Tesoro Corporation

www.tsocorp.com

Tesoro Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Tesoro Corporation – San Antonio – “Corporate Headquarters”

Tesoro Corporation President & CEO Gregory J. Goff

Gregory J. Goff

Great corporate culture and fantastic management team that are willing to take their time and share their knowledge!

Intern (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsYou have flexible hours, great pay, and great benefits. I started a summer internship this May and from the beginning have enjoyed working with the team, the HR staff, and have learned much from upper management. They care much about their culture, values, and even promote their core values and guiding principles very strongly. Their training, buddy/mentor, and new-comer programs are very well coordinated. Along with their new rotation program, internship program, and others. They even have goal setting exercises, assessments, reviews, and meetings to improve rapport. It may be hard work and a lot of work, but someone willing to work for the company would be a great fit. One hard worker who would be willing to spend their day with other great employees would enjoy even a single day there. They're always ready to help you grow as an individual as well as a part of the team and Tesoro Corporation as a whole. This is a great place to work, to grow, and to learn from great leadership.

ConsIt may take a while to move up the ladder, and interns may be paid at different rates based on their duties, but that's how it is. You're getting the real world experience. As an intern, the only benefit you get is holiday pay and time and a half overtime - but that's understandable. Other cons would be the problems with computer and program breakdowns, but the IT staff there is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would consider offering interns better, more competitive benefits as they will be the new generation to help the company grow - new minds, new ideas.

Intern

ProsBetter pay than most companies in San Antonio
    You'll learn a lot depending on what department you're working in

ConsIt gets tough to meet new people other than the ones in your team

The IT department lacks leadership which spill over into inefficiencies and failures that facilitates blame

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe company is growing and the overall temperature is decent. Tesoro has some strategic leaders in it's core operation. The company pays well, especially in the San Antonio market. Tesoro's leadership at the C-Level has vision that should continue to grow the organization. The company values well developed and advertised. Campus is nice.

ConsLeadership within the IT department is still learning on the job. There is a lack of leadership, experience and a sense of arrogance from within the IT VP team that permeates throughout the organization as distasteful, immature and incompetent. This is very evident as there has been at least three re-organizations within the past three years.
    Policies are lacking and not followed. The enterprise architecture runs the organization, making decisions for the VP as they try to understand the next trend through payed research resources and Google. Many within IT try to move into other departments because it is a good company, but your not in good company within IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced individuals to rebuild and operate the business. Truly re-organize by rebuilding the leadership team. Invest on your internal talent and trust their experience and contributions.
    Your strategies group is strategically misaligned with the business and IT.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company for Interns!

IT Intern (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat Internship program! The IT group was always very helpful

Consnoy enough interns during the school year

I have seen the company grow and become more and more corpratized. Bigger is not necessarily better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kenai, AK

Prosdecent benefits, week on/ week off rotation

Conscorporate management in San Antonio, work load

Advice to Senior Managementwe are non-union yet upper management fosters non-loyalty and makes people want to go union by constantly cutting benefits and making talented, hard working people look for other employment.

Good people

ProsBeautiful campus, very good benefits

ConsCliquish - inconsistent HR policies

Decent culture, very into safety.

Intern (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsPaid holidays as an intern, and 401k option (only kicks in after 1 year of service), good mentorship

ConsOlder culture, very conservative, not really willing to change

Great experience!

Risk Analyst (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsVery smart people searching for growth from the firm

ConsSmall relative to competitors in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand

Tesoro is a great place to work.

Facility Engineer (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsRoom for growth, pension, 401k and full benefits.

ConsA heavy workload. To move up you will have to move to San Antonio, TX.

Not bad for what it is

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsGood benefits, ok pay, free uniforms, good training program, good working environment

Consinefficient POS system, low staffing levels at times

Advice to Senior ManagementGive managers freedom to staff properly in order to maintain/enhance customer service

Worked for Tesoro Corporation? Contribute to the Community!