Testronic Labs Reviews

2.5
Testronic Labs CEO Seth Hallen
Seth Hallen

1. Interesting Experience

Current Employee - QA Localisation Tester in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - QA Localisation Tester in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Testronic Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun laid back environment if you do your job. The work is interesting and there is always something to do.

Cons

There is a feeling of instability with many veteran employees leaving and expressing dissatisfaction about management decisions.

Advice to Management

If you are losing so many skilled veterans from the company then there is something obviously wrong about the decision making process

2. Good for newcomers otherwise stay away

I worked at Testronic Labs as a contractor

Pros

- Excellent professionals: probably the most qualified Loc QAs I shared projects with (not sure about this anymore, see below) - Good environment: line workers (testers, leads, coordinators) are very supportive and welcoming - Outstanding projects: major AAA releases, interesting titles overall

Cons

- Salary: Average by industry standards but quite low by London's - being an expensive city to live - Scheduling: the company does not make even the slightest effort to schedule ahead, claiming 'it's the publisher who decides when you are going to be needed'. Naturally, this means that the whole point of being on a flexible contract is moot - you may be asked to work on a Monday late Friday, or even asked to do overtime on the Weekend with no heads up. Yes, you can refuse, but you're missing chances when it comes to staying in your project. Unlike other similar companies management shows no bargaining power (because they don't want to) - Location: starting on late August 2015 they're moving to South London, getting there will be more inconvenient than current location around London Bridge - Opportunities: it takes a long time to become a Lead or Coordinator. Sometimes Testers will be asked to step up to a Lead role in some project, and Leads will end up doing the Coordinator work - with no perks or bonuses for going the extra mile. Mind that this is not done so employees can prove themselves and be promoted, it's just for the sake of saving money - Company ethics: There was a change of management recently. And it shows. People who have been with a permanent contract with the company for 3-4 years have been 'kindly' asked to leave, or given the opportunity to become 'flexible' (as in: continue working but under a Zero Hour contract). It was not handled in a very human way (not even a 'thank you').

Advice to Management

When I joined Testronic is was one of the best localisation services providers around. Months after I left most of their best talent is already gone. Congratulations management, you managed to deplete your talent pool and get rid of what made you outstanding. In a very coward way, I might add. I would only recommend a job here as a tester if: - you are looking for a stepping stone to get into the industry - when there's idle time between other projects Under NO circumstances try to start a serious career here, there are better options elsewhere.

3. Less and less stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Testronic Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great co-workers, leads and coordinators - Interesting projects and great games - Not pressured too much when testing - Free coffee and fruit

Cons

- Poor management decisions - Management are sometimes disrespectful - No incentives or training after you start work - Below London living wage for testers - Very little opportunity for promotion or career

Advice to Management

Pay your testers a decent London living wage and offer more fixed-term contracts. Stop laying off the most experienced and skilled testers.

wouldn't

I worked at Testronic Labs

Pros

Some good people, good location

Cons

rubbish politics, very poor treatment of staff, average salary

Advice to Management

I think the problem probably is the top tier of management.

6. Unfair employment conditions

Former Contractor - QA Localisation Tester in London, England (UK)

I worked at Testronic Labs as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My impression was very positive when it comes to the work atmosphere and the people I have met at the offices. Everybody I had to deal with so far was friendly and supportive. One advantage of this work is the flexibility to freely choose the days you are available for work and the option to choose between day- and nightshifts. So if you have a restricted schedule or particular preferences, this might be a benefit to you. Another positive point about this work is the diversity of colleges, who come from different countries.

Cons

The payment is unacceptably low for this kind of work and even lies below the London Living Wage. As your work will depend on projects there is no security when it comes to working hours. Employees get hired under a casual contract (= zero hour contract). Thus, the position does guarantee you any kind of continuous, steady income. As well there are virtually no chances of promotion or pay rise. The first ten hours you spent in the company will be unpaid even if you get employed thereafter ( this is 2 hours for an initial test plus an additional 8 hour working day for induction). Even if you like gaming, it is worth to consider, that sitting in a room with almost no daylight and a quite bad air (as the whole office is packed with desktop computers and other electronic equipment, which as a matter of course produce heat). The company's offices will be moving shortly from Borough High Street to East Croyden, which might be another inconvenience, depending on where you are commuting from.

