Terrapinn Reviews

94 reviews filtered by
3.2
Terrapinn Group CEO Greg Hitchen
Greg Hitchen

Pros
  • Opportunity to travel abroad and work with 5 star venues (in 6 reviews)

• Good learning ground for fresh graduates (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management (not referring to NYC management) has cultivated a culture of micro-management (in 12 reviews)

• high turnover rate, if you stay here longer than a year, that's considered long (in 8 reviews)

1. Great experience, learned so much about business/marketing/sales and the industry I worked in.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn

Pros

the people, location of the office, ping pong, opportunity to learn about a variety of industries and interact with many different kinds of people. Chance to be trained by highly successful managers, skills you will use the rest of your life . Opportunity to earn huge commissions. Chance to travel around the country to a variety of different conferences. Company camaraderie.

Cons

The company likes you to do it 'there way', little flexibility.
    Lots of cold calling and rejection.

Management is doing a great job. Company is growing and is definitely on the upswing.

Nothing but good things to say about the management at Terrapinn.. Great leaders with a concrete vision about where they want the company to be in a few years time. They will get there.

One suggestion..... mind mapping does not work for everyone.

2. Terrapinn will never say "No" to a new idea!

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn

Pros

I have worked at Terrapinn for close to 3 years. Terrapinn is a great company for those looking to start their careers at somewhere with ample opportunities for progression, constant support of senior management and fantastic training & development. Despite having little marketing experience coming out of University, I quickly developed skills in all forms of marketing: direct, indirect and digital. I was also given responsibility for my own projects from day one, of course with a lot of guidance from my Manager. This was important to my personal growth as it gave me the chance to take the lead and demonstrate my skills. In terms of progression, there is a clear path within marketing to work towards. With a company policy of promoting internally, if you are willing to work hard, take on the advice of senior management and also take ownership over your projects, then career progression is quick. For example, in the first year most Marketing Executives are promoted to Marketing Managers.

For me, Terrapinn's company values suit my style of working. They promote team work above all else and actively work to ensure everyone feels integrated and valued. Having first moved to London to work for Terrapinn and then again to New York, the friendly atmosphere within the company made it easy to settle in new cities.

As a company with a young workforce, there is an atmosphere of creativity and innovation. In marketing, this is particularly beneficial as the Marketing industry is forever changing. Terrapinn will never say "No" to a new idea! The leadership team at Terrapinn, both in the UK and the US, encourage new ideas and are constantly innovating themselves.

The New York office has seen a lot of change in 2014. 2015 is a really exciting year and it is great to be a part of something that is making waves within the industry.

Cons

Training within Terrapinn varies. It varies in quality in accordance with whom your manager is. Making your mark within the company is easier if you are given a project that has a history of being successful, as it is easier to grow a product with a good reputation.

Spend more time as a management team developing a more comprehensive training/ induction program across the various roles and make sure that the program is more effectively communicated to staff.

Major changes could also be implemented more smoothly, preventing duplication of work and wasting time!

3. Disorganized and unprofessional at times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are able to travel depending on your involvement with the event. Most of the people are nice. If any given event is lacking attendees cod calling sucks, depending on your role you have to call about 100-200 people per day, it feels like your just a robot.

Cons

Management when under stress are very unprofessional and they release stress with their team. Barely room for growth and the pay is very low not competitive at all specially for starting salary.

Adapt to current times and manage people beter.

Great people, good management and ample opportunities if you're willing to work hard

Current Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Conference Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Terrapinn for close to a year in a production role. It started out pretty rough, mainly because I had NO idea what I was doing. I had no experience in the conference industry, and there was certainly a steep learning curve.

Although I struggled a bit at first, management is terrific and REALLY helped me develop in my role. I like that they actually welcome mistakes, as long as they are constructive mistakes that you can learn and grow from (god knows I made a lot of them). In less than a year's time, I progressed from being utterly clueless with zero experience in the industry to becoming a knowledgeable, confident and successful producer with multiple top-notch events under my belt.

I've also been a part of a not-so-good event, which, although not fun to be a part of, is a learning experience in itself. By seeing where I failed the first time, I was able to avoid the same mistakes in subsequent events. Now, I have pulled off consecutive top-notch events, developed some great relationships with industry leaders, and have a thorough understanding of the ins and outs of event production.

I've experienced a tremendous amount of personal and professional growth at Terrapinn, more than any other time in my life. Most of this is due to having really great people around me, but also working in an environment that affords you the flexibility to make mistakes, experiment, learn, grow and really take ownership of the events that you're working on. I can't speak for everyone, but I really feel like I'm part of a team that's building something great.

The office is filled with really awesome people from all over the world. I'm happy to call quite a few of them my good friends now.

Cons

I would say it's definitely a sink or swim type of environment. If you can't sell, or don't deliver results, you won't last. Too often, people that quit or are fired tend to point the finger at other people. Sometimes you're put in a difficult situation, maybe even an unfair situation, but you have to be willing to take ownership of your projects and bust your butt. If you do, then you will get the recognition you deserve. There's no substitute for hard work.

