Terracon

Be The First To
Add Photos

Terracon President and CEO David Gaboury

David Gaboury

Pros:
  • "Really good benefits and vacation days considering the rest of the construction industry"
    in 5 reviews
  • "100% employee owned and very safety conscious"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "If the office manager and environmental department manager left, this would be a much better office"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The office manager advertised for an environmental department manager"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Generally a good place to work

Geotechnical Field Engineer (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Terracon full-time for less than a year

ProsA big company with projects nationwide, offers you a company truck. Generally I think its a good place to start your career.

ConsNot sure, since I stayed there too short

Low Grade Firm Focused on Turn and Burn work

I have been working at Terracon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady work...same all the time

ConsLittle exposure to high caliber work. Firm does not focus core services on highly technical or large contract services. Look for other larger firms that will have good growth models and likely expose you to a higher diversification of services.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy and learn leadership models. Learn how to train and develop a great place to work. The team is only as great as the leader allows and many in leadership are disgruntled.

Look closer

I have been working at Terracon

ProsBenefits, people in the office, company trucks, free coffee everyday, and not required to provide your own office supplies.

ConsNo room for growth among the different groups. People in management love working there, and never leave. Even if they under perform. Difference between Terracon and every other consultant out is, other consultants do a better job of communication With their employees. At Terracon there is no open door policy. No one will help you along with what is expected of you. Not a place of you are just starting out. Terracon communicates by sending you a letter saying you have been laid off, but it's not your fault it was your mangers. Managers have to bring in work for the younger staff and keep themselves busy, but make sure your Terracon manager is good with marketing. In most cases they are not. So you are forced to find work yourself, hay wait but they tell you constantly it is not your job to find work. Funny how that works.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook, get better at keeping your younger staff busy. Managers should have one job and that would be keeping them busy. Open up the lines of communication. Don't leave your staff wonder what happened. Take a more proactive role in developing younger staff.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee owned company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Terracon full-time

ProsEmployees that worked hard gets rewarded.

ConsManagers asked for feedback from employees but nothing was done about it.

Good place to work

I have been working at Terracon

ProsTerracon is a good place to work. Interesting assignments and projects. Good benefits. Employee owned. Good career advancement for those willing to take on the challenges They keep growing. Know how to make a profit. Bonuses and pay are pretty good. Lot more pros at this company than cons.

ConsDeadlines and project workload sometimes means too much work time and not enough play time. This usually happens during the summer months when I want to be playing more and working less.

Advice to Senior ManagementIgnore all advice posted on this website - except my advice of course. :)

A typical consulting mill

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Terracon full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you need a job and can't find one anywhere else, this beats unemployment and living on the streets The pay is low, the hours are long, the compensation stinks. And your bonus? HA!

Consyou are a minion to be used by the office manager and when you quit producing, you will be turned out to the street.

The management is cheap. I was in a meeting where there were 20 staff members attending. The discussion turned to having safety meetings for the drill crew. Because they were working, the manager didn't want to bring them in from the field for the meeting. The managers discussed having it on a Saturday, because that was when they weren't working. And then they discussed having the wives attend, so that the impact would sink in. In total, they wasted nearly an hour (that would be 20 non-billable hours discussing having safety meetings for guys that would be fired for not making their quotas.

It is the worst company I ever worked for and I rue the day I accepted a job offer from them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys should quit focusing on your bonuses and focus on business development

Dreadful place to work - The Lords and the Serfs.

I have been working at Terracon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly stable place to work--growing. Conservative and can be counted on to not change hours or location.

ConsA kingdom of the Have's (the Principals) and the Have-nots (pee ons/everyone else.) Culture is very much geared for the greed of the Have's of the company. Management at the corporate office is ever looking to make it a sweatshop environment. When you have a boss that has less experience, education, and frankly, less talent...it is time to move on. Sanctimonious "leadership" that is OUT OF TOUCH with reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new job.

Pros and cons of working for a big company

Staff Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Terracon full-time

ProsGreat resources, growing company, upper management seem like good people

ConsCan feel like "a number", growth and production are pushed, compensation

Not A Career

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Terracon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good place to start to learn the basics. You will learn a lot from people in the industry all over the country. Benefits are ok.

ConsThey have short-sighted market focus and seem to only care about this quarter's stock price. Long-term relationships with clients and employees are not valued. They will give you more responsibility without money.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe accounting system is a useful tool, but is often used to beat up good employees and it generally forces managers to use the least experienced employees to complete projects. Show some respect to your field guys, they're not a commodity.

I'm maxxed out.

Omaha, NE

I have been working at Terracon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsReally good benefits and vacation days considering the rest of the construction industry.
Low level personnel have chances to earn certifications and advance to a certain level.
When the economy tanked in 2008,corporate was fair on changes. All personnel had wages frozen. Hourly employees had pay raises first (after 2 years), salaried 6 months later. Cuts were required across the board for all divisions.

ConsIf you are hourly, you only work when billable, which means that during winter months you sit while construction work dwindles.End up using all of your vacation time just trying to maintain 40 hours a week.
Field personnel max out on advancement and raises in a few years.No advancement opportunities without an engineering degree.
During summer hours, work 70+ hours a week, weekends not optional.
In the offices I have worked out of, the bosses have bad interpersonal skills and no strategic outlook.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance from within, give us a career path.Quit playing favorites (field offices)

Worked for Terracon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Terracon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Terracon CEO David Gaboury. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Terracon employees.