Terremark Worldwide Reviews

2.7
Terremark Worldwide Chairman, President, and CEO Manuel D. Medina
Manuel D. Medina

1. Terremark Worldwide

I worked at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Good management, lots of work (not boring). Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Long hours sometimes, company needed to upgrade workstations.

2. Was good until Verizon took over...

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Irving, TX

I worked at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good and smart professional staff and management. Some of the most intelligent and energetic people I have ever worked for. Culture was laid-back, creative and open. Great place to learn new technologiees and methods or approaches.

Cons

Limited vision for our department. Not given the respect or resources needed to succeed. Our department was constantly fighting for recognition by upper-management and treated us like the outcasts of the sales department in away. we were kind of given the left-overs of the food chain and were considered the bottom-feeders in the sales division. As valiantly as our director tried to increase our visibility and make new opportunities for us, we were stopped almost every time and lost good people in the process who went on to be successful at the competition. Then when Verizon came in and bought the company, alll of the top executives left on golden parachutes, and the rest of us got overtaken by the bureaucracy of the Verizon culture and old-school attitude.

Advice to Management

Give us a piece of your golden parachute before you decide to jump ship and leave us too the telecom wolves! Thanks Manny! I hope you are doing well on your private yacht in Miami!

3. At the time...the working experience was top notch

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multiple and varied advancements available. Diverse working environment. Management support. Clean hiring practices. Flexible work schedules. Justified raises

Cons

With the roll out of the company being absorbed caused a massive change in the work environment. Management demands were not clear and policies became muddled. With the new roll out of the ticketing software, integration and customer support had its glitches because there was little to no testing time between systems.

Advice to Management

Loyalty to company and product line as well as overall workmanship should still hold value over all else.

It was a good start for me

Former Employee - RFP Specialist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - RFP Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I gained a decent amount of knowledge and experience during my time there. Generally speaking, I enjoyed the people I worked with and there was a good office environment.

Cons

Never truly felt valued in my role and was underpaid, which made leaving an easy decision when a better offer came my way. I went above and beyond my assigned duties and it was taken for granted. They were happy to have me do more work and accept more responsibilities, but had zero interest in rewarding me for it. When my boss left the company, I assumed many of is duties and had to fight for a pay raise. It wasn't until I told them I had another job offer that they offered more money, at that point it was too late.
    I was there before the Verizon acquisition and from what I hear, it's a good thing I left before that happened. Every since, Verizon has been pushing out all the legacy Terremark people.

Verizon / Terremark

I worked at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly good place to work. If you can avoid the Verizon environment shifts that is. In some ways they have the Data Return mentality in that you work hard and get rewarded.

Cons

The pay is no where close to market. I nearly doubled my pay after being Rif'd. There is no true career path. Verizon instituted a quasi-career path that is not close to being followed by management. The training budget is only for select groups which is against Verizon corporate policy.

Advice to Management

Need MUCH better communication both up and down the levels.
    Provide a training budget for all employees.
    Lead by example and not the IRON FIST.
    Answer truthfully to questions by employees instead of ignoring or beating around the bush.
    I will not work for Verizon or Terremark in the future
    Pay your employees market rates.

Ticket Crusher

Former Employee - Windows Server Incident Management Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company to blend in with. Nothing is YOUR problem - its everyones problem.

Cons

Very few people looking to fix said problem. The company took advantage of me, the top ticket crusher, financially and ruined my work ethics. I will never go into a job trusting that they will do the right thing. VerizonTerremark always did what was better for the company financially and would never put an employee in their consideration. I let verizon control my life and gave it my all only to find myself stressed out, suicidal, broke, depressed. I probably did it to myself with verizon watching. Make a suggestion and upper management ignores. Lots of promises that were never kept. Your direct manager is a puppet for people in another state who fly around the country all year long completely disconnected from what you do day to day.

When I left they were doing another one of their layoffs (surprised?) Took financial advantage of me here (not surprised) and they were mass hiring in india. In india they get 6 months rampup time to catch on to the job and they follow a script. In the US your working tickets week 1 or 2. In this round of layoffs, they laid off several people they had just converted to full time, and left contractors working. Not sure who was thinking on this business sense but someone wasted alot of money.

There is no chance to move up. And if it happens you will find yourself at the bottom, if not below the pay scale with their Pay Caps. Have to work there 5 years at that point just to get the same pay as people in your department get. They like that. More money in their pocket.

They would tell others they didnt get as much bonus because the ticket crusher isnt being paid enough, so they had to give him more. Making the ticket crusher look like a bad man to his coworkers, when the true reason is the ticket crusher worked hard to get what he got.

Lessons - If you are frustrated or mad about something, dont bother talking about it. Noone is listening. Dont let the company know your leaving, tell them last minute and take off several days of your last weeks. Remember that they have unlimited sick days as long as you have a doctors note after 2 days, so 2 days off, 1 on, and your good. Take advantage of them like they do to you its only fair.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees right. Stop treating them like trash and expect diamonds in return. STOP OUTSOURCING TO INDIA.

8. Terremark was a decent company, but didn't care to advance its own employees

Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was a casual environment and the people ad mid management and below were good to work with
    Benefits were decent for medical but pay rate was very low

Cons

The Sr management team was mostly a tight group and they hired a lot of friends and family to work there, looking to promote them over the people who earned opportunities.
    They didn't care to train employees for advancement
    Middle managers were often just the 'yes' men for Sr managers and never stood up for doing the right thing

Advice to Management

Develop an environment where people feel like they can advance their careers

9. Not a bad place to work, hard to tell with so much change happening - a lot of change

I have been working at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice network, global capabilities, our friends on the wireless side help, and we have a great array of products and services to offer from colo to fully managed; good pay and good benefits, plus nice time off and work from home

Cons

Now part of big Verizon, so must navigate in a matrix; hard to get things done at times, and a few layoffs happening now and then make work a little harder to get done.

Advice to Management

Get with it - if you smile and deliver a happy message, then followup on that with happy action. Don't say one thing and do another.

10. Friendly and fast-paced work environment

I have been working at Terremark Worldwide

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Friendly people and environment to work in. No micro-managers. Work hours are very reasonable unlike some companies that will work you to death.

Cons

Too many incompetent and inept staff dragging down the overall performance of the company.

Advice to Management

Verizon Terremark likes to give away "free money" to the people who are clearly incompetent at their jobs. Fire them all and impose a strict interview process for future candidates, and there will be a major boost in customer's satisfaction/retention/infrastructure stability.

11. Senior Project Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Terremark Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefit package, opportunities to collaborate with with cross-functional teams, generous continuing education allowance.

Cons

Little opportunity to advance without leaving, poor top-down communication from management, frequent re-organizations. Little to no management direction given for how to grow in the position or move ahead.

Advice to Management

Better, frequent communication to let employees know what direction the company is taking and what their parts will be for the changes.

Terremark Worldwide Photos