Salary is largely dependent on the profile of the events you're working on. Some events are MUCH more profitable than others. But just because you get put on a "less-than-profitable" event doesn't mean you can't make it profitable if you put forth the effort.

You're on the right track. The office is really turning around and moving in the right direction. The right people seem to be in place and I think there are big things to come in 2015 and beyond. Just make sure you reward the people that deserve it and keep using positive reinforcement to keep morale high. It seems like a lot of the sales people can get really down on themselves if they're going through a rough patch.

The phone time thing is way overrated in my opinion. Quality of phone calls, not quantity, should be emphasized. Just my two cents.

6. Good company. Good people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in Terrapinn's New York office for over 5 years and really enjoyed my time. Over the years I gained some valuable experience and made good friends. The events industry isn't easy so only hard work will bring success. The opportunities for travel and personal growth are very good.

Cons

Working on launch events can be difficult so make sure all the project team is focused on what has to be done.

Focus more on sales training for less experienced people.

The Managing Director and his minions

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people- there are many hard working individuals in the office. Great learning experience in terms of dealing with senior-level executives. Travel is always awesome and a great way to see the world.

Cons

Our managing director has his favorites. All of his favorite ping-pong buddies (all men, by the way) received promotions and salary hikes, and all the capable ladies of the office have been fired. The truth is the MD doesn't know how to deal with women. He is also does not lead by example. His first event as MD in Washington DC, he showed up late and smelling heavily of alcohol on the second day. He should lead by example

Have a system of checks and balances, so that personal biases are filtered. Hire someone with a track record to be MD- more than just a figure head. Our current MD has hardly produced or sold in the past 5 years, and always cites experiences in London, not the Americas Market. Lead by example. Treat employees fairly.

Great place to work... If you're willing to work...

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Terrapinn for 7 1/2 years and my biggest take away from my time here is that IF YOU COME TO WORK AND ACTUALLY WORK.... YOU GET REWARDED.... Quite the concept huh....?

Now like every other company there is some turnover... However the new managing director has put a good plan in motion to retain and build off of the existing talent in the office. The New York office is definitely on the upswing...

One of the BIG perks at Terrapinn is the travel... (UK, Mexico, Canada, Panama, Colombia, Brasil, Curacao... etc.)
    The opportunity to meet your customers/clients on a neutral site allows you to build your personal network and develop relationships outside of the company.

The company also fosters a great social environment... Company teams, outings, happy hours... etc...
    This allows for a good work/home balance.. And in the end what you really what you want out of a company is balance...

Cons

Ok salaries.... Could be better...

Do not deviate from the plan.

9. I worked in Terrapinn for a over a year as an intern

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Terrapinn as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great sales and marketing opportunity. People in the office are really nice and love to help. The company provides great sales training. I particularly benefited from the company’s global present and the ability to form lasting relationships with E level individuals all over the world. The company encourages its employees to help with leadership since the very first day. My advices and opinions were always heard by the managers who always looked for ways to improve the overall satisfaction of the customers and employees.

Cons

I don’t have anything that I can think off. I made lasting relationship with employees and clients that I believe will help me in my future career.

Fantastic Summer Experience in NY

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Terrapinn as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Gained great real world job exposure
    - Management always direct with clear cut responsibilities, goals and company-wide objectives
    - Great team always looking to help new hires
    - Able to make real impact within first few weeks
    - Company is growing to new regions as their events are gaining larger spotlight
    - Great long term potential
    - Managing Director is one of the most committed, motivational, transparent leaders I've ever been lucky enough to work for
    - Unbelievable location on Spring St. in Soho
    (Most Importantly) -- Anyone can succeed at this company if they're committed to putting the time and effort needed to provide all customers with Terrapinn's complete value proposition

Cons

- Can't half-ass job: non-ambitious individuals won't succeed here
    - Turnover relatively high but seems to be decreasing
    - Average compensation (although many commission based positions can be way above average)

Fun place to work, great opportunities

I have been working at Terrapinn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel opportunities are great. I've traveled all over Europe, North America, Canada and South America with the company. The people are generally young, which means you're far more likely to get a real career break earlier on in your career than you would be at a big corporate company. The average age being young also means you'll make some good friends and there is a real social side to the company (which Terrapinn encourages a lot and supports by paying for lunches, parties and nights out sometimes). There has recently been a change in management and the company is on a real upward trend in terms of event quality and staff morale. Terrapinn gives you ownership of your own projects, so you're trained and encouraged to build up your own brands. You do feel invested in your own shows, you get to know a lot of the people in that industry and you know that you're supported in taking events in a direction you want to.

Cons

They could pay more. The commission structure means that if you're on a good event, or have built up a good event, you can earn well. But if you don't have a great event or if you don't earn commission, the salaries are pretty average.

Overall, Terrapinn is a great place to work! But revisit the salaries of those people who can't earn much or any commission.