Tesla Motors Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.6

Tesla Motors Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech (in 10 reviews)

• Free cereal and a soda fountain (Im easy to please) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not really good because you have to work long hours and sometiems weekends (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, it's not as bad as some make it seem however (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Hello Tesla, goodbye personal life!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cutting edge technology. You get to be on the ground floor of a high profile, disruptive, "sexy" organization. You get to tell everyone you work at Tesla Motors. Everyone will assume you drive a Tesla. It's sink or swim, so it's a great place to learn new things (or sink). You'll never be bored.

Cons

A culture that values workaholism. Zero work-life balance and high burnout rate. Stingy compensation. Management often portrays a "what have you done for me lately", negative attitude. Healthcare coverage has been on a slow decline for the past several years. Some departments are known to have volatile, insult shouting Managers.

Focus more on making employees feel valued and less like a raw material. Concentrate less on recruiting and more on preventing burnout.

Stop using the "we're a startup" excuse during salary negotiations. It's insulting when headlines from the same day reflect record share price.

GREAT COMPANY! I loved all the people and the experience here.

Former Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Dania, FL
    Former Employee - Delivery Specialist in Dania, FL

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to meet incredible people, to step up and be a leader in some incredibly challenging situations and to be a part of an inspiring movement.

Cons

Management is very under qualified to lead. I love Elon Musk and find him inspiring but my day to day management on location and regionally was very poor. I was also very underpaid for the work load and level of responsibility and commitment I had to show.

Employees are inspired by a great product, knowing they are making a difference and by having a clear and effective line of communication to their management. In particular I left because of management, the culture they set and how we on many occasions broke our ethics and honesty to cover our selves or meet a goal. I was never effected by this concern until I had to cover for my management. It is honesty which I greatly value and in the situation it was the reputation of my management/Tesla which put me in charge of the situation or it was my value for the truth. I take great responsibility in the matter and wish I chose differently and spoke up. I also wish management was more approachable and less defensive on these matters. It was sad to leave but I could not serve under a culture that allows such behavior. Before leaving I inquired into the companies willingness to conduct management training. The lack of receptivity was demoralizing; maybe I didn't take my concerns to the right person either. It was hard given the incredible accomplishments I made and the great reputation I had. I knew I had a long and prosperous future there. I left knowing I was going to stand by my values and that I made a point to everyone I worked with. I hope there was an impact in my stance.

Purchasing Specialist

Current Employee - Product Specialist  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing dynamic company. Good benefits. Stocks and medical. Money just so so.

Cons

Work life balance just so so.

More flexible with working hours for better work life balance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grateful to work for Tesla Motors

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free drinks and cereal.
    Great employees.
    New technology and knowing were changing the world one car at a time.
    Transportation provided by Tesla.
    Valet parking
    Stock options

Cons

Management puts up new hiring positions but they already picked the employee out of favouritism before reviewing other internal applicants resumes.

Management also lack leadership and don't understand the work their technicians do.

Human resource takes no action against management and supervisors mistakes.

Pay rate is very low and pay raises are all based on how much you bug or brown nose management for a raise instead of performance.

Take care of your people or else the people will gather together in masses as one unit to push you out of the department.
    Treat your employees just like you'll like to be treated yourself.

Unrealistic Environment(Software)

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

1)Big environment 2)Many hard working people 3) Vast project and better learning curve.

Cons

1) Even project is vast & complex, severe lack of technical documentations. Need to heavily depend on people(not document) which is very time consuming job and hard too.
    2) Very unrealistic deadlines one side and not able to use resources all the times other side. Both are not good sign.
    3) If they assign any job, they want result immediately(right now) irrespective of complexity, size,quality etc.,. Continuous emails, phone calls, texting in the form of follow up(even in the late hours and week ends to resources mobiles).
    4) Putting people to work on late hours and week ends. If people not able to accept(step 3 & 4) then quickly declare like 'performance is poor' plus add their own stories and remove the resources quickly. Not able to expect work life balance here.
    5) Seems, most people improve technically well when they get experience. But many people not able to improve in leadership skill side even if they got sufficient experience and worked in very best companies. It is very hard to digest their man power handling.

1) Self analysis can give many answers 2) Trust on cordial atmosphere.

Great company that is growing rapidly

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time

Pros

Great vehicles and a fast growing company that is good to be a part of. As a technician everything you need to learn about Tesla is provided on the Company website. Good training facilities and overall great vehicles to work on. Compensation is ok if you have some prior experience. Ability to apply for different positions within the company after time. ASE reimbursement. Travel to other states or countries to support vehicles from time to time. Good health benefits, paid time off accumulates quickly. Hourly, no flat rate.

