TerraCycle

Amazing Internship Experience

Former Employee - Social Media in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Social Media in Trenton, NJ

I worked at TerraCycle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Assignments actually got me involved in the marketing aspect of social media. I felt like I actually contributed to the company by the time I left, which doesn't happen much at internships most places. They work around your class schedule so you put in what you can each week. If that's only 2 hours one day but 5 the next, you do what you can. I averaged 15 hours a week. Other interns varied. Some where closer to 10 or 12, and some were around 20.

The team was very flexible with some serious personal situations that came up, but when I came back to work it was easy to jump back in. Great coworkers, super friendly environment, and they really practice what they preach here. Also the free lunch was always good! Total bonus for any college kid.

Cons

Unpaid. But to be honest it was a great experience so I didn't mind that much. I had another paid job alongside school and this internship so that helped, even if it was stressful sometimes!

Communicate with interns and keep them busy! They want to work and learn. :) Show them the ropes and pass off what you can for them to tackle, and see how it goes.

Wonderful!

Former Employee - Social Media Intern in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Social Media Intern in Trenton, NJ

I worked at TerraCycle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture was definitely a plus! You will definitely learn how to work in a face-paced environment! And you will definitely learn how to organize some chaos! Lots of hands-on experience of interns, none of the "getting coffee" stuff. At least once a week, there were upper level staffers that held "intern lunches" that reviewed what they did. It was more related the company and less general stuff (super interesting). I definitely learned a lot and was able to network with a variety of people.

Cons

Interns do not get paid! The wifi was not working for part of the time that I was there, and most of the work that had to be done required the internet.

Cool corporate environment, very friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at TerraCycle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are friendly, nice, and seem to all be friends out of work
    Diversity in ages of employees
    Well-known, cool company
    Interesting business model
    Passionate and strong values
    Potential career opportunities

Cons

Interns unpaid
    Slightly unorganized
    Monotonous work

Give interns more concrete assignments/deadlines to maintain motivation. Maybe offer more perks since they are unpaid.

PR Intern - Great Experience

Former Employee - PR Intern in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - PR Intern in Trenton, NJ

I worked at TerraCycle as an intern

Pros

Really great internship experience. Full time employees really engage and teach the interns. You perform "real" job duties and really strengthen your skills and learn a lot.

Cons

One con would be that the heat was broken in the winter. It was freezing everyday and we wore our winter jackets and still could not get warm. One other con is that it is difficult to find a parking spot.

Great place to intern, especially if you're balancing with college studies

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Intern
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Intern

I have been working at TerraCycle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture is relaxed, workers are very friendly with each other, funny young crowd.
    Niche industry creates a positive vibe all around.
    Managers give interns a crack at many different activities.
    Clear direction on projects, any confusion could easily be ironed out since there is no bureaucracy.
    Catered lunch every day.

Cons

It seemed like I was just there as a body on some days. Many times I felt there were tasks where I didn't really learn anything (which is a case for many internships, of course) when I feel I could have contributed.

Keep doing what you are doing, but try to give interns more opportunities to potentially get hired full-time.

Fun working environment/culture, learned a lot

Former Employee - Operations and Logistics in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations and Logistics in Trenton, NJ

I worked at TerraCycle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an early college internship, I learned a lot about waste management and business logistics. TC was very flexible with work hours/days. Fun work environment, smart energetic youthful people, nerf wars, robust intern community

Cons

Unpaid internships in 2011, some of the projects during my internship were busy-work or glorified manual labor... overall, I did learn a good bit and enjoyed my time at TC. I don't really think there was much room for employment.

Interesting, unique company to work for

Former Employee - Intern in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Trenton, NJ

I worked at TerraCycle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Unique, lively coworkers, people were all around 25-45 years old, casual dress code, upper management worked with everything

Cons

Unpaid internships made it seem like they were using desperate college kids for free to do the grunt work, everyone was rather busy with tons of tasks, short staffed in all departments, constantly expanding to different countries yet not the teams/personnel

Pay the interns, hire the interns, Expand the team in the US branch before opening an office in a new country. The HQ should have the most.

A great company that has a bright future.

I worked at TerraCycle as an intern

Pros

People are incredibly nice and intelligent, culture is relaxed but fast paced, overall a really great experience

Cons

I was only an intern here, but it seemed like everyone worked long hours (or the people in my department at least).

Management should continue to do what they're doing. It seems like TerraCycle will go to amazing places.

Innovative

I worked at TerraCycle

Pros

Create environment, collaborative, sharp focus

Cons

Commuting is a slight challenge

Operations Intern

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at TerraCycle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing and everyone is friendly. They also gave me the freedom to work on other projects. From the finance sector to the business development sector, they gave interns freedom.

Cons

They are too linient on interns. Spent a total of two weeks doing nothing. Supervisor would give me work that I would complete within hours.

TerraCycle Photos