Tesco

Tesco Reviews in London UK

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Tesco CEO Philip Clarke

Philip Clarke

Pros
  • Work-life balance is encouraged, company values are decent(in 22 reviews)

• Good pay, development opportunities available, and some great people(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, expectation that you will do more than is fair(in 17 reviews)

• Senior management has taken it's eye off the ball and the business lacks direction(in 11 reviews)

89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good fun people

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

ProsThere are great people at Tesco. Strong management and good benefits package

ConsThe numbers overrule logical decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilise the ideas from the shop floor

Good team, interesting projects, low paid and bad management

Developer (Current Employee) Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

ProsThe team are some of the brightest people I have worked with, there is a choice of projects to choose from and a great work life balance (if you so luck to have a good team lead).

ConsLow paid, paid raise is a joke
    Tech people are not rated based on their tech skills but rather their soft skills. Business people will always trump tech people when it come to promotion.
    Work level based system, transition from one level to another require a lot of buttering up the upper management outside of your immediate work area
    No appreciation for the work you have put in
    Team lead changes frequently with no real support when looking to move up the ladder
    Company rather have contractors than retaining or hiring perm staff

Advice to Senior ManagementRecongines the hard work of the tech people and pay a fair wages for their work

Something to get you through higher education

Personal Shopper (Current Employee) Croydon, England (UK)

ProsIf you are a student, a job at tesco can be ideal. It has decent pay, it can be flexible if you are on good terms with your manager and you get 10% off everything at tesco :) it's a good job to get you through college/uni
    Having said that, I've heard it has great career prospects within management

ConsThe work can get really boring and repetitive
    Also can be physical at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing

Team Member (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNo skill required.... at all. Given the level of skill required is really hard to loose the job... unless you are a dishonest and dumb thief . I had to add the "dumb" because there a re still a lot of dishonest person who still work for the company but sadly are smart enough to not get caught.

ConsNo real training , sort of trial and error ,given the nature of the job, a simple manual would do wonders ( not the generalist staff book ) , store managers do not always follow company standards and procedures especially the one related to safety and fairness ( ex. only one person for heavy delivery cages when the staff manual specify 2 for safety ) .
    Extra-Eu monopoly in stores create an embarrassing ( and highly offensive ) work environment for whoever know only "english" as second language .
    Even if your store achieve great profits , you will never have any gratification .

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage , stop trying to steal free hours from team members , stop the "casual" mistake on the payslip ... casually always favoring the store balance and never the employee .
    If you need 6 person to do a job ... do not settle for 4 !
    Invest more in effective security methods! No wonder shrinkage is sky high all the time.

Losing it's way

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

ProsA challenging and dynamic business with multiple divisions and overseas operations, which in theory provide diverse opportunities to progress your career.

ConsSenior management has taken it's eye off the ball and the business lacks direction. New middle management has diluted the internal identity and is reluctant to take decisions. They join to get Tesco on their CV and then move on adding little to the business. Benefits are being continuously eroded.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure the Tesco Values are practiced by everyone, especially management, and look after the people in the business properly. Too often short sighted short term financial decisions are taken rather than a longer term strategic approach.

Great Opportunity

Programmer Manager (Current Employee) Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

ProsFrom day one you are given a huge responsibilities. People are an asset for the company and are treated with respect. Great place to work and gain experience. Many areas to succeed

ConsVery little support from leadership team. Lack of clear directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould focus more on people needs.

Good career progression

Resourcing Manager (Current Employee) Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

ProsWorking with bright and interesting people
    Career progression and development
    Big, exciting brand

ConsTough trading conditions at the moment

Well Run Company

Warehouse Team Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood Team. Lots of staff.

ConsBrainwashed into believing in the brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet everyones work and home life balance right.

Pretty poorly run job, not sure if this was just because of our managers but didn't have a good experience

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) New Alresford, England (UK)

Prossome co-workers were pretty friendly and regular customers were nice to deal with

Conspolicies on calling in sick aren't good, I was given a verbal warning even though I gave over the minimum notice (an hour) because my team leader didn't write down the correct time I called in sick. Was often made to work over an hour later than the store closed because time hadn't been managed effectively and didn't get paid for this extra time, just locked in the store with the manager and told I couldn't leave.

Advice to Senior Managementhave an adequate number of staff on for each shift, don't ask staff to lie to customers because it makes you more money

Poor senior management and leadership, too much politics

Solution Architect (Current Employee) Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

ProsWork life balance, training (internal), benefits, pension, store discounts, good understanding of the retail business

ConsSenior management is unintelligent, very political workplace (if you do not say the right things that people want to hear, even if its wrong, you do not belong here), whoever has the loudest voice is right, very aggressive culture,

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice or solution to the management is to change the entire management and hire new blood - the management needs a complete re-organisation and change

Worked for Tesco? Contribute to the Community!