Tesoro Refining and Marketing

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bruce A. Smith

Great values

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong values in treating people with integrity.

ConsCompared to some international companies, Tesoro is a small company. But that does allow for more opportunity to stretch. But income can match small company value.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees experience and compensate appropriately.

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsCompetitive pay, benefits and great corporate campus.

ConsExponential growth leaves old processes obsolete.

Full of "lip service" in doing "The Right Thing" but allows discrimination and "Falsified " records to thrive. No truth.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Newark, CA

ProsOnly for people with less than strong ethics and morals.

ConsCompany would rather "mask" reality in exchange for "pencil-whipped" records.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at their senior management positions in the field who have total control of the "kingdom" particularly the Retail Area Managers(RAM) as they can set up a non favored employee to " fail" as the RAMS can dictate the rules,judge the results and met out the punishment according to their wishes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An excellent learning experience.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

ProsPlenty of opportunity for advancement

ConsEntry level benefits are not great.

Good place but Senior Management needs to be aware of their cuts

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsFlexible schedule, trust is earned. Benefits package is amazing. Sense of team and individual store ownership. Opportunities for advancement.

ConsHours can be grueling. There have been serious cut backs in the last 12 months that have severely hindered our ability to do our job.

Wonderful company to work for.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Ceres, CA

ProsReasonable wage and satisfactory benefits.

ConsNo room for career advancement.

Bad office politics

Specialist (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsA few people I worked with were very good, very professional, and compensation and benefits were above average. With operations in Alaska and Hawaii, corporate travel can be a good thing.

ConsI had eight supervisors in the six years I was there, only one of which had any experience in my specialty. She was gone in a matter of months. Promotions and advancements are strictly based on office politics -- good people were thrown overboard while kiss-ups, or the children of country-club cronies, zoomed up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne can only hope the recent changes in senior management will improve personnel management.

Senior retail management needs sensitivity training

Store Manager (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsQuarterly bonuses are issued. Tuition reimbursement, medical plan, and 401(k) are available. Flexible schedules. Paid vacation.

ConsTuition reimbursement is issued to those who are pursuing in an educational field that will benefit the company. As far as I can tell, the available educational majors would be marketing or petroleum engineering. Medical plan is offered by Starbridge, which is NOT, I repeat, NOT a real health care insurance group. Company will match dollar-for-dollar, up to 6% of employee's pretax income.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost, if not all, senior retail management needs sensitivity training. Just because their underlings earn low wages does not mean their employees are inferior beings. Belittling your employees and making absurd remarks, such as, "Why are sales down? It looks like you haven't been plus selling. It also looks like a new manager may be taking your spot if you can't improve the sales." I don't understand why senior retail management is not aware that there are many uncontrollable factors that affect sales performance. No wonder morale is low. Ever thought about boosting morale? It's as easy as showing some respect towards your employees.

Good & bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you manage to get into the good departments, it's very rewarding. Management is flexible and accommodating and can be very supportive and encouraging with the career paths you want to take.

ConsIf you manage to get into one of the bad departments, you'll be looking at a place where gossip and hearsay are the norms, the VP surrounds self with yes people who perpetuate this gossip, and criticism on personality and the like are the norm with nothing constructive. Favoritism also reigns.

Worked for Tesoro Refining and Marketing? Contribute to the Community!