Terumo BCT Reviews

Updated October 26, 2014
3.4

Terumo BCT President and CEO David B. Perez
David B. Perez

Pros
  • Good benefits compared with other companies, but also being reduced (in 6 reviews)

• Minimum training hours are required and the company provides tuition reimbursement (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Management look for ways to make the work environment so unpleasant that employees hate going to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

• Cronyism is rampant at the upper-levels and the senior management exist in an echo chamber (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Awesome Benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Terumo BCT

Pros

Really welcoming team! I loved working there and the work was highly rewarding. I was able to focus my skills and learn a lot.

Cons

Small software dev team. It was hard only having a small amount of engineers on each platform. Only one person was really a pro of any one technology

Focus on your software. It will help set you apart.

Great

Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time

Pros

The people I work with every day are fantastic. Compensation is on par with most medical device companies. Associates are given a lot of responsibility and my input is valued. There's a strong feeling of ownership and motivation to get projects completed. The ECO pass is an awesome benefit. Health insurance benefits are great - you can choose between a kaiser or Cigna plan, and both have an HSA/HRA and traditional "PPO" type plan (although the company deposit is low for HSA's). David Perez is an outstanding CEO. He definitely seems to care about the people who work here and doesn't give off the "I'm better than you, don't waste my precious time" vibe many CEO's do. Work/life balance is decent.

Cons

Paid time off is not the best. Associates start with 2 weeks off and get an extra week after 5 years with the company. It is almost impossible to negotiate PTO. HR has stated they don't have many people turning down job offers because of the vacation policy so they won't change it. Maybe that will change some day. Tell HR why you turned down an offer if asked - it will only help them to make the company more competitive.

401(k) matching is maxed at 4% if you put in 6%. While I'm grateful they have a 401(k) match, it is a little low compared to other medical device companies. My last company put in 8% if you only put in 6% and gave stock options.

Parking is less than ideal, but not bad overall.

Relax the vacation policy. Give your associates the opportunity to recharge - 10 days of PTO leads to a few long weekends, not legitimate vacations to unwind and recharge. Being a global company, it's frustrating to hear of foreign associates getting 5 weeks off when they start working for Terumo and stings even worse in August when you can't even communicate with foreign associates because they're on a 3 week vacation with their families while you are stuck trying to do their work so you can stay on schedule - they have as much vacation time left after their 3 week vacations as I get all year.

I am not disgruntled. Stopped in look at some job descriptions, salaries, etc. and decided to leave a review.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One of the best things is that I am directly involved with things that make peoples' lives better or in some cases save them. My work challenges me and, on a weekly if not daily basis, I grow because of these challenges. In my specific environment I am given the opportunity to not only contribute to and take ownership of projects or processes but I am also given the professional respect to challenge things as well and to have my input considered equally with any senior manager or anyone else for that matter that may be in the room.

This company also offers tuition reimbursement to the tune of $5000 per year (pretty sure that's the number, but I haven't checked in a while). That said, I do have some complaints about our tuition reimbursement policies (I put that below in the cons section).

Cons

I have heard from others that the vacation policy here leaves much to be desired. Breakdown is like this: from hire date to five years with the company you get two weeks per year, five years to ten years gets you three weeks, and 10+ years gets you four weeks. A couple of caveats here. There is unlimited sick pay; you do not have to burn PTO when you get sick. It is NOT a use-it-or-lose it system (per say); PTO rolls over year to year however you have a cap on how much PTO you can have in the bank (I think it's 1.5 times your annual allotment) after which you simply don't accrue any more until you use some. They have also added something within the last five years or so where you are given one free "floating holiday" (8 hours of PTO equivalent) at the beginning of each calendar year for you to use without burning up eight hours of PTO.

I have also heard that the benefits here may leave a little to be desired. I have not however vetted this for myself. Given the changes we have been seeing in the medical community and with health insurance, assuming there is a disparity in the benefits we get here and how much they cost us with respect to those offered elsewhere my guess is that the gap has narrowed.

A word about the bonuses. I don't know how the bonus structures are at other biomeds, but I know how they are at a few of the telecom companies around town. Hearing about some of the five digit bonuses that are handed out there, getting 7% of my gross pay from the previous year seems to pale in comparison (I do love my bonus though, I am aware of the fact that I should be and am very thankful that I even get one in the first place).

