Tesco

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tesco CEO Philip Clarke

Philip Clarke

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, action orientated business that gets results"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Good pay and decent enviroment to work under, colleagues are friendly and you get a 10% discount"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The long hours/shifts can get very boring especially late at night when the shop is not that busy"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work life balance 80% towards work"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great learning opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tesco full-time for more than a year

Proswonderful campus,friendly atmosphere,the campus has been designed keeping in mind all the needs of an employee.

ConsSometimes the skills are not appropriately reviewed and considered for growth of an employee by the management

yo

Analyst (Current Employee)
Tesco, TX

I have been working at Tesco full-time for less than a year

ProsTesco is a good company

ConsThere might be something better

Good for part time work to see you through university

I worked at Tesco part-time

ProsOpportunity for moves to other departments, sometimes with extra training provided e.g. if moving onto customer service.
Some scope for overtime work.

ConsHard to get time off around holidays like xmas, easter, bank hols etc

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees (even shelf stackers) have much greater potential than just stacking shelves. It would be useful for you to try and tap into your resources better.

My review

ATG Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tesco full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA challenging position with a company that desires creative technical leaders with effective communication and people skills and a talent for making teams more effective, along with the best of technical skills and experience and a motivated, goal oriented natural team player willing to in a supportive and creative environment to expertise myself and contribute the best of my knowledge to the emerging trends and needs of the industry.

ConsQuick Learner, self Confident, Good communication skills, Aspiring, ambitious, hard-working, responsive, focused

Broad, demanding and business that grinds its people down

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Daventry, England (UK)

I worked at Tesco full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunity to grow knowledge and experience

ConsBusiness continually pushed responsibility down.
Never satisfied and doesn't look after it's people.
Very much an old boys club

Advice to Senior ManagementSpare the arrogance.
Value the experience in you longer standing teams.
Learn from your mistakes.
Challenge your middle and senior managers more and don't take things at face value.
Scratch the surface more.

a great british company...struggling to find its way

Night Manager (Current Employee)
Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Tesco full-time for more than 10 years

Proslarge company, excellent policies for employees. good benefits and development opportunities. pro flexibility (when suits) and has a real focus on employee morale and customer focus.

Consseems to have lost direction. investment seems to be non focused and when there is consistency i feel its in the wrong direction. can anyone explain to me who are target customers are nowadays? i can describe the mission statement of many other retailers but not my own! new policies are not so pro employee and reduces our ability to recruit and retain the best talent. i fear the short term future.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the vision... too much money appears to be being wasted on trivial matters. yet a lack of investment into our people and areas that will retain customers and reestablish growth. this is reflected in our falling share price. in times of hardship tighten the belt and revert back to a simple philosophy. from the new contracts we offer to the reduction in our pension and benefits, this is all understandable however not consistent with unexplainable decisions.
 These include ideal schedules, ridiculous party hats above the door at x-mas and most inexplicable... the new outsourcing of stock take routines to people who appear to have no accountability for obvious errors that potentially cost the company huge sums of money, whilst we continue to employ our own teams of stock controllers who are passionate and capable.
 And finally new leadership restructuring will mean the loss of some team leaders/managers and fantastic colleagues, business leaders of the future who in many cases do an outstanding job and will be forced to either step down or leave. not only these people but the incentive for outstanding colleagues who will struggle to even obtain contracts that will keep a roof above their head will reconsider their future as the removal of team leaders will restrict development opportunities for those who would undoubtedly benefit from increased responsibility but not yet ready to progress the large gap into management.

Could do better

Warehouse Team Manager (Current Employee)
Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Tesco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, facilities and colleague relationships. Prospects for promotion within company; as well as good pension. Discounted shopping (privilege card) and company shares after being with the company after 12 months.

ConsWork more hours than you're paid for. Constant give and no take from senior management. Annual reviews are based on an 'anonymous' question set which can lead to dismissal for you if you're not performing. The workload can be overwhelming at times.
Social life whilst doing shift work is non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after middle management after all they are the ones controlling the operation at grass roots. There has to be give and take in all areas in order to get the best out of your team.

Good Company, Hard at times

Trainee Checkout Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tesco full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood benefits, good career opportunities and development, good hourly rate

Conslack of staff in stores, expected to achieve key performance indicators with minimal support and staff.

Advice to Senior Managementspend some time in stores during times of little or no overtime and see how hard it is for Checkouts to achieve I Don't Queue and Dotcom to complete pick by 12pm and achieve availability when all shop floor staff and management team are picking so shelves empty.

OK

I worked at Tesco

ProsExtra time on a sunday paid 1.5x normal salary.

Management was good and fair for time off.

Good discount to use instore and online

ConsCo workers were not that great

Hard to get promoted

canteen was expensive for not that great food

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up higher positions to employees in the store already

Only good thing is the benefits!

Front End Team Leader (Current Employee)
Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at Tesco full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is a good benefits system including free shares, although benefits are getting squeezed. Pay is good starting around £7 depending on what age you are. Most people are fun to work with.

ConsWhen you get to team leader/management level there is a lot of pressure with not a lot of support. Not a lot of good encouragement or incentives to work hard. You are expected to work extra hours without pay so unless you are dedicated to the company, stay at general assistant level. Very 'clicky' environment when on outings, and in staff areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have worked for the company for 10 years and have seen it go down hill. The morale in stores is awful. It's hard to keep staff motivated when other management are putting them down. Some targets that are given by out of touch managers/senior managers/head office are unrealistic. I think all managers should know how every aspect of the store works before becoming a manager, staff would have more respect for them because they know what their jobs entail.

Worked for Tesco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tesco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tesco CEO Philip Clarke. All 254 reviews posted anonymously by Tesco employees.