Cons

As a vehicle technician at the service center level you're shop is only as good as the people running it. Unfortunately the service center I was employed at did not treat its' employees all that well. Mismanaged and disorganized.Foreman did not help at all and yelled at us for not knowing everything when he wouldn't get off his seat and help us in the first place. He wouldn't even call us by our names. Team leaders assigned for no reason when the foreman could do that himself. Requests and respect of privacy for your requests to service manager not taken seriously and laughed at among other associates. Room for growth is extremely limited at the service center level. Raises or cost of living are not to be mentioned ever. You were forced to stay late without being asked first, it was expected. Or else, you get yelled at. They micro manage you and treat you like you are a little kid. You are paid hourly, but the shop is ran like a flat rate shop.

Build your team. Team building is extremely important. Treat associates of the company like they actually mean something. Respect goes a long way. A foreman who actually helps out and works on cars would be a big help.
    A service manager who actually talks and listens to you. A service manager that respects your requests and privacy of your requests. No flat rate mentality, no clicks within the shop. Tesla is not supposed to be like that.

So far, so good... I'm enjoying the ride!

Current Employee - Product Specialist  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Tesla Motors part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love interacting with guests. If you don't enjoy greeting people and starting the conversation, this is not the place for you.

Cons

I'm learning more about my own personal growth as I blend into the culture.

Continue to support!

Incredible Company, expect to work like a startup

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for Tesla you are always on the cusp of technology, awesome coworkers, and incredible cars. Most of the people that work here are incredibly smart and passionate about the company, car and the future. They provide training for the position, if you're qualified and they can prime you for promotion. Promotions are definitely preferred from within, so expect to move up as the company expands and grows.

Cons

The hours are insane. There is no avoiding that. They hire one person to do 3 people's job...and it shows. With that being said, when you love the company and product(s) enough, it doesn't seem as daunting as another job might be.

Very smart, courteous people. Great interview!

Current Employee - Senior Electronic Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Electronic Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unbeatable health benefits, great stock options. Excellent, fast paced environment. Great coworkers!

Cons

Pay is not as good, especially for Bay Area, but hey, you're working for the world's best startup company!

Keep up the awesome work!

2.7 out of 5 stars. Gave 2 weeks notice and quit. Start-up company feel is becoming super corporate. It's getting bad.

Former Employee - Product Specialist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors part-time for more than a year

Pros

+Smart coworkers
    +Efficient and non-overbearing store managers
    +Overall friendly environment

Highly encourage young, smart people going to university and looking for a part-time job to apply, esp if you are an engineer or environmental science major. Great opportunity! Tips: If you interview, look clean-cut, wear glasses if you need them (majority of my co-workers wear glasses) and have a square, corporate vibe about you like a pressed, white collared shirt. Plus, speak very intellectually, articulately and with enthusiasm. The super corporate nerd is loved here!

Cons

-Transitioning to become super corporate
    -The part-time job will be expected to be your number one priority
    -Corporate/district managers see you as a easily replaceable, systematic number.
    -Moving up the corporate ladder is very tight (expect to put in one year of part time before being considered for a full time position).

When I first got hired, Tesla had more of a start-up company vibe to it. Things are rapidly becoming super corporate and the way things are run, seems very systematic and machine-like. Before, it was more about overall customer experience. Now, it's be efficient, get their info, pass on the lead to make a sale.

Also, if you want to become full-time at Tesla, be aware that you start part-time 30hrs a week at $13/hr, no commission, for about a year before you will be considered for a promotion, even if your work performance is solid. Salary for a full-timer in sales is about $40,000 annually. Commission is $60-$70 for every car you sell. This is factual information. Yes, I do find it a bit strange that you get $60 dollars for every $100,000 car you sell, BUT on the bright side, you still get your $40,000. (Note: Sales and delivery positions count for 90-95% of the company's jobs)

Recently, they have been increasing entry-level position, part-time workers and decreasing the number of full-time workers because from a corporate standpoint, you do not have to pay healthcare, benefits, etc., less money to be put out. The goal is to have more part-time workers to do a full-time worker jobs for less benefits and less company expenses for the benefit of the corporation, as well as top shareholders. I think this model is a fantastic idea to follow if you own a big corporation. If I ever own a corporation, I want to follow this example to increase my wealth. Very smart idea!

Tesla Motors, though, is a good company, esp with the technology and innovative machines they are creating. I really hope they strive to help mother earth in 2-3 years with their $30,000-$50,000 vehicle to positively preserve the environment for the better of the every man. Realistically, how it's going, I think it'll be more towards the $40,000-$50,000 range vs. $30,000 because it has to make company profit.

Overall though, I hope that Tesla can positively impact the world and really help people in polluted cities and make the world a healthier and happier place to live in (while keeping it at an affordable price for the majority of people to buy for the sake of the environment)!

Employees are not just a number in the system. They are people and are part of your team! Positively encourage your employees vs forcing out numbers and they'll work even harder for you.

Worked for Tesla Motors? Contribute to the Community!