Terex

Updated September 27, 2014
3.7

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to make your mark and be involved (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Company Looking Inward

I have been working at Terex

Pros

There are a lot of chances in Terex to communicate with upper management, and they are very obliging. Everyone is very friendly, and the environment is both lively and professional, with encouragement to live healthily. The company has grown a great deal, and now there is a lot of opportunity for focusing internally to build efficiencies. Ethics are highly valued at Terex, and a major part of discussion.

Cons

There are some inefficiencies in the workplace with delegating tasks across the workforce.

Perhaps to create a forum to share work overload, and to encourage people whose efforts are freed up to assist.

Good culture and great people to work with

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to work cross-functionally and work with some very talented people. There are a lot of people that have worked at Genie for a long time, and a lot of people that leave end up coming back. I think that is a testament to the company culture in Redmond.

Cons

The production teams drive very hard. Often times this creates a lot of turnover in assembly and support teams. Salaries are generally lower than other companies in the area.

Strive to improve morale and ultimately quality on the shop floor.

Freedom to grow with a risk tolerant culture and admirable view toward work-life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Overall positive company culture with driven employees but without the cut-throat atmosphere found in some business cultures. Top down strong attitude of ensuring positive work-life balance.

Cons

Very risk tolerant culture lends to many ready, shoot, aim scenarios. Must be comfortable with ambiguity and flexible with change.

Communicate the 3-5yr vision for the company & let directors/managers develop plans to support.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Opportunities to Learn and Grow

Current Employee - Materials Manager
    Current Employee - Materials Manager

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Terex provides excellent opportunities for people willing to apply themselves and grow their skills. Training is provided by qualified instructors at other Terex plants or in professional/trade school settings in which they cover your tuition for applicable classes. Also have excellent benefits.

Cons

Some branches are affected by the ups and downs of the economy and legislative processes. They acquire many businesses and sometimes sell them, meaning your owner/employer could radically change. Some branches are very political in terms of which people can advance, creating a 'watch your back' type of environment.

Please be more transparent when dealing with switching employee jobs, especially the justifactions for making those changes. Cross-training is an important foundation for the success of Terex, but when not used properly creates an air of favoritism and spite than ruins an otherwise excellent working environment.

Great place to work

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The things that make it worth working there are the following,very competitive wages and benefits.Co workers are always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

I think there are more pros than cons to this company,but for cons I would say sometimes people more deserving of a promotion dont get it when some that dont work as hard do.

Open your eyes a bit,your on the right path.

Terex is a fantastic place to grow a career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Terex full-time for less than a year

Pros

In first place, THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH!! * Many opportunities for growth *Great benefits *Good pay *Flexible hours *Tuition reimbursement *401K match @100% *Affordable health insurance *Healthy ways activities *Continous training

Cons

Some people don't realize how lucky they are to be working for this company.

Keep doing a great job! I love the messages and communications on the intranet. I am Terex!

Terex Response

Jul 23, 2014Admin

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive impact on your work experience. We value your opinion and the diversity inherent in people’s ... More

Great company.

I have been working at Terex

Pros

Great global opportunities, strong company culture, solid values.

Cons

Business is cyclical and can have extreme ups and downs.

Have a better integration training for new engineers

Current Employee - Design Engineer I  in  Moses Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer I in Moses Lake, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time

Pros

Good management at current location. The people that work here are great, the moral is very high

Cons

Parking lot sucks. The building is old and the roof leaks. in the office space the central air often goes out so you are either freazing at your desk in the winter or sweating in the summer. Propper software for the job would be nice.

design managers should have a good grasp of the whole system of the machines they are working on not just a specific area. Purchase software for both mechanical engineers and electrical engineers.

Solid company with room to improve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great health benefits, respect for work-life balance. The co-workers are super friendly for the most part without being too social/unproductive.

Cons

Compensation could be improved a bit. It seems like maybe the company is about 5%-10% behind the local market. The company does nothing for recycling or green efforts even though the building is set-up to make that easy. The cafe is boring and small. Gyms at work could be cleaned up a bit and made more modern.

Equipment Mfg company focused on Financial games rather that making equipment.

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management team is open to new ideas that will contribute to bottom line. CEO likes to promote segment autonomy.

Cons

Always looking for a magic solution rather than investing the time to commit to a business strategy and philosophy that goes beyond deeper that "profits now!"

Look at the methodology employed by your AWP business segment. The pay-off comes from the method and AWP has been applying it for a long time to get where they are and are fully committed.

Worked for Terex? Contribute to the Community!