Tesco Bank

www.tescobank.com

Tesco Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Tesco Bank – “Cowcaddens Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user…”

Tesco Bank – “Cowcaddens Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user…”

Tesco Bank CEO Benny Higgins

Benny Higgins

Standard competency based process

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe company has a great atmosphere and internal culture. Training is very adequate and the company tries hard to make their staff feel happy there.

ConsThere is not a huge amount of flexibility for changing shift patterns or getting time off approved if it's already taken. Although, you are given a lot of opportunity to get days off required e.g. shift swaps with other offices.

Very educating, and an eye-opener!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

ProsSo much to learn, a very bright workforce. Some great focused people and teams. Worked at Welwyn Garden City...there are over 2000 colleagues there in beautiful offices.
    I returned from Maternity leave, and the company really tried to accommodate my request for a more flexible working arrangement. In the end, it didnt work for me and my circumstances.

ConsNot as slick as one would think. But willing to make changes to improve. Sometimes the size of the organisation means decisions take longer to make and implement.
    The role that i was given on my return from maternity leave was not really fitting my background and skills, however the company did its best to give me flexible working arrangement.

The blame culture and terrible leadership ruins this place.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsVery few unfortunately - not a great place to work. Give this one a miss!

ConsTerrible leadership, blame culture, underpaid, undermotivated, no clear vision, corner cutting. Avoid working here at all costs!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an active project (active for months) to improve the perception within the company of Senior Management. This project is run... by senior management. What a joke! Go back to RBS!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

amazing

Customer Service (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsLovely people to work with

Consnot a great salary

Advice to Senior Managementmore organised in head offices

Just a job

ProsFlexibile working locations, peers are supportive.

ConsLack of people focus, weak leadership, high pressured in comparison to other FS organisations.

High stress for high rewards

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsModern offices, young interested workforce, plenty of new people so most remember what it's like to be new, benefits packages relatively decent vs comparable employers

ConsVery high pressure environment, lip service to quality only

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk about quality, empower employees to spend time on it rather than always being at the coalface - action needs to back up words

Fantastic Employer - very highly recommended!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood pay
    Fantastic, understanding managers and great colleagues
    Nearly always granted requested holidays and shift swaps
    Lots of social events
    No sales targets
    Great atmosphere

ConsCan get tedious if working full time.
    Some customers can be awful!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you are doing! I always felt very valued as an employee here and therefore always worked to my full potential.

Dreadful place to work

Customer Service (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe building is well ventilated, modern & kept spotless. The restaurent downstairs serves excellent food.

ConsIf you are not ex-Royal Bank Of Scotland Insurance your chances of advancement are nil. All the senior staff came from there (RBS used to run the Tesco financial brands on their behalf) & they have taken over the poisonous culture from that company with them.

Nepotism & favourism are regarded as management perks, and woe betide anyone that speaks up about it.

If you happen to support the correct football club or the team leaders have the hots for you, you can get away with near murder with both customers and time keeping - they'll make sure it never comes to senior management's attention.

But if the team leader doesn't like your face, expect them to waste time meant to be helping the team instead looking for calls to fail you on (even if it means a delay in the routine call feedbacks to the team at large). One woman in my section with over 20 years in banking and regular "Blue calls" was fired for repeated call failing - all within 4 months of us acquiring a new student team leader who said he hadn't time for "dogs" & spent more time attempting to chat up "talent" or playing with his smartphone than doing his job.

The result of the above is people get stressed out if they find their team given a new team leader, as its a lottery that can determine whether they will have a future or will find themselves with an unfair black blot on their work record from some student team leader's power trip.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the nepotism and stop seeing regular staff turnovers to be replaced by new recruits on starting salaries as good for business. Do something about an office that's more like a school playground.

Great people and a different approach

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsA lot going on means there is loads you can get involved in.
    Excellent people with a good mix of backgrounds and experience.
    Refreshing view of performance management and real discussions around development and ratings, not like some of the after-the-event discussions that can take place in other banks.
    Exciting buzz around numerous projects

ConsNot competitive against other banks compensation, still tied to the retailer model (including holidays which were very low allocation)
    Sometimes trying to do too much at once
    Slow to market for products such as current accounts means that they are missing the opportunity to capitalise on the poor perception of other banks.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgree priorities that are do-able and also a coherent customer offering.

Great place to work

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat offices and an interesting mix in your everyday work. The team I worked in were really friendly and it was a great place to build your network. If you want to wake up smiling most days and looking forward to a rewarding day, working in a team, you'll love Tesco Bank

ConsRate of growth could be too much for some. I loved the Tesco Vision and Values but there were some who had come from a banking background who didn't take to the more personable aspects of "the Tesco Way".

Worked for Tesco Bank? Contribute to the Community!