Tesla Motors Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.6

Tesla Motors Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech (in 10 reviews)

• Free cereal and a soda fountain (Im easy to please) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not really good because you have to work long hours and sometiems weekends (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, it's not as bad as some make it seem however (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Purchasing Specialist

Current Employee - Product Specialist  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing dynamic company. Good benefits. Stocks and medical. Money just so so.

Cons

Work life balance just so so.

More flexible with working hours for better work life balance.

GREAT COMPANY! I loved all the people and the experience here.

Former Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Dania, FL
    Former Employee - Delivery Specialist in Dania, FL

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to meet incredible people, to step up and be a leader in some incredibly challenging situations and to be a part of an inspiring movement.

Cons

Management is very under qualified to lead. I love Elon Musk and find him inspiring but my day to day management on location and regionally was very poor. I was also very underpaid for the work load and level of responsibility and commitment I had to show.

Employees are inspired by a great product, knowing they are making a difference and by having a clear and effective line of communication to their management. In particular I left because of management, the culture they set and how we on many occasions broke our ethics and honesty to cover our selves or meet a goal. I was never effected by this concern until I had to cover for my management. It is honesty which I greatly value and in the situation it was the reputation of my management/Tesla which put me in charge of the situation or it was my value for the truth. I take great responsibility in the matter and wish I chose differently and spoke up. I also wish management was more approachable and less defensive on these matters. It was sad to leave but I could not serve under a culture that allows such behavior. Before leaving I inquired into the companies willingness to conduct management training. The lack of receptivity was demoralizing; maybe I didn't take my concerns to the right person either. It was hard given the incredible accomplishments I made and the great reputation I had. I knew I had a long and prosperous future there. I left knowing I was going to stand by my values and that I made a point to everyone I worked with. I hope there was an impact in my stance.

Hello Tesla, goodbye personal life!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cutting edge technology. You get to be on the ground floor of a high profile, disruptive, "sexy" organization. You get to tell everyone you work at Tesla Motors. Everyone will assume you drive a Tesla. It's sink or swim, so it's a great place to learn new things (or sink). You'll never be bored.

Cons

A culture that values workaholism. Zero work-life balance and high burnout rate. Stingy compensation. Management often portrays a "what have you done for me lately", negative attitude. Healthcare coverage has been on a slow decline for the past several years. Some departments are known to have volatile, insult shouting Managers.

Focus more on making employees feel valued and less like a raw material. Concentrate less on recruiting and more on preventing burnout.

Stop using the "we're a startup" excuse during salary negotiations. It's insulting when headlines from the same day reflect record share price.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work

Former Employee - Powertrain Sub-assembly
    Former Employee - Powertrain Sub-assembly

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are fun.
    Free cereals, coffee, tea, milk, and sodas. Pop corn on Wednesday.

Cons

Everyday finish work time fluctuate daily in certain department. Management not too organize. Hard work reward not recognize unless you brown nose. Minimal pay raise semi-annual

Hard work reward should be recognized without having to brown nose. Nurture workers to develop their potential.

Super chaotic

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, fast paced, dynamic setting. Excellent product. Innovative and scrappy environment. It is great to work for a company that is truly changing an industry. Many people very hard working people.

Cons

Violent outbursts from upper management. No work-life balance. Little direction from superiors about company or personal goals. Little recognition for accomplishments.

Provide regular structured feedback and encouragement for the many exceptional contributions made by employees. Management is unapproachable, uncommunicative and very defensive about all decisions made.

So far, so good... I'm enjoying the ride!

Current Employee - Product Specialist  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Tesla Motors part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love interacting with guests. If you don't enjoy greeting people and starting the conversation, this is not the place for you.

Cons

I'm learning more about my own personal growth as I blend into the culture.

Continue to support!

Grateful to work for Tesla Motors

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free drinks and cereal.
    Great employees.
    New technology and knowing were changing the world one car at a time.
    Transportation provided by Tesla.
    Valet parking
    Stock options

Cons

Management puts up new hiring positions but they already picked the employee out of favouritism before reviewing other internal applicants resumes.

Management also lack leadership and don't understand the work their technicians do.

Human resource takes no action against management and supervisors mistakes.

Pay rate is very low and pay raises are all based on how much you bug or brown nose management for a raise instead of performance.

Take care of your people or else the people will gather together in masses as one unit to push you out of the department.
    Treat your employees just like you'll like to be treated yourself.

Incredible Company, expect to work like a startup

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for Tesla you are always on the cusp of technology, awesome coworkers, and incredible cars. Most of the people that work here are incredibly smart and passionate about the company, car and the future. They provide training for the position, if you're qualified and they can prime you for promotion. Promotions are definitely preferred from within, so expect to move up as the company expands and grows.

Cons

The hours are insane. There is no avoiding that. They hire one person to do 3 people's job...and it shows. With that being said, when you love the company and product(s) enough, it doesn't seem as daunting as another job might be.

amazing experience part of making history with this company!

Former Employee - Technician  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome drive by this company. cross training was a great experience to understand the big picture of goals that Tesla has.

Cons

Long hours can take anyone to feel restless, but well worth the reward of completing the job.

Very smart, courteous people. Great interview!

Current Employee - Senior Electronic Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Electronic Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unbeatable health benefits, great stock options. Excellent, fast paced environment. Great coworkers!

Cons

Pay is not as good, especially for Bay Area, but hey, you're working for the world's best startup company!

Keep up the awesome work!

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!