Terex plants or in professional/trade school settings in which they cover your tuition for applicable classes. Also have excellent benefits.

ConsSome branches are affected by the ups and downs of the economy and legislative processes. They acquire many businesses and sometimes sell them, meaning your owner/employer could radically change. Some branches are very political in terms of which people can advance, creating a 'watch your back' type of environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more transparent when dealing with switching employee jobs, especially the justifactions for making those changes. Cross-training is an important foundation for the success of Terex, but when not used properly creates an air of favoritism and spite than ruins an otherwise excellent working environment.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe things that make it worth working there are the following,very competitive wages and benefits.Co workers are always willing to lend a hand.

ConsI think there are more pros than cons to this company,but for cons I would say sometimes people more deserving of a promotion dont get it when some that dont work as hard do.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes a bit,your on the right path.

Great company.

ProsGreat global opportunities, strong company culture, solid values.

ConsBusiness is cyclical and can have extreme ups and downs.

Have a better integration training for new engineers

Design Engineer I (Current Employee) Moses Lake, WA

ProsGood management at current location. The people that work here are great, the moral is very high

ConsParking lot sucks. The building is old and the roof leaks. in the office space the central air often goes out so you are either freazing at your desk in the winter or sweating in the summer. Propper software for the job would be nice.

Advice to Senior Managementdesign managers should have a good grasp of the whole system of the machines they are working on not just a specific area. Purchase software for both mechanical engineers and electrical engineers.

Be careful what you wish for

ProsFair pay and mostly nice/intelligent people

ConsSmall company with big company problems. Growth through acquisitions has led to the use of far to many software platforms. Incompetent middle management and no sign of improvement in my department. Very much a live to work environment in accounting/tax, you don't get the same flexibility as others and most people seem OK with that. Lack of preparation for the on-boarding process, didn't really have work for the first few weeks. Corporate in general really struggles to keep quality people globally.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the people in middle management positions clearly lack the leadership skills to manage others. Senior management should do a better job of compensating for this if they insist on employing such people.

Solid company with room to improve

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Westport, CT

ProsGreat health benefits, respect for work-life balance. The co-workers are super friendly for the most part without being too social/unproductive.

ConsCompensation could be improved a bit. It seems like maybe the company is about 5%-10% behind the local market. The company does nothing for recycling or green efforts even though the building is set-up to make that easy. The cafe is boring and small. Gyms at work could be cleaned up a bit and made more modern.

Worked for Terex? Contribute to the Community!