Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Tesla Motors Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk

Elon Musk

Pros
  • Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech(in 10 reviews)

• Free cereal and a soda fountain (Im easy to please)(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not really good because you have to work long hours and sometiems weekends(in 18 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, it's not as bad as some make it seem however(in 15 reviews)

good at all

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Proswe are going to change the world

Consgood culture, value, training , and benefits

I could not be more proud to be part of this company. I am humbled.

Product Excellence Powertrain Technician (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsRevolutionary, innovative, and audacious are understatements of this company. Technological breakthroughs of the century and we are on the fore fronts of it all. I would not want to be anywhere else. There is not anywhere else.

ConsThe food in the cafe.

amazing experience part of making history with this company!

Technician (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAwesome drive by this company. cross training was a great experience to understand the big picture of goals that Tesla has.

ConsLong hours can take anyone to feel restless, but well worth the reward of completing the job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced and determined

Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAutonomy to make decisions with very little oversight. If you have a good idea,

ConsJunior executive team, who are afraid to push back against the CEO to set realistic, yet aggressive, design milestones on program and project deliveries, which is costing the company hundreds of millions of dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the fat in the upper management with some experienced executives who know how to scale high volume manufacturing. Provide employee benefits equal to our competition.

Great company but has growing pains

Technician (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsITs great working somewhere where you believe in the product.

Consdealing with inexperienced management, no follow through on policy. communication is lacking.

Advice to Senior Managementbalance is key. follow through with policy, etc.

Excitement quickly turned to anxiety

Prefer Not to Say (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGreat technology, exciting growth potential. Production folks eager and proud to drive Elon's vision into reality.

ConsPower hungry managers/supervisors all jockeying for position I found made Tesla a very stressful environment to work in. Backstabbing & blame was a daily MO for many in positions of authority.
    Work life balance was non-existent; phone calls, emails in the post work hours and last minute shift changes or overtime demands made it impossible to plan any downtime with family or friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at yourselves and evaluate whether you are really providing your staff with the proper tools, attention and guidance that they need. You should see all your employees at least every week!! Not once a month or when something is wrong. Be the guiding force and not leave people to their own resources.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great atmosphere!

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat people and a great product

ConsTough to move up and manage mismanages expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing positive is good but be a little more realistic

They will work you until you can't work anymore

Production Associate (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGreat benefits from the day 1 (no probational period)
    Very exciting being a part of launching the vehicle initially
    Rewarding experiences from adverse situations
    Most co-workers are good people

ConsA year after launch the company atmosphere shifted in a negative way
    Open door policy disappeared
    At the end of the day the production number rules all (forget vacation)
    Scheduling is handled poorly
    Promotions are heavily influenced by favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions should be based on quality of work, too many instances where undeserving associates were promoted because of their personal relationships with middle management. Find a way to cut down on company politics.

Awesome place to work

Firmware Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros-Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech. Work is very fulfilling and interesting.
    -Good atmosphere for talking about engineeringy stuff w coworkers
    -Free cereal, oatmeal, coffee, milk, OJ
    -Learning a lot. Coworkers are very intelligent and professional.
    -Good work life balance, at least on my team. Everyone sticks to 40hr weeks, more or less.

Cons-Intern pay is about a third of what I'd be receiving from other software companies ($15/hr here + $500 total relocation stipend, ~$40/hr + $3000 relocation stipend is what friends and I have been offered from other places). I suppose

Opportunities in every direction; most people are passionate, professional, and driven

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

Pros- Everyone has their head in the game. Lots of focus and drive, few petty complaints (at least in my area)
    - Growing pains = tons of opportunities everywhere to get involved in.
    - Free cereal, soda, Peet's coffee, popcorn (Wednesdays)

Cons- Need more structure in prioritization for IT resources
    - Facilities seems to working hard to spruce up the office; since this was initially a factory there are lots of areas for improvement

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!