Terminix Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.7

Robert Gillette

Pros
  • The company wants to be more than just a pest control company and be in the ranks of the Fortune 100 (in 11 reviews)

• Good Place to work; good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - this can be especially challanging during termite season (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours; high expectations; lots of changes (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It's not all bad.

Current Employee - Pest Control Technician
    Current Employee - Pest Control Technician

I have been working at Terminix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been with the company for 14 years minus a short 6 month period where I thought I would see if the grass was greener on the other side. By the way, IT'S NOT. I have been in several positions while employed here. I started off as a termite inspector, then pest control, then sales, left the company, and thank God the hired me back as a pest control tech again. The job is fairly easy minus the bad weather enviroment sometimes but always challenging.

Cons

Managment worries about the numbers way to much and forgets why we do what we do. They do not like when you need vacation time at all weather you are on target to finish your route or not.

Start caring about your employees family life and stop being so negative. You might see a dramatic change in the overall success of your branch by just showing you care.

Not good.

I worked at Terminix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Starbucks in the office. Leadership parking.

Cons

Unobtainable processes. Lake of unity from uppermanagement and peers.

What happened to " honor God in all we do"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Terminix full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has a good product and valuable service. With the right direction and leadership it could be a leader in the industry.

Cons

Terminix is still living in the past and can't stick to a path for more than 6 months. In my two plus years we have changed direction three times and the. wonder why we are in the same starting spot as before.

Sell the company to someone who wants to be in pest control.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Phenomenal Company

Current Employee - Terminix Inside Sales Representative  in  Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Terminix Inside Sales Representative in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Terminix full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay, the people, and the supervisors. You will find that once you work your butt off and get promoted to the Inside Sales Team that you will make upwards of $2300-$3500 a month in the summer. Amazing extra cash.

Cons

Sales isn't for everyone! A lot of sticking to the script is required when fluidity of wording is far more engaging to ensure a sale. Stop thinking about the numbers and think about the delivery. Sales isn't hard-selling anymore - it's service!

Get a more fair metric system.

Melbourne Florida worst branch in Terminix
    Worst three years of my life

Former Employee - Service Tech  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Service Tech in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Terminix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You learn how to steal from the customer. This is helpful if you want to start your own company and maximize profit.

Cons

The office doesn't have proper equipment. Backpacks leak chemical all over workers on a daily basis. The trucks were falling apart and they wouldn't buy new ones. The company requires you to power spray houses but we used broken back packs cause the power sprayers didn't work. You weren't given the chemical you needed to do the job. You would have to beg for chemical and most good techs bought their own chemical. If you called out sick you were threatened you'd lose your job. Management made improper comments on a daily basis (some sexual, some just unethical).
    The culture of the branch was pretty much "shut up or leave." If you complained about mistreatment you would be targeted and fired for violations you didn't commit. When I first started working there other employees that had been there for 10 years plus gave me some advice. They said "if you have a problem don't complain or they'll get rid of you" The managers would take accounts on your routes that canceled due to expired credit cards. Resale the accounts as new accounts and make the employee eat the charge back for the commission. If you had a payroll discrepancy the managers would not help you to fix it. Technicians were constantly buying their own back packs cause the service manager wouldn't buy equipment. The service manager would go to a local mechanic (for pest control trucks) and take the chemical tanks and power sprayers that other companies threw in the trash. He would attempt to fix them and put them on the trucks. After they broke again they would hand you a broken back pack as a replacement. The manager would take broken trucks all around town shopping for the cheapest mechanic (who also would be ok with not fixing all of the problems even if unsafe).

Give the employees the chemical and equipment to do the job properly. Stop worrying about your bonus and focus on quality service and employee needs. That branch ran chaotic cause nobody had what they needed. I've talked to a few current employees four or five months ago and they said it's still the same. I now work for a different company and it's like day and night. Also don't make up fake write ups on good employees cause you don't like them personally or you need to lose an employee cause of budgets. Too many people got fired for fake offenses. Also, use the right amount of chemical the first time. So the employee doesn't have to make 6 trips to a house for call backs. When he could have did the job right the first time. The branch is a business, people pay for good service. You shouldn't refuse employees the chemicals they need so you get a larger bonus. You shouldn't sell accounts that owe Terminix unpaid money to increase your sales numbers. Also, you shouldn't fire people then make up an offense and fight them on their unemployment and brag about it to other employees. The employees at that branch were miserable and hated the management. They saw them as lazy fossils who just wanted to do the least amount of work but expect a good bonus. I left a few years back and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I felt human again and realized what it was like to be treated with dignity and respect.

Good Pay.

Current Employee - Pest Control Technician  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Pest Control Technician in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Terminix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are good, truck is provided and you get to take it home. Easy work, mostly.

Cons

Company is constantly changing, new rules are always being applied. Expectations are high. Long hours. All they care about are the numbers, not your efforts.

You will be under a fine comb as a manager. Constant phone calls and field managers breathing down your neck about numbers.

I learned a lot with my career

Former Employee - Region Manager  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Region Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Terminix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fair, growth opportunities, good pay, great 401K match

Cons

Long hours, not always good work/life balance, unrealistic expectations at certain times of year. Poor IT systems.

Work smart and ethically

Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Terminix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Place to work; good benefits

Cons

Long hours; high expectations; lots of changes

I enjoyed it, just need more money

Former Employee - Route Sales  in  Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Route Sales in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Terminix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I liked the freedom, as long as I got my route run and sales quota met they let me pretty well run the route the way I wanted.

Cons

I just got tired of crawling houses and going into 125 degree attics.

Listen more to employees.

Horrible, horrible experience.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Terminix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is $13 an hour, non negotiable take it or leave it.

Cons

overworked, management fires you for any and everything. Better not get sick or have a seizure in there with no sick time available ..you can kiss your desk goodbye.

The supervisors no nothing, they walk around with silly faces that scream "I hate my job so im going to make this a living h e double hockey sticks for others.

Worked for Terminix? Contribute to the Community!