Tesla Motors

Updated December 18, 2014
3.6

Tesla Motors Chairman, CEO, and Product Architect Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • It is a small company trying to change the world, but it comes at a price (in 7 reviews)

• Company is doing a lot of really awesome things working with cutting edge tech (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is disproportionate heavily favoring the work (in 29 reviews)

• no work life balance work 6 days one day off (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced and determined

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time

Pros

Autonomy to make decisions with very little oversight. If you have a good idea,

Cons

Junior executive team, who are afraid to push back against the CEO to set realistic, yet aggressive, design milestones on program and project deliveries, which is costing the company hundreds of millions of dollars.

Replace the fat in the upper management with some experienced executives who know how to scale high volume manufacturing. Provide employee benefits equal to our competition.

amazing experience part of making history with this company!

Former Employee - Technician in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome drive by this company. cross training was a great experience to understand the big picture of goals that Tesla has.

Cons

Long hours can take anyone to feel restless, but well worth the reward of completing the job.

I could not be more proud to be part of this company. I am humbled.

Current Employee - Product Excellence Powertrain Technician in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Product Excellence Powertrain Technician in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Revolutionary, innovative, and audacious are understatements of this company. Technological breakthroughs of the century and we are on the fore fronts of it all. I would not want to be anywhere else. There is not anywhere else.

Cons

The food in the cafe.

Great company but has growing pains

Current Employee - Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ITs great working somewhere where you believe in the product.

Cons

dealing with inexperienced management, no follow through on policy. communication is lacking.

balance is key. follow through with policy, etc.

good at all

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors part-time (less than an year)

Pros

we are going to change the world

Cons

good culture, value, training , and benefits

2.7 out of 5 stars. Gave 2 weeks notice and quit. Start-up company feel is becoming super corporate. It's getting bad.

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors part-time (more than an year)

Pros

+Smart coworkers
    +Efficient and non-overbearing store managers
    +Overall friendly environment

Highly encourage young, smart people going to university and looking for a part-time job to apply, esp if you are an engineer or environmental science major. Great opportunity! Tips: If you interview, look clean-cut, wear glasses if you need them (majority of my co-workers wear glasses) and have a square, corporate vibe about you like a pressed, white collared shirt. Plus, speak very intellectually, articulately and with enthusiasm. The super corporate nerd is loved here!

Cons

-Transitioning to become super corporate
    -The part-time job will be expected to be your number one priority
    -Corporate/district managers see you as a easily replaceable, systematic number.
    -Moving up the corporate ladder is very tight (expect to put in one year of part time before being considered for a full time position).

When I first got hired, Tesla had more of a start-up company vibe to it. Things are rapidly becoming super corporate and the way things are run, seems very systematic and machine-like. Before, it was more about overall customer experience. Now, it's be efficient, get their info, pass on the lead to make a sale.

Also, if you want to become full-time at Tesla, be aware that you start part-time 30hrs a week at $13/hr, no commission, for about a year before you will be considered for a promotion, even if your work performance is solid. Salary for a full-timer in sales is about $40,000 annually. Commission is $60-$70 for every car you sell. This is factual information. Yes, I do find it a bit strange that you get $60 dollars for every $100,000 car you sell, BUT on the bright side, you still get your $40,000. (Note: Sales and delivery positions count for 90-95% of the company's jobs)

Recently, they have been increasing entry-level position, part-time workers and decreasing the number of full-time workers because from a corporate standpoint, you do not have to pay healthcare, benefits, etc., less money to be put out. The goal is to have more part-time workers to do a full-time worker jobs for less benefits and less company expenses for the benefit of the corporation, as well as top shareholders. I think this model is a fantastic idea to follow if you own a big corporation. If I ever own a corporation, I want to follow this example to increase my wealth. Very smart idea!

Tesla Motors, though, is a good company, esp with the technology and innovative machines they are creating. I really hope they strive to help mother earth in 2-3 years with their $30,000-$50,000 vehicle to positively preserve the environment for the better of the every man. Realistically, how it's going, I think it'll be more towards the $40,000-$50,000 range vs. $30,000 because it has to make company profit.

Overall though, I hope that Tesla can positively impact the world and really help people in polluted cities and make the world a healthier and happier place to live in (while keeping it at an affordable price for the majority of people to buy for the sake of the environment)!

Employees are not just a number in the system. They are people and are part of your team! Positively encourage your employees vs forcing out numbers and they'll work even harder for you.

Great company that is growing rapidly

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time

Pros

Great vehicles and a fast growing company that is good to be a part of. As a technician everything you need to learn about Tesla is provided on the Company website. Good training facilities and overall great vehicles to work on. Compensation is ok if you have some prior experience. Ability to apply for different positions within the company after time. ASE reimbursement. Travel to other states or countries to support vehicles from time to time. Good health benefits, paid time off accumulates quickly. Hourly, no flat rate.

Cons

As a vehicle technician at the service center level you're shop is only as good as the people running it. Unfortunately the service center I was employed at did not treat its' employees all that well. Mismanaged and disorganized.Foreman did not help at all and yelled at us for not knowing everything when he wouldn't get off his seat and help us in the first place. He wouldn't even call us by our names. Team leaders assigned for no reason when the foreman could do that himself. Requests and respect of privacy for your requests to service manager not taken seriously and laughed at among other associates. Room for growth is extremely limited at the service center level. Raises or cost of living are not to be mentioned ever. You were forced to stay late without being asked first, it was expected. Or else, you get yelled at. They micro manage you and treat you like you are a little kid. You are paid hourly, but the shop is ran like a flat rate shop.

Build your team. Team building is extremely important. Treat associates of the company like they actually mean something. Respect goes a long way. A foreman who actually helps out and works on cars would be a big help.
    A service manager who actually talks and listens to you. A service manager that respects your requests and privacy of your requests. No flat rate mentality, no clicks within the shop. Tesla is not supposed to be like that.

They will work you until you can't work anymore

Current Employee - Production Associate in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Tesla Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits from the day 1 (no probational period)
    Very exciting being a part of launching the vehicle initially
    Rewarding experiences from adverse situations
    Most co-workers are good people

Cons

A year after launch the company atmosphere shifted in a negative way
    Open door policy disappeared
    At the end of the day the production number rules all (forget vacation)
    Scheduling is handled poorly
    Promotions are heavily influenced by favoritism

Promotions should be based on quality of work, too many instances where undeserving associates were promoted because of their personal relationships with middle management. Find a way to cut down on company politics.

Excitement quickly turned to anxiety

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Fremont, CA

I worked at Tesla Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great technology, exciting growth potential. Production folks eager and proud to drive Elon's vision into reality.

Cons

Power hungry managers/supervisors all jockeying for position I found made Tesla a very stressful environment to work in. Backstabbing & blame was a daily MO for many in positions of authority.
    Work life balance was non-existent; phone calls, emails in the post work hours and last minute shift changes or overtime demands made it impossible to plan any downtime with family or friends.

Take a look at yourselves and evaluate whether you are really providing your staff with the proper tools, attention and guidance that they need. You should see all your employees at least every week!! Not once a month or when something is wrong. Be the guiding force and not leave people to their own resources.

Great atmosphere!

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Tesla Motors part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and a great product

Cons

Tough to move up and manage mismanages expectations

Being positive is good but be a little more realistic