Tesco Controls

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Shain Thomas

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great! Employee ownership gives you a sense of pride in the work that you do. It's a growing company and there have been a lot of positive changes in the last year. Reviews and raises happen annually and employee surveys are being conducted to improve company culture. Employee morale is up and at least once a month there is something fun for employees like free lunch from food trucks, ice cream socials, coffee company brought in to make drinks and monthly birthday and anniversary recognition.

Cons

The company is growing fast and there is a constant need to hire new employees and sometimes good people are hard to find.

I like the changes that are being made. There is more collaboration between department managers which is good.

Growing and Successful Company

Current Employee - I&C Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - I&C Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent group of people to work with. Benefits and perks are better than what companies of similar size provide. It is a family oriented place. TESCO is an employee owned company which is growing and has a steady and responsible balance sheet. ESOP plan (company stock distributed to each employee every year) has been growing over the years.

Cons

There is a lack of training and cross-training of employees. Departments are slow to adapt to change and resist change in how things are done even if new methods are better. Growth opportunities within certain departments of the company are very limited. Salaries are below what industry pays.

Over last couple of years management has made great improvements on how business was done. Please keep on improving. Should management allow and encourage employees to grow to their full potential? Should management notice and recognize employees who go well beyond of what they are paid to do?

So disappointing!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are hard working, and very genuine people. They were a fun group to work with. That's just about all I can come up with. Everything else was horrible.

Cons

The senior management is completely corrupt. They convinced me in the interview process that they were honest and cared about doing the right thing but I quickly realized after starting my job that it was all an act. They hire production employees as temp workers and then work them 6 days a week and over 60 hours and see if they can break the employees. If the temp employee puts up with being abused then they will hire them as regular employees. They talk down to everyone and don't give a crap about burning employees out. The senior management held secret meetings to discuss the lower management employees behind their backs. And they had zero integrity. I was instructed to do things I felt uncomfortable doing and when I questioned things they terminated me.

My only advice is a major change in the entire senior management structure. They have 2 people acting as the CEO... Which is not productive.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Assembler in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good group of people hard workers

Cons

learning how to read blueprints

not getting support from upper management

Tesco is an exceptional place to work. Manufacturing mixed with tech.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of long term employees with great depth and breadth of experience. You get to work with cutting edge technology. Has the feel of a small mom and pop store despite being a big business. Lots of employee events and a real focus on the customers.

Cons

Career growth within Tesco is very limited. Salary increases are few and far between, but management is working with a consulting team to change how they do things.

Develop internal career paths for employees, give regularly scheduled salary adjustments, and listen closely to what your employees are saying.

It started out being a great place to work.

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time

Pros

Employee-Owned, Days away from this place are the BEST

Cons

The pennies they call raises,employee review system, unqualified people for management positions, poor communication with lower level employees.

Wake up, take a look at why they employee turnover rate is so high

Tesco tries hard, but falls just short

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Tesco Controls full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, collaborative environment, long term employees, personable executive management. Most people seem generally interested in new ideas and improvements. Support staff is friendly. Employee Owned Company. Has quite a few events for employees (monthly birthday celebrations, yearly picnic, health fair, ESOP Month).

Cons

Reviews, raises, and the like are few and far between, if ever. Most people only receive general raises if they threaten to leave or get a job offer somewhere else. Some people in middle management really shouldn't be there. Worker bees as managers mean things do not get managed very well, they are too busy working. Way too many meetings - they have 4-5 meetings a week with the same core people and a few different folks mixed in and talk about the same thing every time, just a waste of time.

I would like to see Tesco focus on quality over quantity. A few years ago when construction was non-existent, it was a scramble to get jobs. We needed to take on a lot of projects to stay busy and keep the bills paid. While the landscape has changed, Tesco is still taking and bidding as many jobs as we can. The workload is always high, and little mistakes are getting made on practically every level. Tesco is still good at what we do, but we used to be great. Now it seems like we are trying to grow for the sake of growing and not approaching it strategically. Overall, I would like to see a focus on company efficiency, employee morale, product quality, and customer satisfaction.

People are great, opportunity is limited.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time

Pros

Employee owned company, who work together to produce top notch product.

Cons

Below average salary, more of a job, than a career.

A Great Place to Work

I worked at Tesco Controls full-time

Pros

Employees and management made my first days a positive experience each taking the time to incorporate me into the company and its culture. Good management team creating a positive work environment. Tesco sponors a varity of charity events thru the year making a point to include employees and their families, fun and an excellent way to give back to the community! Since the company is 100% employee owned each employee has a vested interest in making it successful. The company is growing despite the slower economy. A very tough decision to leave a good organization.

Cons

90 day waiting period for benefits.

Keep up the good work!

Tesco Controls Response

Nov 18, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for your comments. In 2013 we changed our waiting period for benefits to start on the first day of the month following 30 days of employment.

Successful company despite the management

I worked at Tesco Controls

Pros

The mgmt is very strange. Completely paranoid and afraid to trust employees. The only pro I can think of would be that they have a beautiful facility.

Cons

Very poor communication. Afraid to grow and change. Very secretive. Questionable integrity.

Tesco Controls Photos