TestAmerica

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James E. Hyman

Pros:
  • "Ability to have a flexible schedule"
    in 20 reviews
  • "The hours are flexible, fun people to work with"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "There have been no raises in the last five years and a decrease in benefits"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Very low Pay, repetitive tasks at work that can get boring quickly, bad working environment because no one likes their job"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

In my experience with this company, I have found the environment to be fast paced and a high stress environmental lab.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Arvada, CO

I have been working at TestAmerica full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat environment for personal growth and the opportunity to take ownership for the work you do. The co-workers are a joy to work with and there is never a boring down time. There are many opportunities to challenge yourself in this company.

ConsThe work is very fast paced and numbers driven. If you do not handle stressful environments well, this is not the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe in treating all employees fairly. This does not mean treat all employees equally. Compensate the employees who are willing to work harder to show them they are appreciated for their work.

Get in, get experience, get out.

Analyst I (Former Employee)
Canton, OH

I worked at TestAmerica full-time for more than a year

ProsVery flexible work schedules-as long as you work your 40 hours, you're good.

Great co-workers (the ones in the trenches with you)-I made several lifelong friends.

When overtime is offered, you can work as much as you want. Good way to make some extra money.

ConsOh, where to begin...

SHAMEFULLY low pay. Some competitor labs are paying almost double salary for the same job. Absolutely NO raises, and no bonuses. After taxes and benefits, you're making just above minimum wage. Some fast food places pay more than this company.

Benefits are ok, but you're paying a ton for them. 401k match is laughable. STD/LTD you have to pay for yourself.

Morale is the lowest of anywhere I have worked. People just don't care about the work anymore, because there is no incentive to go above and beyond. No recognition, no raises, no bonuses, nothing but more work. If you screw up, it gets rug-swept and covered up. Or you get fired for something stupid. People come, do the minimum, and go home. It's just a paycheck at this point.

No room for advancement. People "climb the ladder" only if they know or are kin to someone at the top. Experience/seniority makes no difference.

Management is ridiculous. All they care about is money and making sure they (as salaried workers) don't have to work more than 40 hours a week. They couldn't care less about anyone below them. They keep pushing "ethics and responsibility", but they basically tell us to cut corners wherever we can and don't really care too much about sub-par data. They won't listen to workers ideas and they're all on a power trip. Too many chiefs and not enough warriors.

The CEO is a JOKE. Where they got this guy from, they should send him back. All he sees are dollar signs and doesn't give one iota of care to the people below his little group of minions. He cuts employees every chance he gets and tells managers to add the extra work onto the remaining people. Managers never take their fair share of that work. Benefits keep getting cut, pay doesn't improve, and morale goes down. The only two things seeing an increase are the workload and James Hyman's wallet.

The PM's and company execs suck-up BIG TIME to the "VIP clients" like DoD. The work is hard, limits are impossible, and the company gets paid next to nothing for it. We're expected to bend over backwards for a few measly dollars.

All the employees are either leaving, or thinking about leaving. There are better opportunities elsewhere.

Bottom line, it's easy to get a job here right out of school to gain experience, because turnover is so high. Get in, get your 2-3 years experience, and go elsewhere. You can't make a career out of this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees with a little respect and give them some incentive to stay. You should be ashamed of touting yourselves as "The Leader in Environmental Testing", and then have the nerve to pay a chemist $12/hr. Especially when you drag employees into monthly meetings to show them "how much money we're making!!". Spread the wealth out a little bit, or you're not going to retain any talent to keep making that money for you. Labs are closing, people constantly being laid off, impossible TATs, clients leaving. You can't keep expect employees to constantly bend over backwards for nothing. And GET RID of James Hyman. He doesn't care about anything but his own paycheck. At the current rate, I see this company folding within 5-10 years.

Environmental Sweatshop

Analyst II (Current Employee)

I have been working at TestAmerica full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can wear what you want to work (including sweatpants and t-shirts that say things such as "eat me" or other offensive slogans), you can say basically whatever you want without having to worry about getting in trouble, good job security because you're paid so little that they can't afford to fire you once you're trained.

ConsPay is terrible; benefits are constantly getting cut; raises are practically nonexistent and rarely happen; there is little to no room to advance (and even if you do advance, don't expect to make a competitive salary); during the slow times you're either furloughed or told you have to use your PTO or take unpaid time off; during the busy season, you're expected to work 55-60 hours a week and come in on weekends; management has no idea what's going on in the lab and often doesn't even know how to run the instruments in their own department; upper management only cares about sample turnaround time and how much money the lab makes; management pretends like following SOPs and EPA methods are of utmost importance, but when it comes down to it, they don't care what you do as long as you say the right things during audits and get the samples done on time so they can get their money; There is a very high employee turnaround; labs are constantly closing, and their work is divvied up to the other labs, so the workload is always increasing... I could go on forever, but I think you get the idea.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you rewarded the valuable employees by giving them raises, they would stick around longer, problems would be resolved faster and instruments would be down less. Also, less money would be wasted on unnecessary parts. There is a general "I don't give a sh*t" attitude amongst the employees because they are paid so little and know that they don't have to worry about getting fired because they are worth more to the company than the company is worth to them. Oh, and (at least at my lab) weekly goals are established, and if met, you are given a token that, if you collect enough of them, can be redeemed for a gift card. Managers expect you to bust your ass working 60 hours a week and come in on the weekend in hopes of getting a token the following week that's worth about $3. It's humiliating. Instead of giving the employees monopoly money, keep the $3 and give the good employees a raise every now and then.

