Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Tesla Motors Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk

Elon Musk

Pros
  • Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech(in 10 reviews)

• Free cereal and a soda fountain (Im easy to please)(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not really good because you have to work long hours and sometiems weekends(in 18 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, it's not as bad as some make it seem however(in 15 reviews)

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

amazing experience part of making history with this company!

Technician (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAwesome drive by this company. cross training was a great experience to understand the big picture of goals that Tesla has.

ConsLong hours can take anyone to feel restless, but well worth the reward of completing the job.

Fast paced and determined

Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAutonomy to make decisions with very little oversight. If you have a good idea,

ConsJunior executive team, who are afraid to push back against the CEO to set realistic, yet aggressive, design milestones on program and project deliveries, which is costing the company hundreds of millions of dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the fat in the upper management with some experienced executives who know how to scale high volume manufacturing. Provide employee benefits equal to our competition.

Awesome place to work

Firmware Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros-Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech. Work is very fulfilling and interesting.
    -Good atmosphere for talking about engineeringy stuff w coworkers
    -Free cereal, oatmeal, coffee, milk, OJ
    -Learning a lot. Coworkers are very intelligent and professional.
    -Good work life balance, at least on my team. Everyone sticks to 40hr weeks, more or less.

Cons-Intern pay is about a third of what I'd be receiving from other software companies ($15/hr here + $500 total relocation stipend, ~$40/hr + $3000 relocation stipend is what friends and I have been offered from other places). I suppose

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, great work.

Parts Advisor (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat Benefits, great office culture, people love what they do. People know what they are doing and work as a team to get the results

Consi don't have any cons just get ready to work long hours.

Good Comany

Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros*Free cereal
    *Working with lots of smart people
    *Exciting technology

Cons*Long work hours
    *Average/low salary
    *Small food options

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you employee. Give incentive for great work.

Fun

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsHard to grow within the company without the right experience

Awesome challenging environment, but super super crazy

Engineering Technician II (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsLots of new technology and extremes of everything to play with
    Everyone is happy and everyone is super enthusiastic

ConsPay isn't too great
    People don't bring problems up before they are serious

Advice to Senior ManagementSome more transparency into future projects/activities would help us plan much better

Constant Action With Super Smart People

Battery Engineering (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe learning you'll gain in such a short time is incredible. You're being trained throughout the whole internship. The company culture is a huge open space with great ease of communication. If you do any programming work, you're going to be working a lot, but other internships that rely on a team will have you work only as long as the team as you can imagine. Free cereal and juice is great.

ConsPay is known to be pretty weak comparatively - just know you're not coming here for the pay at all, otherwise you won't enjoy your time.

Make an unparalleled impact!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFascinating work, great co-workers, fantastic managers. If you put in hard work, you'll see the fruits of your labor in the real world pushing the boundaries of electric vehicle and grid battery technology.

ConsLower pay compared to Google, FB, etc. There's also very limiting food options nearby and no food at headquarters other than cereal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay could be better and it would be awesome if we had dinner on campus. That would increase productivity greatly!

Fast Paced, Interesting Work, Smart People, sub-par employee benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe work is very exciting, fast paced. Time to market is quicker than anywhere else. Lots of cutting edge projects and smart people to work with. The atmosphere is still leaning towards a small startup with collaboration across departments. If you want responsibility, Tesla will pile it on until you say "when".

ConsLong hours, impossible deadlines and minimal job security. Almost everyone working at or above long term sustainable levels. Almost non-existent employee benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a really great product is good motivation, but that novelty wears off. If you want to keep the top talent that you've worked so hard to recruit, you need to have solid employee comp, benefits and job security. One reason Tesla is losing some of it's veterans is that they are underpaid, new hires make more than people with years of experience bringing Tesla to success. Tesla needs to implement some kind of mid-year compensation leveling. It would also help to actually hold reviews yearly, I know we are all busy, but you can't keep overworking your people and pushing off their reviews and compensation bonus. Take the time to treat your employees right and they will give you their loyalty.

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!