The tuition reimbursement, while a fantastic benefit and something that I am also very grateful for, also has a few kinks that I am not crazy about. Yes the company gives me free money to go to school, but I am a senior at a local university (in other words community college is no longer an option for my degree). Between tuition and books and supplies, not to mention all the extra eating out I have to do because I am not at home and extra travel costs as the school I go to is not on my way home, $5K/year sometimes comes up short in reimbursing me for my costs of attending college. The other issue is the fact that it is reimbursement, meaning I have to pay all of those costs out of pocket first and wait until the end of the semester to get the money. My circumstances are a little peculiar, but suffice it to say that I have been saving for six months to try to come up with the initial $2-3K that I will need for that upfront investment and probably will be for at least the next three to six months. All the while I am just a few classes away from graduating; it is going to take me less time to finish my degree than it is going to take me to start finishing my degree.

Things are in disarray a little here in I&D. We need some philosophies on how we do things passed down from above that we can use to direct our day-to-day (or maybe more specifically that we can use to define how and what our teams do day-to-day). Also, focus more on taking care of your people and not as much on their results (I don't mean this to sound dichotomous, I am merely suggesting biasing the balance away from the results a little and toward the people a little). Make them as happy as you can and as satisfied with their jobs as they can be. Combine that with clear philosophies and direction and results will follow. Make people want to do a good job because they love what they do and who they do it for and they will focus on delivering better results than you could even ask them for.

IT WAS HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Production in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Production in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Terumo BCT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

weekends off and the pay.

Cons

They MICRO MANAGE and treat you like a cow in a herd. It's MOST UNPROFESSIONAL and very JUVENILE, if you don't play their mind games then you are an out cast. They would rather play games against one another rather work productively to build an outstanding product.

GET RID OF MOST AND START OVER

Good benefits.

Current Employee - Assembler in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Assembler in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and much diversity. Co-workers are amazing people from all walks of life.

Cons

I'm not sure yet since I am so new, but it seems many are disheartened about their chances to advance in the company unless one knows people or is good at politics.

Promote the most qualified.

Excellent

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, benefits, training, opportunities, growing and expanding

Cons

Parking, can't really think of any negatives

Amazing company, less than amazing leadership

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work that is done and the products that are made are lifesaving. It's an amazing feeling to work for a company that is so philanthropic in it endeavors, while levering existing technologies to innovate and change the market globally. There are amazing minds and talents at Terumo BCT.

Cons

I feel like the salaries are not commensurate with industry standards, nor are the equal company wide. Some senior leadership is not great (although I don't think it's company wide) and there is a great amount of favoritism and inequity that takes place. I don't care much for the culture I am in where there is a fear of failure and not much opportunity to advance.

I feel increased compensation, advancement opportunities and a chance for increased (more than 2.5% for "good performance") merit increases would help morale. So would leadership who values the ability of an individual to make a positive impact on the organization. You might also want to give associates the opportunity and freedom to do what they do best without constant micromanaging.

Growing pains

Current Employee - Associate in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Associate in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement
    Receptive leadership
    Ability to incite change at most levels
    Flexibility!
    Truly making a difference

Cons

2 weeks vacation to start
    Little room for negotiation on salary

This company, since being acquired, is facing a sea change in terms of expectations. The emphasis used to be innovate, costs be damned, and the company attracted and retained people who thrived in that type of environment. Currently, due to external pressures (parent corporation), the emphasis is more on a regimented "budgets and timelines" model. I am concerned that the same type of people who thrived in the former model will not be as successful in the latter. Our pace remains, um, invigorating? Breakneck? If you are not prepared to hit it, and hit it hard, this is probably not the appropriate place for you.

My personal experience has been positive in terms of being able to (both allowed to and heard when I do) point out problems and potential pitfalls, and having them addressed. I genuinely like my managers, which, although not necessary, certainly helps, though I have heard of bad experiences from colleagues with different chains of command. I have been offered help with career path, and have had managers offer (and follow through) to facilitate transition and promotion. I run as a type-A, ADHD personality, so the multiple crunches and the speed fit well with my personality, and I find it a very comfortable place to be.

We have great ideation, some good products and features coming down the pike, and I look forward to whatever tomorrow (and later today!) brings.

Caring Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company provides a lot of opportunities to participate in wellness programs and benefits options. Minimum training hours are required and the company provides tuition reimbursement. Employees are always encouraged to learn more about the business. It is a very collaborative environment.

Cons

It is fast paced but that is because we are ever evolving our products. If you don't like change you won't like to work here.

Keep listening to new ideas, it helps our company grow!

Excellent company with reputation of being a best place to work for over 40 yrs!

I have been working at Terumo BCT full-time

Pros

culture, interesting people, smart and conscientous, truly cares about patients served

Cons

best kept secret Denver area - changed names so people don't know how great they are!

management is very kind and compassionate, sometimes too tolerant of employees that aren't pulling weight

Terumo BCT Photos