Terminix

www.terminix.com
  www.terminix.com

Terminix Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Robert Gillette

Pros
  • Pay is good, benefits are good, truck is provided and you get to take it home (in 9 reviews)

• They are very passionate about pest control services (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - this can be especially challanging during termite season (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours; high expectations; lots of changes (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good leaning experience.

Current Employee - OSP in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - OSP in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn about bugs and everything associated with them. Good benefits, fun work environment sometimes. For a sales position they have a lot of different products and services that can be offered.

Cons

Money, They don't care how many miles you driven in your personal car, or how many hours you have worked. Terminix seams like they don't really care about the customer once they have got them signed up for service.

There branch managers are a waste of a position in the company.

Better sales jobs out there.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orange, CA

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work outside every day. Meet great people doing in home inspections. No pay max for commission. Mandatory Saturday work.

Cons

Draw against commission. Not properly compensated for vehicle or gas, use your own personal vehicle, lots of miles driven. They don't care because it isn't something they pay for. No overtime pay, lots of overtime hours. Recruiter promises newly hired employees large pay days and no overtime, most newly hired employees work for 2 months before they see that this is not true and quit.

Care about current employees, not care so much about getting new employees.

Worst Job ever.

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Terminix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training, but after that all went down hill.

Cons

Promise leads after training, only got 7 in a month. Long hours and working 6 days a week.

Better pay once your out of training. Stop having meetings all the time.

Another dissatisfied terminix employee

Former Employee - Termite Inspector in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Termite Inspector in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Terminix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being the largest pest control company in the world you do have access to nice equipment as a technician and never a shortage of products but that's about it... Read the cons. I worked at both the Santa fe springs and covina California branches.

Cons

lies. Both to employees and customers
       A) employees aren't given the chance to move up the ladder instead in the 2 years I was there I saw them managers 4 times. 2 of them were atrocious, one was a recently graduated school teacher with a major attitude the other an ex marine jerk with serious issues. The only one good manager quit because he didn't want to be part of this organization
    B) new customers are duped into passing close to $400 a year for an "all encompassing" guarantee known as tipp. The little catch is that it doesn't cover the most common type of termites that is drywood and so if you need a tent or there is damage it's all on you

I really hate ranting so I'll stop here but these are but a few examples of what you can expect at terminix.

Oh wait I shouldn't end my review without being fair.

The only ones that do make decent money are either pest control technicians with a decent route or dishonest sales men. Anyone else is bound to be disappointed

Care about customer service more than the dollars

Come to TERMINIX for the training and license.... Then GET OUT!

Current Employee - Sales Inspector in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Inspector in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to be introduced to the pest control industry.
    If you like sales, you will enjoy being a sales inspector.

TIP: Don't listen to any sales advice you get from management. Just befriend the top sales
    people and learn from them. Most sales managers don't know anything about selling
    termite services.
    TIP: Learn everything you can and make contacts outside of Terminix.
    TIP: Develop your own lead sources. Don't become dependent on the leads you
    will receive from managers. Since lead flow will keep decreasing with the amount of
    sales inspectors they keep hiring.

Cons

REINSPECTIONS. Currently there is a lawsuit involving sales people (who work 100% on commission) being required to do inspections for current customers. Terminix calls these sales leads since Terminix offers so many services, they are bound to need one.
    But in order to do a complete inspection you can be in someones home for 2 hours and the REINSPECTION fee you get is $10! (This is NOT a joke).
    You also pay for your own gas.
    LEADS GO TO WHOEVER THE MANAGERS WANT: The TOP sales people in the company will be the sales people who have a high income areas and who are constantly receiving those leads.
    LEADS that are assigned to you can be re-assigned to another inspector AT WILL.
    They are supposed to be using sales closing % as the qualifier for receiving leads, but with several sales managers trying to load up their own sales people with the leads, you might go weeks without any leads!
    But you'll NEVER run out of REINSPECTIONS!
    SHADY MANAGEMENT PRACTICES: Sometimes customers you have quoted will call the main Terminix number to schedule the work. Instead of these sales coming back to you. They go to the managers. And if your direct manager did not receive the message, whoever got the message will assign the sale (sign up) to what ever sales person they want... it wont be you.
    I've seen a manager try to steal the commission for a large $40,000 job. He still works there but the sales person doesn't.

Support the current sales people instead trying to hire a constant wave of new recruits.
    This only stretches out the leads and no one makes any money.
    THE ONLY HIRING YOU SHOULD BE DOING: Is hiring RE-inspectors. Inspectors who's job is to reinspect current customers homes (like most termite companies have).

Change

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Terminix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, helped to pass state pest control exam. Good support system. Very customer oriented.
    Potential promotion to management. Management training program excellent.

Cons

Required many unpaid hours for solicitations. Work week at 60+ hours. Change buisness model to sell a program or policy instead of a service which cut commissions by half. Field reps compensation is strictly commission against draw so change was dramatic.

Go back to selling a service instead of selling a policy.

Working at Terminix helped me when I couldn't find another job, but I left as soon as I could.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Professional (Termite Inspector) in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Terminix

Pros

Terminix puts their termite inspectors through an excellent training program. You are more likely to get hired at other termite and pest control companies if you have worked at Terminix because they know you had good training and come from the biggest company around.

Cons

To begin with, I'll tell you that I worked somewhere in Southern California. I don't know what this job is like in other parts of the country, but this is some of my experience at Terminix. We were treated like children. To say we were micro-managed would be an understatement. We were forced to work at least two Saturdays a month, and come back to the office for three hours- two nights a week to make phone calls to fill our schedule. Very long hours with NO OVERTIME. Horrible benefits. We had to use our own vehicles and our own money on gas. We were given a 2% "car allowance" commission on anything we sold, but the problem is that you don't always sell something. So you end up tearing your vehicle up for Terminix and don't get anything near what is fair for this. Being a termite inspector is a tough job that can be dangerous. I am not one of these negative, angry people that post on here. Like I wrote in the headline, I am grateful that this job came along when it did. But it is not the kind of place where you can make a career. If you take a job here, get ready for a lot of work with little pay. Make the best of it, stay positive, and try to move on as soon as you can. Good luck.

Do the right thing and treat your termite inspectors with respect and consideration. Cut out this "draw on commission" nonsense, and guarantee them a decent base salary, pay them overtime when they work over eight hours a day, and pay what is right for their car usage and gas.

Terminix Photos