Terminix

Terminix Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Robert Gillette

Pros
  • Pay is good, benefits are good, truck is provided and you get to take it home (in 9 reviews)

• They are very passionate about pest control services (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - this can be especially challanging during termite season (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours; high expectations; lots of changes (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

would not do it again

Current Employee - Pest Control Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pest Control Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the pay is good if you have a good route. They have great benefits and you get to take home your truck.

Cons

the compensation pay plan is not a good plan. You get money taken away from you when customers cancel whether it is your fault or not. The work home ratio is very unbalanced. Lot of time at work and not enough with family.your schedule changes at the drop of a hat so you never know when you're getting off and it makes it impossible to plan anything for your personal life

find a better compensation plan for technician

Overworked, but well worth it.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are decent. You can get alot of overtime during the busy season and my personal supervisor is great. They do raffles and prizes when theres mandatory OT... The managers are not the worst but then again not the best. They recognize employees when they are doing well and encourage a positive environment.

Cons

Considering that you are talking to customers nonstop, i dont feel the compensation/pay is enough. Very stressfull and possibly even detrimental to our health. If you cant handle being yelled at most of the day, this job is not for you. The trainers should also have expierience taking calls, they train straight out of a huge book and the trainers have never even taken calls! They train you on ALOT of things, but the problem is the trainers dont know what situations you encounter most commonly, so they teach you alot of things you dont use, and you end up training yourself when you get put on the phones. The training is terrible. The trainers are nice but dont have enough expierence on the phone in order to share what you'll be expecting.

Consider increasing the hourly wage, you would retain more employees . Also the program/software we use is serverly outdated. invest in a more user-friendly program and you wouldnt have to train people for a full month. even after a full month of training, most of the things you learn are when you get put out on the floor. Hire trainers who have actually been on the phone!

Okay.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Terminix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was lacking. Loved the people I worked with in the office. Was constantly busy, there was always something to do. My supervisor understood there was life outside of work. Good benefits.

Cons

Promotions were almost nonexistent, only opportunity to move up in the company was if someone above you was fired/quit. Raises given were around $.50 for every year, which was not nearly enough for the amount of work load you were required to do. Not enough time in the day to finish tasks that were expected to be done, unless you did them sloppily just to show they were completed, which then you had to go back and do over to show better quality. People hired after you that you had to train to do a simpler job, were started at a higher hourly pay than you, and management said there was nothing they could do about it.

Compensate your employees better for the jobs that they do. Stop making people do 3 different job titles for $10/hr, and then hire people for them to train at a higher wage.

The company has a bright future ahead.

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are pretty good. The employees are treated fairly and given a lot of training, even annually to ensure everyone is current on industry changes. Management has a vision that will lead us to a good future, but there is some stumbling along the way, as noted below. The company invests a lot of money to provide new vehicles and technology making our jobs easier and enhancing our communication with our customers. The company wants to be more than just a pest control company and be in the ranks of the Fortune 100.

Cons

The company changes a lot to try to remain the leader in the industry. If you are uncomfortable with a lot of change, then it can be challenging. Also, there seems to be a lack of communication about everyone's roles with the new changes and it takes a while to get everyone on the same page. I can see where the changes are heading and they should all work out in the end, but there are pieces in the puzzle that are missing to make it a tight running operation right now.

When changes are made or when new processes are put in place, don't just send a mass email. Create a master SOP that is required to be present in all locations so every location in every state is on the same page. Also, send the CSRs in the contact centers for at least one day of field ride-alongs so they can see what we do. I think this will give them a greater appreciation and understanding of what we do as a company.

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Technician in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Technician in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Will open doors and direct training

Cons

Profit driven results sometimes more important than service

Better Customer Service

Great company if you can find good managers to work for.

Current Employee - Pest Control Service Technician in Muscle Shoals, AL
    Current Employee - Pest Control Service Technician in Muscle Shoals, AL

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent benefits, OK pay. good work life balance.

Cons

No room to grow. If you want to promote from within, be prepared to move in you region, hard to relocate outside your region.

Hard to promote, must be willing to move all the time.... needs a better pay scale.

Be prepared to cover you costs of sales!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Person in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Person in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are friendly, work as an OSP is interesting in that you meet new people all the time. These relationships have all been positive.

Cons

You must provide you own vehicle and carry your cost of gas for 60 days as well as insurance and maintenance...which you absorb totally. This is worth about $800 a month in costs to you. Pay is regular, but you are paid in arrears, usually 60 days after you have earned it for the company. Gas is reimbursed at 2% of your prior month's sales. Though the company is very technology oriented, the management sill follows the last generation of sales follow up...everyone must physically meet their manager each morning. All the information the manager needs is available on the computer which is carried by the manager. Even the GPS location of the OSP. (Outside Sales Person) Upper Management does not know how to use the technology, sad! Some OSP's are tasked to run termite letters, which only pay $10, but that is in 60 days. The cost of these letters to the OSP is about $50 in gas, vehicle costs and time preparing them. The company charges $85 to $150, half of any cost should go to OSP. This should be strictly a MANAGER's job. Managers have gas cards and company vehicle and are a salary plus an annual bonus.

Managers at Regional level down should spend one day a month following up on actual leads, always using the hand held computer provided. This consistent training would help the organization understand the flaws in their service delivery and costs associated with them. Updating the software would save thousands daily, if it did not require redundant input of the same information on a customer. Restructuring the pay scale would eliminate the 70% turn over of OSP. Commission of all deals financed and credit card collected, should be paid twice a month. The standard $200 allowed for gas should be doubled to meet the increased costs of gas over the years and it should be paid bi monthly, just as commissions.

A common that takes care of its people

Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Terminix rewards performance...pest control is a multi-billion dollar industry that most do not consider as a career path.

Cons

With poor planning your work day can become long, but the rewards are great. I do not find much negative about a career with Terminix.

Rewarding

Current Employee - Pest Control Technician in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Pest Control Technician in Paducah, KY

I have been working at Terminix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The money is good with options to work harder to increase your base salary

Cons

Leadership leaves something to be desired at the branch level

management at branch level leaves something to be desired

loved job & coworkers but administration/job stability was constantly in change.

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Terminix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my Terminix family.

Cons

I was continually concerned that my position was at risk due to continued corporate changes.

As I have found with other companies it is best to maintain "divisions" rather than attempting to train employee to be a "Jack of all trades & master at none."

Terminix Photos