Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Tesla Motors Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk

Elon Musk

Pros
  • Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech(in 10 reviews)

• Free cereal and a soda fountain (Im easy to please)(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not really good because you have to work long hours and sometiems weekends(in 18 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, it's not as bad as some make it seem however(in 15 reviews)

Very smart, courteous people. Great interview!

Senior Electronic Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsUnbeatable health benefits, great stock options. Excellent, fast paced environment. Great coworkers!

ConsPay is not as good, especially for Bay Area, but hey, you're working for the world's best startup company!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesome work!

Incredible Company, expect to work like a startup

Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsWorking for Tesla you are always on the cusp of technology, awesome coworkers, and incredible cars. Most of the people that work here are incredibly smart and passionate about the company, car and the future. They provide training for the position, if you're qualified and they can prime you for promotion. Promotions are definitely preferred from within, so expect to move up as the company expands and grows.

ConsThe hours are insane. There is no avoiding that. They hire one person to do 3 people's job...and it shows. With that being said, when you love the company and product(s) enough, it doesn't seem as daunting as another job might be.

good at all

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Proswe are going to change the world

Consgood culture, value, training , and benefits

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I could not be more proud to be part of this company. I am humbled.

Product Excellence Powertrain Technician (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsRevolutionary, innovative, and audacious are understatements of this company. Technological breakthroughs of the century and we are on the fore fronts of it all. I would not want to be anywhere else. There is not anywhere else.

ConsThe food in the cafe.

amazing experience part of making history with this company!

Technician (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAwesome drive by this company. cross training was a great experience to understand the big picture of goals that Tesla has.

ConsLong hours can take anyone to feel restless, but well worth the reward of completing the job.

Great company but has growing pains

Technician (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsITs great working somewhere where you believe in the product.

Consdealing with inexperienced management, no follow through on policy. communication is lacking.

Advice to Senior Managementbalance is key. follow through with policy, etc.

Fast paced and determined

Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAutonomy to make decisions with very little oversight. If you have a good idea,

ConsJunior executive team, who are afraid to push back against the CEO to set realistic, yet aggressive, design milestones on program and project deliveries, which is costing the company hundreds of millions of dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the fat in the upper management with some experienced executives who know how to scale high volume manufacturing. Provide employee benefits equal to our competition.

2.7 out of 5 stars. Start-up company feel is transitioning to become super corporate.

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros+Smart coworkers
    +Efficient and non-overbearing store managers
    +Overall friendly environment

Highly encourage young, smart people going to university and looking for a part-time job to apply, esp if you are an engineer or environmental science major. Great opportunity! Tips: If you interview, look clean-cut, wear glasses if you need them (majority of my co-workers wear glasses) and have a square, corporate vibe about you like a pressed, white collared shirt. Plus, speak very intellectually, articulately and with enthusiasm. The super corporate nerd is loved here!

Cons-Transitioning to become super corporate
    -The part-time job will be expected to be your number one priority
    -Corporate/district managers see you as a easily replaceable, systematic number.
    -Moving up the corporate ladder is very tight (expect to put in one year of part time before being considered for a full time position).

When I first got hired, Tesla had more of a start-up company vibe to it. Things are rapidly becoming super corporate and the way things are run, seems very systematic and machine-like. Before, it was more about overall customer experience. Now, it's be efficient, get their info, pass on the lead to make a sale.

Also, if you want to become full-time at Tesla, be aware that you start part-time 30hrs a week at $13/hr, no commission, for about a year before you will be considered for a promotion, even if your work performance is solid. Salary for a full-timer in sales is about $40,000 annually. Commission is $60-$70 for every car you sell. This is factual information. Yes, I do find it a bit strange that you get $60 dollars for every $100,000 car you sell, BUT on the bright side, you still get your $40,000. (Note: Sales and delivery positions count for 90-95% of the company's jobs)

Recently, they have been increasing entry-level position, part-time workers and decreasing the number of full-time workers because from a corporate standpoint, you do not have to pay healthcare, benefits, etc., less money to be put out. The goal is to have more part-time workers to do a full-time worker jobs for less benefits and less company expenses for the benefit of the corporation, as well as top shareholders. I think this model is a fantastic idea to follow if you own a big corporation. If I ever own a corporation, I want to follow this example to increase my wealth. Very smart idea!

Tesla Motors, though, is a good company, esp with the technology and innovative machines they are creating. I really hope they strive to help mother earth in 2-3 years with their $30,000-$50,000 vehicle to positively preserve the environment for the better of the every man. Realistically, how it's going, I think it'll be more towards the $40,000-$50,000 range vs. $30,000 because it has to make company profit.

Overall though, I hope that Tesla can positively impact the world and really help people in polluted cities and make the world a healthier and happier place to live in (while keeping it at an affordable price for the majority of people to buy for the sake of the environment)!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not just a number in the system. They are people and are part of your team! Positively encourage your employees vs forcing out numbers and they'll work even harder for you.

Excitement quickly turned to anxiety

Prefer Not to Say (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGreat technology, exciting growth potential. Production folks eager and proud to drive Elon's vision into reality.

ConsPower hungry managers/supervisors all jockeying for position I found made Tesla a very stressful environment to work in. Backstabbing & blame was a daily MO for many in positions of authority.
    Work life balance was non-existent; phone calls, emails in the post work hours and last minute shift changes or overtime demands made it impossible to plan any downtime with family or friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at yourselves and evaluate whether you are really providing your staff with the proper tools, attention and guidance that they need. You should see all your employees at least every week!! Not once a month or when something is wrong. Be the guiding force and not leave people to their own resources.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great atmosphere!

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat people and a great product

ConsTough to move up and manage mismanages expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing positive is good but be a little more realistic

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!