WAKE UP HIG.....YOU'RE LOSING!

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Edison, NJ

I worked at TestAmerica full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome good people where I developed some life long friendships. At one time the Mideast Sales team was the best sales team in the industry, bar none. But poor management drove almost all of them to competitors. Great company to sell against....I never lose.

ConsHIG....too stupid and unattached to see what is happening. Hiring Hyman was a joke and will not work. He thinks he is smarter than everyone in the room and doesn't have a clue how this business rolls. He has also surrounded himself with highly educated dumbasses. Poor pay and every manager is covering their ass.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust cut your losses and sell this thing. The good people you have are only there because they don't want to bother going anywhere else. Your Operations GMs are idiots. Your sales people are stealing from you. Every time I see them I end up having them buy me drinks and dinner! They're too stupid to see that. Your GMs don't know the market. I beat you every time I sell against you. I even had one of your service centers sending me work. It's over....sell now!

The equipment is top notch but the pay isn't great. There is little chance for upward mobility.

Analyst III (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at TestAmerica full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI loved the freedom and the ability to take time off as needed.

Conspay, ability to advance, and ability to learn new things.

A bad company in a bad industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TestAmerica full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOk for entry level employees to get their feet wet for a year or two if pay and benefits aren't that important.

ConsA highly stressful and demanding environment. There are good people among the rank and file of this company, but they're leaving and taking away expertise that is not being replaced. The only decently paid employees are those who have put decades into the job and were around back in the days when environmental testing wasn't a bottom-dollar commodity and advancement and pay increases were still a reality. Newer employees might be able to move up into the positions of those who have given up and quit since this company makes no effort to replace experience with experience, but make note of your salary today because that's where you'll still be in five years. If you're a dedicated employee willing to tolerate salary stagnation, eroding benefits, and a mule-driver mentality, you can still learn a lot and apply it elsewhere. The goal of senior management under James Hyman is to stem the hemorrhaging long enough to attract a buyer more gullible than the current ownership (HIG Capital). From the perspective of an employee, Hyman and his cronies are a disaster. The key to understanding the senior management is to realize that they're not in it for the long haul. HIG Capital has been stuck with this company for too long and they want out. Good pay, good benefits, and caring about employees doesn't contribute to the goal of dressing up the bottom-line to attract a buyer. You see, Johnny, this company is the senior management's problem and they'd desperately like to make it some other owner's problem. Unless you understand this and are willing to live with this, then the joke's on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck attracting a buyer before there's one poor guy left doing all the work company-wide.

Decent place to start out. Gave me my first job out of college and were very quick to hire.

Analyst I (Former Employee)

I worked at TestAmerica full-time

ProsSome of the people are wonderful hard working people who will help any way they can and get the job done

ConsSome people really don't care about their work or the quality of the data they produce

Advice to Senior ManagementGrant more raises and better salary to attract better talent

Good experience for fresh out of school students and those seeking short term positions

Laboratory Technician (Former Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I worked at TestAmerica as an intern for less than a year

ProsCan be relocated to different locations across the states, meaning plenty of chances for business travel for laboratory analysts

ConsVery low Pay, repetitive tasks at work that can get boring quickly, bad working environment because no one likes their job

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and more social events for the employees perhaps will save the dying work environment

A sad situation.....

I have been working at TestAmerica full-time for more than 10 years

Proshard-working, committed staff
compassionate local management

Conspay is embarrassing for such a tehnical field
Executive Management is not in touch with employees and are only concerned about maximizing profits to sell business, which is misaligned with employees who want a career
very high turnover and horrific morale

Advice to Senior Managementpeople are your strongest asset - equipment does not run itself & eperience, technical expertise are critical

Very demanding production lab

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TestAmerica full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexibility, location, co-workers, basic benefits.

ConsLow moral, poor loyalty from upper management, no investment in equipment or employee retention at our local lab, no compensation increases from year to year.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward skilled employees with appropriate compensation increases and keep up with equipment improvement across all labs.

Worked for TestAmerica? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TestAmerica reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TestAmerica CEO James E. Hyman. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by TestAmerica employees.