Terex

Updated September 12, 2014
3.7

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, supportive culture, full of career opportunities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Servant Leadership in Action

Current Employee - Director  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Collegial atmosphere, employees are proud to be part of Terex, politics to a minimum. The CEO is approachable, and pays attention to employee and customer satisfaction. The company promotes and fosters an environment suitable for women with the initiative Women@Terex.
    Special focus on values and doing business ethically. Excellent leadership.

Cons

Having worked in other industries, I find Terex a place to stay for a long time. There is quality of life at Terex.

Ensure that the Terex Way, and Ron's leadership style continues to be the big differentiator in the industry for employees, and customers. We can grow and achieve our goals without ever changing our identity and approach to leadership.

Good life/work balance

I have been working at Terex

Pros

The senior management is very supportive

Cons

Employee benefits are so-so / pay is not good.

Terex is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager  in  Canton, SD
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Canton, SD

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The main perk to working for Terex are the benefits. Specifically, great health/vision/dental, tuition reimbursement, 401(k), ESPP match, etc. Additionally, hard work and extra effort are often acknowledged. Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance. Salary wise, Terex is offers a competitive pay. When you factor in the benefits, it is probably better than other comparable opportunities.

Cons

Terex could do a better job defining career progression. Also, a renewed emphasis on training is needed; both specific to current roles and not specific - to broaden employee capabilities. Terex doesn't offer maturity / paternity paid leave and employees must use vacation time and once that is consumed, unpaid FMLA kicks in.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brighter future ahead

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a great place to grow your career if you love a challenge. The culture is very open to change. People are friendly and easy to work with. If you are improvement minded and a team player there are a lot of opportunities. Senior management is very accessible.

Cons

The numerous geographic locations make it a less convenient to collaborate.

Speed up decisions.

Global organization with small company feel

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many opportunities for those willing to relocate, strong senior leadership team, solid benefits

Cons

There has been a lot of tenure at Terex which speaks to the culture and foundation of the organization. With that said, there is a strong resistance to change. Terex needs to start looking at technology and ways to improve processes as well as attract younger generations to its brand.

Invest in current employees but also invest in future employees...with an open mind for innovative ideas that may be out of the box.

Design Engineer

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Grand Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Grand Rapids, MN

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, work/life balance, compensation is relative to the area.

Cons

Five different managers in the last five years. Disconnect between upper management and local operation. Desire to change things last moment before production starts.

1. Realize who your people are and what exactly they build. We have a niche market, why try to build something that everyone else builds for more money.
    2. Let the factory sell directly to the dealers. Eliminate the factory sells to construction division who sells to dealer model. Are you really keeping costs down by doing this?
    3. Let us be innovative again. We were when you bought us out. Now its just a lets try to build what everyone else builds. There is no added value there.
    4. Don't change things at the last minute just because it looks better on paper. Put someone in the seat and let them drive it. Our machines can do what others can't. Word of mouth sells more machines than does rental houses.

Fast paced with lots of opportunity

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large corporation with strong processes in place. Recognized as best equipment in the industry. Nice to work from a position of buying in large quantity. Allows for expanded design opportunities

Cons

Fast paced, sometimes hard to keep up. Keeping up with the needs of Sales, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Customer support can be challenging if understaffed. Facility fluctuated often between under staffed, and over staffed.

Management stream too long. Local managements input should receive more weight. Trying to manage a facility on the East coast, from a facility on the West coast is a challenge. Completely different work force and mindset. Completely different set of tools available to work with from one facility to the next.

senior accountant

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good processes around lean management, office had a team environment

Cons

Headquarters staff not in line with operations

town hall meetings are great at Redmond, keep in touch with the team, and keep building the team don't turn away from that concept.

Great 8 years with this company, has ups and downs but overall its great

Current Employee - PCC  in  Moses Lake, WA
    Current Employee - PCC in Moses Lake, WA

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

lots of overtime, benefits, stock options

Cons

overtime not optional, requesting vacation in some areas is difficult

n/a

Love working here!!!

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Westport, CT

I have been working at Terex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and wonderful atmosphere. Terex provides a culture which promotes a healthy work life balance. Employees of all levels are treated as equals.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. Terex offers a lot of growth opportunities and does a great job in managing talent within.

Worked for Terex? Contribute to the Community!