Tesla Motors

Updated September 19, 2014
3.6

Tesla Motors Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech (in 10 reviews)

• Free cereal and a soda fountain (Im easy to please) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not really good because you have to work long hours and sometiems weekends (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, it's not as bad as some make it seem however (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing

Current Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Work Culture is just awesome. Very open, and easy to fit into.

Cons

Very high paced, can get stressful.

Upper management needs to focus on driving prioritized problems.

Exciting technology, great co-workers, very long hours

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tesla is leading the world in automotive technology, including how the car connects to the user. Everyone I interacted with at Tesla, from peers to management to direct reports to the front desk personal, was a top notch employee. I don't think I've ever worked in a containing so many A players.

Cons

Extremely long hours. If you're salaried, expect to work 60-80 hours a week minimum. Successful employees at Tesla do not have kids and likely aren't married.

Everyone understands that the long hours come with a great reward, but be sure that you don't burn out your key employees.

very proud of my company

Current Employee - Marketing  in  La Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in La Mesa, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you wanna change the world ? you wanna stop the earth from burning from the co2? you want to be proud of your job every day ? yes its Tesla .

Cons

I just wanna say . the payment is too low for some position . can the boss feel what we feel every day ?

more money .

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic coworkers, good workplace enthusiasm, awesome opportunity.

Former Employee - Product Specialist  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great coworkers and store environment. Everyone has an exceptional enthusiasm for the company and for the work being done and that becomes infectious. The fast pace is rewarding and the customer relationships are the most valuable part of the job. If you're the kind of person who lives and breathes your work then there is a lot of upward mobility in this company.

Cons

The fast pace and strong work ethic can sometimes become overbearing as there is little consideration given to work-life balance. This is especially the case for the Owner Advisors who work minimum 70 hour weeks and are encouraged not to take vacations. If you're not 110% dedicated to Tesla's mission then you'll feel overworked and underpaid.

A better work-life balance and better staffing would go a seriously long way in improving morale and performance. Additionally, the level of work and professionalism put in by employees deserves higher pay.

Excellent entry level experience

Former Employee - NPI Materials Planner  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - NPI Materials Planner in Fremont, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was looking for entry level experience in supply chain and is exactly what I got in 3 months. The project was perfect for me to understand some of the basics in a great environment. Highly motivated engineers and staff, great team work, focussed leadership.

Cons

Long working hours, no work life balance, no second chance

I recommend that management be mindful of goals of interns and not take their career for granted.

Purchasing Specialist

Current Employee - Product Specialist  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing dynamic company. Good benefits. Stocks and medical. Money just so so.

Cons

Work life balance just so so.

More flexible with working hours for better work life balance.

GREAT COMPANY! I loved all the people and the experience here.

Former Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Dania, FL
    Former Employee - Delivery Specialist in Dania, FL

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to meet incredible people, to step up and be a leader in some incredibly challenging situations and to be a part of an inspiring movement.

Cons

Management is very under qualified to lead. I love Elon Musk and find him inspiring but my day to day management on location and regionally was very poor. I was also very underpaid for the work load and level of responsibility and commitment I had to show.

Employees are inspired by a great product, knowing they are making a difference and by having a clear and effective line of communication to their management. In particular I left because of management, the culture they set and how we on many occasions broke our ethics and honesty to cover our selves or meet a goal. I was never effected by this concern until I had to cover for my management. It is honesty which I greatly value and in the situation it was the reputation of my management/Tesla which put me in charge of the situation or it was my value for the truth. I take great responsibility in the matter and wish I chose differently and spoke up. I also wish management was more approachable and less defensive on these matters. It was sad to leave but I could not serve under a culture that allows such behavior. Before leaving I inquired into the companies willingness to conduct management training. The lack of receptivity was demoralizing; maybe I didn't take my concerns to the right person either. It was hard given the incredible accomplishments I made and the great reputation I had. I knew I had a long and prosperous future there. I left knowing I was going to stand by my values and that I made a point to everyone I worked with. I hope there was an impact in my stance.

Work Environment Is a Killer

Former Employee - Sales and Delivery  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Delivery in Fremont, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company mission
    Very admired company
    Technology is very exciting
    Expanding very rapidly
    Fast paced and challenging

Cons

Difficult personalities
    Needs more centralized company policies, most locations govern themselves
    Negative work environment

Everything trickles down from VPs and directors, they set the tone for how the company is run (some VPs more focused on themselves than people). Company politics need to be eliminated and promotions need to be based on experience or performance, not on who is friends with who.

4+ years of my life and counting

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The chance to contribute to something truly great. Stock options and decent health benefits. Growth potential as the company expands into new locations.

Cons

Ridiculously Long hours. Reactive approach to virtually all aspects of business. Il-conceived processes and policies. Inexperienced staff at every level. Lack of training and guidance. Executive and senior management is unrealistic in the expectations and execution of unattainable and unsustainable process and policy. The culture the company was founded on has eroded to cut throat unfocused corporate red tape that is completely disconnected with reality. Poor production and manufacturing standards and execution. Quantity over quality mentality in production. Work life balance is disproportionate heavily favoring the work. Annual reviews are not performed in a timely basis.

Set realistic goals and guidelines. Listen to the experience that has been hired. Stop trying to reinvent every wheel, every minute and at every step. Listen to the clients desires and not dictate them. Focus on the overall quality of the product. Loose the accordion approach to the production and daily work load. Perform the annual review annually. Tesla expects the highest level of performance and commitment from the staff. Tesla does not reciprocate this to it's employees. An employee should be able to expect the same level of performance the company expects from the employee.

Exciting product, disgruntled employees.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, awesome product. Very exciting work.

Cons

No work-life balance. Compensation and benefits are lacking compared to other jobs in silicon valley.

Work-life balance needs some work. Need to offer competitive silicon valley benefits to keep good talent.

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!