Tessella

Alan Gaby

Very Enlightening

Analyst (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Tessella full-time

ProsVariety of projects
Quick promotion
Great work culture. Small and friendly staff
Bi-annual conference in England

ConsSmall office space
Lack of variety in project industries

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company - can become frustrating as you grow

Senior Analyst Programmer (Former Employee)
Burton upon Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Tessella full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCaveat emptor: I left the company 2 year ago so this information may be out of date:

- Very well run for an SME
- interesting customer project domains
- Quick progression through to more responsible roles eg Project Manager
- Training opportunities arranged by the company
- Career progression and pastoral support can be good (but depends on who your line manager is).
- Sales and PM process is transparent which allows junior staff to see how projects are won and run if they are interested. After working as a PM at Tessella you'll know more than most about the software services industry.
- The people are on the whole much smarter academically than almost any other company.
- Good salaries especially for those working in the north.
- Very high expectations.

Cons- Resistant to change and ideas from the rank and file.
- Internal system software is old and poor. Resistant to using 3rd party software.
- Senior managers tend to have come through the ranks and been with the company for much of their career. There are few fresh ideas. Eg the company were resistant to Agile long after much of the software industry had accepted it as standard.
- Thus - there are a few senior managers that are there because of the time they've spent at the company who aren't especially skilled in the sales and leadership roles they've found themselves in.
- Lack of diversity within the staff. Mostly white, male 20-30 somethings with higher eduction degrees in maths/science.
 - It's a very smug company. While the people are very smart and the company is well run, there is a certainty that the Tessella way is superior and alternative ideas are treated with suspicion.
- There's a promotion ceiling at the junior manager level where you can struggle to push beyond.
- Like any consultancy there is uncertainty over which projects in which locations you'll be working on in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff more. You hire exceptional people, then treat them like children. You're very lucky to have the employees that you have, but don't appreciate them sufficiently (despite thinking that you do).

They pushed me too far, I eventually resigned like the others

Senior Analyst Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tessella full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome good projects to work on
A free lunch with your line manager each month

ConsEvery penny must be extracted out of the customer at any cost. A bad feel to it all.
Terrible Internal Systems (timesheet program and Lotus Notes)
Computers are not good specification
Some people are paid very well, but they aren't worth it.
The Tessella Quality Manual informs you on how long your sentence is at each grade and before you are promoted. Serving time isn't about Quality! It is very hard to be promoted outside serving your time, except for the new job titles they make up every now and then.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management need to have worked in other companies to know how to manage someone properly.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glad to be employed, glad I resigned

Analyst Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Tessella full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood induction in to IT
The company pays for you to take Open University courses.
Annual pay increases (although the pay increase is small)

ConsThere's a club of older guys there that tend to out you down a lot
Some software architects can't do the job but they push you around a bit
Can be disorganised and the office is chaotic
Can have job insecurity if they don't find you a project to work on
Lots of discussion about improving internal IT stuff but with all the hype, it still is bad
Career progression isn't about ability but about getting brownie points

Greedy Senior Management and lots of lower-level staff worried about the next redundancy round

Computer Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Tessella full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome interesting projects to work on
Reasonable salary
Promotion is structured - it is like McDonalds, after 2 years you get promoted, then after another year or two and you get promoted to the next

ConsIt isn't your fault if there is no work. You are chosen for redundancy if you are not billing (in the redundancy rounds, no-one that was 'billing' was ever chosen in a redundancy round).
You can be put on projects that don't match your skills but you are just available.
You can be put on projects where you are 'just a pair of hands'
You can be put on projects that are boring. I am a scientist and I don't want to work on a mismanaged DIGITAL ARCHIVING project ever!
The internal systems used are dire. A timesheet program written in VB6, Lotus Notes, a home rolled CRM.
You have minimal autonomy and there can be micro management.
Lots of "know it all's" with opinions on everything.
Sales culture is to get every penny out of the customer. Often this means that there are stroppy email messages sent to existing customers for more money, and you as the software developer have to go and work there being a different face of the company and having to apologize for the hard sales tactics and behaviour.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the senior management, change the mid management.
Ask yourself why so many people leave dissatisfied.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Winchester, England (UK)

I worked at Tessella

ProsEverything was OK but then I worked in the Winchester office which has now closed. The Abingdon office has moved.

ConsThe general day to day activities all had to be recorded on a time sheet and you were critisied if you didn't have the right hours in place.

Worked for Tessella? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tessella reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tessella CEO Alan Gaby. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Tessella employees.