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting your employees and offer a fair salary and working conditions.

localisation tester

I worked at Testronic Labs full-time

Pros

Great team. Always pay on time.

Cons

Bad facilities, low chances of promotion, bad salaries, no benefits.

Advice to Management

Give better contracts, include benefits for people that are not on zero hours.

From heaven to hell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Testronic Labs (More than 3 years)

Pros

On a low level this can still be a good way of getting a foot into the industry. By working in external QA you get a chance of working with many clients, from small to big developers, including on many AAA titles. The workforce is very diverse and there's a good, friendly atmosphere on each project.

Cons

Games QA is not known to be a part of the industry that treats employees well, but Testronic used to be a good exception where employees were happy and treated well. Unfortunately this is no longer the case, and during two years of constant restructurings the working condition have steadily gotten worse. With the latest management changes the company is constantly coming up with new ways of making time at work worse for the employees, and the higher you go, the worse it gets. People leave but don't get replaced, and the ones who remain are expected to pick up the extra work, even if it's above their role responsibilities. Instead of investing in the workforce and the people who have worked in the company for years to build up quality and experience, new ideas of saving money by cutting into people's payslips or pushing people to sacrifice their breaks or free time for the company are getting more common, and pay rises and bonuses are nowhere to be seen. The fact that everyone is trying to leave does not seem to bother management who are only looking at the figures for how many pennies were saved this week. This is a Quality Assurance company that no longer cares about quality, and will do all they can to get away with any dodgy practice possible, even if years of experience and knowledge are lost. The ones of us who remember what the company used to be like once, mourn it as we move on to better opportunities where we get appreciated and treated like people.

Advice to Management

If the company is doing as well as the newsletters say, invest in your staff. You will get much more out of happy, motivated employees than people you have tried to squeeze every last drop of effort out of. Keep treating people like this and no one will be left to care about the work performed.

9. Interesting experience

Former Employee - QA Localisation Tester in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - QA Localisation Tester in London, England (UK)

I worked at Testronic Labs

Pros

I worked as a localization games tester for a couple of months and it was an interesting experience. It was very unique to get paid to play video games all day and I found the job interesting even though you pretty much had to play the same game every day. The job was easy and most of the people were very friendly. My colleagues were from many different countries as the company had localization testing projects for many languages at the same time so it had a very international environment! In my project we had the opportunity to work overtime (we were always asked if we wanted to and we could decline if we did not feel like it). This was great as were able to gain some extra cash!

Cons

You could not really depend on this job as a source of income - it was more of a temporary job for students or for people who were looking for a permanent job. It was a project based job so you could only work for the duration of the project - it was not certain how long the project would last or whether another localization project would become available again in your language.

10. Just another "McJob" for testers at the bottom of the industry

Former Contractor - QA Localisation Tester in London, England (UK)

I worked at Testronic Labs as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You can take your first step into the QA and video-games industry through this kind of cheap outsourced companies. Good opportunity to learn. You can combine it with a part time job or a freelance job. Nice people. Relaxed, friendly environment.

Cons

For testers, this is not a real job, is a "McJob". You will work in "zero hours contract", what means that one week you work 3 days, the next week just 1 day, the next one maybe 2 or maybe none... You never know in advance, and, of course, they only pay you the hours worked. Very little chance to get a contract or a promotion. Some people waste years in this zero hours thing before they get tired and move on to a real job.

Advice to Management

Provide real contracts to your testers instead of zero hours contracts. One seasoned and well motivated tester works way better than two inexperienced and unmotivated testers.

It depends...

Former Contractor - QA Localisation Technician in London, England (UK)

I worked at Testronic Labs as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

If you love games, it's great place to be. You will be playing over and over the same title until the title is ready for release:) You will be playing titles long time before anyone else! There some pretty cool guys working in TL. Atmosphere is usually quite laid back, no one is stressing out or gives you crap (unless you do something really wrong - and I haven't seen that happening).

Cons

You can't be sure about tomorrow - shifts get cancelled and re booked, projects postponed etc. If you work on projects it's very difficult to estimate when are you going to be getting more work. Different situation is for those who has got a proper contract.

Advice to Management

Get more projects in and keep your staff informed.

RSS Feed </> Embed